Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is not so much the sq ft added by a slide but rather gaining room in the right places that counts. We can move around in the bedroom and living room dining areas without stepping on one another.

I'll admit to being worried about slide problems but it turns out needlessly, they work fine, do not leak, and make for a more enjoyable coach.

I should add we are seasonal and spend 4 to six months per time in our coach so if a person just uses a coach for weekend and weekly trips it might make a difference.

Your market for resale is much smaller without slides I would imagine.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #16

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
It is not so much the sq ft added by a slide but rather gaining room in the right places that counts. We can move around in the bedroom and living room dining areas without stepping on one another.

I'll admit to being worried about slide problems but it turns out needlessly, they work fine, do not leak, and make for a more enjoyable coach.

I should add we are seasonal and spend 4 to six months per time in our coach so if a person just uses a coach for weekend and weekly trips it might make a difference.

Your market for resale is much smaller without slides I would imagine.
Hi All..
This thread is of interest to me because we are changing from a 97 Eagle with no slides to a Travel Supreme with 4 slides..
During our snow-bird trip to Lake Havasu this winter we decided that maybe it was time.. Now we have been married for 48 years and for the most part get along.. My wife gets cranky when the weather isn't perfect and cold and she doesn't have anyplace to squirrel away in.. And I get cranky when she insists on watching Dr Phil!
But here is a big caveat i WOULD NOT buy a coach older than a 2000 or so with slides.. Why do think ultra high end coaches like Foretravel and Prevost didn't even offer them till then? Yeah, many did OK.. but lots were stuck with slides that wouldn't move.. And sometimes its not easy to move them back in..
PLUS, just think what cutting a hole into a coach of the size of slides without proper engineering and experience does to structural strength? Just ride in a Mid to late 90's coach with slides and you will see what I mean!
Yes, no slides does limit your market.. But it also lowers your price when shopping for one..
Just my .02
Ron Husak
97 American Eagle
04 40 dso4 Travel Supreme

Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Yes, no slides does limit your market.. But it also lowers your price when shopping for one..
Just my .02
Ron Husak
97 American Eagle
04 40 dso4 Travel Supreme
It also limits your price when selling one
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
slides or no slides

I have had both and would not even consider going back to no slides. As mentioned a little care and maintainence goes a long way.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't have slides. They were offered for our year. We are only in a 24 foot (25.5 actual) Class C. Decided at the time to go without them just to reduce complexity on a 2001 rig and lessen water intrusion risk. Kept the cost down. Gives us the option for more camping locations that are in the woods with nearby trees that we frequent. It is true that we will get less at resale but we paid less to start and it likely will work out to a wash.

We have friends with a trailer that has the slide covering the circuit breaker panel when it is not extended. The breaker tripped and it had to be extended manually. Stupid design in their case.

There are a few manufacturers that still don't put them in. Lazy Daze - which are great Class C RVs is an example.

When we upgrade many years from now I certainly will consider them if the layout is right. I've been in rigs with them and know several happy owners and only a few with complaints.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #20

I own a 2007 Coachman Mirada 30 ft class A with no slides. It was what I could afford. Slides on a comparable unit we're going for 10k more. Yes, it is tight with more than 2 people, but I mainly use it for weekend trips. Next one will be with slides!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #21

Our first MH was a 34' without slides. We quickly discovered it was difficult for 2 people to be standing at the same time while preparing/cleaning up after a meal. One of us had to sit down! Toss in a dog or 2 laying on the floor, and our decision to upgrade to a coach with a slide didn't take very long at all! Took a huge bath selling the 34' we had spent a lot of time and money on so we could take it anywhere without concern, then a ton more to get a coach with a slide. 2 years and 15K miles later we haven't looked back. It was a great choice for us! Would have been much nicer to know what we were doing well enough to have skipped that first coach though.....
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #22

Have 4 slides, which is what we wanted. What we didn't know to look for, as we were dumb newbies, was whether you could access necessary spaces while the slides were in. Fortunately, we got lucky on that one as ours has access. It wasn't because we knew what to look for. I've since read more times than I can count to make sure you have access, so obviously, there are coaches that restrict. We wouldn't consider a coach without slides.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #23

I am very much in the "definitely worth it, but make sure that you can use the coach with them pulled in" camp.

We often think they aren't a big deal, but then, say, you go somewhere for a few days, and when you bring them in, your first thought is "awww...where did the space go?"

I also agree that not having slides will make a real impact in selling price if you ever part with the unit, especially in the larger motorhomes.

Steve
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
4 slides in ours MH and so far no big regrets. Face it, unless you have the $$$ to custom order one to your specifications, you will find things you wish you could change. (Even then, with a S&B mentality, some will see issues they didn't like even after that.)

Each model will have its own set of pro vs. con issues that are specific to that model so here are mine. Keep in mind that my floor plan is a bit unique compared to most with a center W/D/storage space just in front of the bedroom. We also made it a requirement that it have a king bed and split bathroom. The later is a little less efficient in floor space use but...I need my private time.

Pro - Slides out = HUGE space difference. All other things that would be "pro" would hinge on this important factor.

Con
1. 4 slides = lots of added weight and without a tag the CCC is (IMHO) not acceptable for full time use and maybe not even part time use unless one travels without full water. There are some non-tag 4 slide MHs but the CCC is very limited. Even a 3 slide non-tag might present some problems depending on how heavy one wants to travel but generally much higher CCC over a 4 slide non-tag. Many 3 slide non-tag MHs are absolutely wonderful for FT use.

2. Slides in - Can not access midship entertainment center, A/V controls and drawers below it. Need to have entertainment control set up for "CG Walmart" if you want to watch TV with slides in.

3. Slides in - Can not access the following bedroom areas; dresser drawers, cabinet below TV, or curb side closet. The main closet is accessable after crawling over the KING bed but items on the driver side end are extremely hard to get to.

4. Slides in - Bedroom entry is very narrow. Medium sized boxes might not fit through the entry.

5. Slides in - mid-ship movement area is not horrible but if someone has mobility issues it could be a challenge to get around.

So, in regards to slides, it is a trade off of what is more important. So, if you are satisfied with the CCC for the MH you are looking at some questions to ask about floor plan design are:

• What areas do you want/need unfettered access to while slides are in?
  • What areas/features become inaccessible with slides in?
  • Are there ways to comfortably/easily work around inaccessible areas/features?
  • Are you looking for a MH that will be driven around a lot or parked at CGs for "long" periods of time? (That may help prioritize slide and/or length needs.)
  • How easy will it be to access basement storage with slides out? Some MHs hang storage on the slides while others, like mine, do not. Bending under a deep slide can be a real pain but for the most part, that can be nearly eliminated by proper organization of the basement by placing commonly needed items (Chairs, grills and such) in compartments between slides and under the short side slide outs.
There are a lot of variation on the theme but these should be a fairly good starting point.

So, in the end, after listing all my con issues, we are still happy with our choice because we think we will be more served by the time we are slides out, than what we lose with the time slides are in.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first coach had no slides but then the type of traveling we were doing didn't really warrant them. We never stayed at one location very long. Since we've upgraded to this coach though they are a welcome addition for sure. Being retired we spend a lot of time in one location and though we only have two slideouts the extra room is great. Good luck in what you decide and have a great time traveling.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #26

My currrent coach is my first slide coach. And it only has two slides (bedroom and galley/living area). I love the room and my wife already speaks of upgrading again in a few years. However, most coaches today have 4 slides and I am concerned about mobility issues when traveling. At least with only two slides, there is still plenty of room inside while going down the road.

What's the experience with those of you who have more than two slides (especially in the living area)?
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #27

We chose an A class DP without slides, primarily because it just seemed to us that the vacation started when we left the house. The C classes and 5th wheels made us feel that our vacations started when we arrived at the destination. The A class with no slides gives 4 of us plenty of room and everyone was together, laying around, chatting, eating, etc... With the pull out, I felt (as the driver) that I was secluded behind the wall seperated from the fun.

So currently we have an older high end coach, no slides, we opted for the older model primarily because of what I explained earlier. Additionally, the older coach gave us a very hi quality with a much lower investment. No slides, lighter, less problems, fit into spaces better, full use of the coach without having to stop and pop out a slide, a parked coach looks less conspicuous without slides extended, full and easy access to all storage boxes, no water, dust or dirt intrusion issues, etc....

In my opinion we love our older coach without slides, using her a week or two at a time. If we were Full timing or long term stays in one place, we might consider slides, but that's not what we do.

Funny story, when we were shopping for a coach, standing inside the coach with 3 slide outs, one of the sales pitches was to explain how everyone is going to want to come hang out in the big coach... My first thought was why would I want everyone hanging out inside our coach. That pitch backfired on him and further convinced me that no slides was the best choice.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
So currently we have an older high end coach, no slides, we opted for the older model primarily because of what I explained earlier. Additionally, the older coach gave us a very hi quality with a much lower investment. No slides, lighter, less problems, fit into spaces better, full use of the coach without having to stop and pop out a slide, a parked coach looks less conspicuous without slides extended, full and easy access to all storage boxes, no water, dust or dirt intrusion issues, etc....

In my opinion we love our older coach without slides, using her a week or two at a time. If we were Full timing or long term stays in one place, we might consider slides, but that's not what we do.

Funny story, when we were shopping for a coach, standing inside the coach with 3 slide outs, one of the sales pitches was to explain how everyone is going to want to come hang out in the big coach... My first thought was why would I want everyone hanging out inside our coach. That pitch backfired on him and further convinced me that no slides was the best choice.
Excellent counter point based on what YOU want.

Love the story about the sales pitch...even with all our slides, we don't plan to be party central. I suppose on a rainy, gloomy day having room for a good poker game might come in handy though.