Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slides - Old vs New

Considering our first MH purchase. Lurking here for a while there's obviously lots of complaints about defective sides.

In looking at an older coach like this one..

2006 Itasca Sunova 33T, Byron Center MI - - RVtrader.com

... the slide has some serious metal supports underneath. Is that old style design any better or worse than what's being used in current mfg?

What are the pros and cons of each?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anything from the rust belt, always look underneath and look for rust. The ad has allot of hype in it. To test the slide, run it out and in many times. Look at the rails when its out and see if there are any wear marks. Personally because of the hype and only one picture in the ad, I would automatically pass on the unit.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
i saw 15 pictures in add looks very clean nice motorhome
Old 09-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
i saw 15 pictures in add looks very clean nice motorhome
I see them now, my browser was being a moron. I still stand by my assessment of the ad though. NADA low retail is 49900, which means PP party should be less with the options. And always look underneath in the rust belt and open all the cargo doors. Many people have been surprised when they find rust, even though the outside looks good.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga80486 View Post
Considering our first MH purchase. Lurking here for a while there's obviously lots of complaints about defective sides.

In looking at an older coach like this one..

2006 Itasca Sunova 33T, Byron Center MI - - RVtrader.com

... the slide has some serious metal supports underneath. Is that old style design any better or worse than what's being used in current mfg?

What are the pros and cons of each?
You might get better responses if you explain what "defective slide complaints" you are concerned about. Then, maybe someone that has a Winnebago product with the same type of slides as the unit that you are looking at can chime in and tell you if Winnebago RVs built around 2006 experienced the problems that you are concerned about.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was concerned about numerous complaints regarding the Schwintek slides specifically on Challenger motorhomes.

In 2016 I believe they went from a 2 track system to a 3 track, (3trax), I assume to improve reliability.

But this older coach has metal tubes that look to be about 2" x 3" underneath and the slide moves with hydraulics instead of gears and cables.

It is a nice looking motorhome. Stored inside in the winter and very well cared for. I think it's a little over priced, especially since the tires are original and need to be replaced. It also doesn't have some of the more modern conveniences that i'm interested in like side cameras and a residential fridge (not thrilled about propane).

A lot of that stuff can be upgraded though, but I wasn't sure if the slides are better or worse than the current crop.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You never add options on NADA unless they are added over and above when it was originally sold. I doubt that they added leveling elec mirrors etc... after they bought it. You should start at the NADA low and subtract for having to buy all new tires. Look for the rust but if none looks like a nice coach at around 35K.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Rig appears to be well cared for and in good shape. The seller may not be familiar with NADA figures. The '$99225 list' was based on it's original price in 2006. The low and average retail prices would be the price including all the original equipment, almost all of the items he has listed as options were probably original equipment.

The slides: Newer schwintek slides run off of small (drill?) motors and a lot of the problems come from not operating the slides correctly. The motors are not connected together and can get out of sync and mis-align/jam the slideout.
The older slides you describe run on a track with rollers underneath, are hydraulic or electric powered and seldom had problems. There is a substantial weight savings going to the Schwintek system.
FWIW I just traded a 2000 MH and it never had a problem with the electric slide since new.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

To the OP you should be concerned with what slide mechanism is on the coach you buy. I'll likely get flamed over this but I believe the history books will not be kind to the use of in wall slide's. Actually in wall slides are great but many mfg's didn't use them smartly. All the in wall slide does is pull/push the slide in/out. If the slide was properly designed and supported (supporting the slide is not the job of the in wall slide) it would work like a champ....all day long. In 2015 some top motorhome mfg's are still dealing with epidemic problems with in wall slides. That tells me stay away.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
I see them now, my browser was being a moron. I still stand by my assessment of the ad though. NADA low retail is 49900, which means PP party should be less with the options. And always look underneath in the rust belt and open all the cargo doors. Many people have been surprised when they find rust, even though the outside looks good.
To use NADA correctly you have to know exactly what were options and what weren't. For instance on our '02 DSDP we traded in in Feb it listed things like 10 gal water heater in their options list but it was standard in our model. We did have the motor aid which was an option. Slides are figured in to the base model but they still listed them. You almost have to have the original build sheet to get it right!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
To the OP you should be concerned with what slide mechanism is on the coach you buy. I'll likely get flamed over this but I believe the history books will not be kind to the use of in wall slide's. Actually in wall slides are great but many mfg's didn't use them smartly. All the in wall slide does is pull/push the slide in/out. If the slide was properly designed and supported (supporting the slide is not the job of the in wall slide) it would work like a champ....all day long. In 2015 some top motorhome mfg's are still dealing with epidemic problems with in wall slides. That tells me stay away.
And Newmar got it right!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #12

Almost everything in a motorhome comes in the original build and are not a option when pricing the book value. Very few things are actually options when pricing blue book. Just because its on the options page doesn't mean it is. Low book of 47,200 average of 56,900. Where I live the asking price would be spot on priced to sell if it is in very nice condition, saw a mention of it going for $35k, not where I live unless it is a total p.o.s.

Tags
slide