Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Slides In or Out?

Hello All...

In Dallas and the storms they are a brewin' all around us.

When you know heavy rain is possible/imminent, do you still leave out your slides or are you proactive and bring them in before the rain hits?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

for me...

Heavy rain - slides out

Heavy rain AND high winds - slides in

Slides in during very strong wind is as much to protect the slide covers as it is water leakage.

cheers,
Joopy

Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

Interesting. Just purchased 2016 cougar w/3 slides. If I bring in the slides. I am limited to being in the hallway. That won't work.
:-((((

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You know, I don't know what I'd do never having been in that situation since we got our first DP in 2000. The present rig weighs about 50,000#'s although I do need to weigh it to be sure. At 45' long and four slides there's a lot of area there for the wind to act on too. Plus we don't have anything but air leveling. I'd be sure the rig was aired down as far as it could go to keep the wind out from underneath for a start.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

Different coaches, different answers - and all trade off's...

We have the Carefree Omega II slide topper/window awning all in one. We find that strong winds at the wrong angle, really get the toppers blowing. I recall one time without the awing's down, that we could hear the topper extending, overpowering the spring restriction in the topper. Then the wind would let go, and the spring would bring the topper back taught again.

Even in just steady breezes, the topper flaps enough to make the dog nervous. (Wind, is not her friend!).

In heavy rains, without winds. We find the topper does not pocket as much water if we have the awing portion down.

In known moderate wind/rain forecast conditions. We leave pull down the awning portion of the topper/awning combo. And, I toss a line of the top of the middle of the topper. From from to back, and place enough tension on the forward/rear parts of the topper to pull them down about 2-3". This reduces the wind effect, and also completely stops the topper puddle on the bedroom slide, and greatly reduces it on the large living room slide. (Which is a deeper slide out then the bedroom.).

OK - So if we know we have heavy winds forecasted, and torrential rains or snow forecasted - we bring in our slides. We were in tornado siren warnings in Colorado last year, and brought the slides in. We were on the Oregon coast with 60+ forecasted winds, and brought in the slides.

Not as comfortable, but still livable. One of our conditions of choosing this specific coach.

So everyone needs to consider their coach, and comfort levels. And do what they feel is right.

And gang, we've been in some pretty good storms in our coach. And usually feel very safe and protected. Yeah, we're not used to sirens for tornado warnings going off. (Did not help that the park Ranger driving by got out of his truck to talk to a tent camper. Looked at the sky, said 'I'm out of here!' - jumped back into his truck and drove off. (Well, he did tell the tent camper to get to the restroom/shower area now. Where he told us the story... We'd already pulled in the slides. Unplugged the coach (Lightening all around us.). And followed the work campers as they went by on the way to the restroom. Figured they had more of a clue then we did!.)

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
for me...

Heavy rain - slides out

Heavy rain AND high winds - slides in

Slides in during very strong wind is as much to protect the slide covers as it is water leakage.

cheers,
Joopy
X2.

We've pulled ours in maybe three times over the years when really strong winds hit.

The flapping of the roof cover can be annoying at times too.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I'm with Jupiter.... With one change - during heavy rains I might bring mine in just to dump the heavy water on my slide toppers.... Wind - mine come in... PLUS - I never leave the coach for the day to go sight seeing with my slides/awnings out.... Bad weather while I'm gone can leave a nasty and expensive surprise for me when I return...
Old 03-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I'm with Jupiter.... With one change - during heavy rains I might bring mine in just to dump the heavy water on my slide toppers.... Wind - mine come in... PLUS - I never leave the coach for the day to go sight seeing with my slides/awnings out.... Bad weather while I'm gone can leave a nasty and expensive surprise for me when I return...

I've had two blown off, one by a nearby tornado, so we never leave it out if we're not there. Turn our water off too, another story.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just left the MCD shade factory in McKinney TX (north Dallas) and I pulled in my slides because I have one loose slide out cover...the fabric really takes a beating in high winds.
About 10:30 am this morning the storm hit and I am glad I brought them in! It was coming directly against the side of my coach and my toad. It was raining and the wind was blowing so hard for a few minutes that the rain was being pushed up and over the side of my CRV and looked like the wake off of a supersonic fighter! It was really cool, but scary. I would have taken a picture, but just at that minute, the MCD technician arrived and opened my coach door....it blow wide open and almost blew him down....he threw up his arm and asked for help and I literally pulled him in and up the stairs. 10 seconds later he would have been a drowned rat! Fortunately, he held on to the door, so the arm didn't overextend (like most of our HRs and Monacos have a tendency to do. The coach next to me left his traveler up....I honestly thought it would be torn off, it was waving in the breeze so much. Afterwards we learned winds exceeded 60 knots and there was a lot of damage around the entire area.

BTW, the MCD shade folks are good people....you can park in their lot and hook up with 50 amp power while they work on the shades.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #10

For the protection of the coach during high winds it takes just a few minutes to bring in the slides. Rather be safe than looking for a repair facility for damage.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
For the protection of the coach during high winds it takes just a few minutes to bring in the slides. Rather be safe than looking for a repair facility for damage.
My thoughts exacally
Old 03-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Better safe than sorry. Maintenance gets expensive real fast.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #13

My coach is not designed to comfortable living, even for uncomfortable living, with the slides in. Even at a rest stop while on the road, if we are going to make lunch, I will extend at least one main room slide. Therefore: If we stay, it will be slides out. Since we have wheels, if the storm is expected to be that bad, we would probably move on.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #14

We bring the slides in. I've been caught in some high wind & rain storms (30 to 40 mph winds).

Tags
slide