Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #1

Slides

We are new to our Winnebago 33C Sightseer. Is it okay to put the slide out only part way. We will be staying a few nights in a Walmart or something like that. We want to put the slide out some, but not all the way. Will it damage the slide to do this? Thanks for you advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

Slides

Why would you not put the slide out all the way? Contrary to popular opinion, no one at Walmart will care if your slides are out on an overnight stop, as long as you're not blocking an aisle or driveway.

Procedurally, it is not a good idea to run a slide part way out. There are mechanisms in many slide setups that rely on the slide operating over it's full travel in order to work properly.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Why would you not put the slide out all the way? Contrary to popular opinion, no one at Walmart will care if your slides are out on an overnight stop, as long as you're not blocking an aisle or driveway.

Procedurally, it is not a good idea to run a slide part way out. There are mechanisms in many slide setups that rely on the slide operating over it's full travel in order to work properly.
We try to park so any slide we need to open is over a curbed area.

Our instructions say not to open a slide part way and stop it. All the way out or all the way in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
All the way out or nothing
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have Schwintek slides on both sides of the bedroom. When i bring the coach home, i always partially extend both of them.
Not sure what brand you have.

When retracting or extending, I always hold the button for a coupke of seconds at the end
of travel to resync them. No problems yet, but my bedroom slides are not too heavy.

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Mr_D;2927092]We try to park so any slide we need to open is over a curbed area.

This is the easiest thing to do. Just line up the side of your RV with the slide you want to operate next to the curb and run it all the way out. We've even seen people park in the middle of the lot and run slides and awnings out on both sides, not what I would do, but we've seen it done by others.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Seals might not be waterproof if the slide is only half way out because there is a seal on the inside of the slide surround in the coach that should contact the wall.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #8

One consideration is slides and jacks. Using slides without jacks can be a problem. Using jacks in a blacktop parking lot is probably not appreciated, especially in hot weather.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbyjo View Post
We are new to our Winnebago 33C Sightseer. Is it okay to put the slide out only part way. We will be staying a few nights in a Walmart or something like that. We want to put the slide out some, but not all the way. Will it damage the slide to do this? Thanks for you advice.
It is my understanding that this is not good for the slide mechanism. If you put the slide part way out and then stop one side may not stop in the exact same position as the other side. You need to run them all the way out and all the way in with no stopping in between. And as mentioned, make sure you have the jacks down and you are level. These slides are finicky to begin with so no need to aggravate them.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I don't put slides out at WM...or jacks, awnings, lawn chairs or anything else that looks like I am "camping."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #11

Talking

we stop, shop, and stay overnite quiet often at Wallyworld and the like, and have never had any issue, other than once a manager politely asked me to move down a few yards so that any delivery trucks could easily clear a turn near us.
Even with all of the 'No Overnite Truck or RV Parking' signs at many of these stops, we've never been even looked at sideways by any employees, and police vehicles have never given it pause. I'm also always interested, though, in all the other 'full timer' looking RVs that look as though they live there - Slides all out, legs down, and all this in the middle of the lot!

What I typically do is choose a far away spot, next to an outer curb if possible, and no where near the entrances or regular traffic lanes. I DO put out my curb side main slide since it provides room for movement inside, but I do NOT run it all the way out - just enough for the overnite. There is nothing that would make me pause about the slide being only partially out, and it has never been an issue - although, it is true that the weather seals can not do their job properly when like this - oh well. Yes, we also put our legs down for stability - they are not going to care.

Don't tell anyone, but we've even put out the tripod satellite dish on several occasions : )

pic: this week at Wmt at ZionNationalPark mountains, Hurricane, Utah - now thats a Wmt with a view!
Attached Images

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it will "hurt" the slide in any way, but the slide seals won't contact the sidewall and close out bugs, water, hot/cold air, etc. Not a good idea unless absolutely necessary, and not something I would do for even an overnight stay.

If you can't put the slide fully out without interfering with something, move to a different location. Or leave the slide in and do your best with the interior as is.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide