Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #29

Where are you going to find a RV without slides today? If you did you wouldn't be able to sell it later on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Love the story about the sales pitch...even with all our slides, we don't plan to be party central. I suppose on a rainy, gloomy day having room for a good poker game might come in handy though.
Hi Sky Boss, that sounds like a very gracious invitation. Ok, if I ever see your coach and it rainy or gloomy out, we are headed over for that poker game. Hope you have plenty of beer and popcorn. I just love our IRV2 family.

bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Where are you going to find a RV without slides today? If you did you wouldn't be able to sell it later on.
Certainly, that is a good point and ought not to be ignored. Still...

They are out there. I think the issue is whether selling it later is a big deal or not. It could be argued that a well priced non-slide for a first time purchase could work out well in the long run unless someone makes a huge mistake and has to dump it because they found it wasn't for them. Of course, there are many variables such as wither an older MH will take up a lot of $$$ fixing it up or not but I think there is still a reasonable case to be made supporting an economical purchase of a non-slide MH.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We have 4 slides on our 36' MH. It is like a small apartment with them open. We can dance easily, when we are in the mood. It makes a HUGH difference when they are open. The coach seems to be built strong and we have had no problems at all with them.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #33

Sorry, the link I posted to illustrate the difference between slides in and slides out was cut, I suppose because it was a FOR SALE ad. Since I think it's really worth a look to make the point, I'll go the extra step and just post the two pictures....hopefully they will stay.

Slides in (comparable to no slides)

Even with slides in this floor plan is pretty accessible. Though it may not look like it, you CAN get to the bathroom and bedroom in back very easily, and you can obviously watch TV while driving.

But LOOK how much more room you have with slides out!

So, yeah. Slides are pretty cool.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One other thought about slides in vs slides out accessibility. Let me start with a disclaimer...I've not "been there, done that" yet so this is from what I have been reading...

During inclement weather there may be times to bring in the slides. I've read that some folks bring in the slides during high winds and snowy conditions to protect toppers and in extremely hot/cold to reduce cooling/heat loss. Recently I saw one of my slides budge a bit during a 45 MPH gust.

Something to think about regarding floor plan designs and location of the things one might want with slides in.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
My currrent coach is my first slide coach. And it only has two slides (bedroom and galley/living area). I love the room and my wife already speaks of upgrading again in a few years. However, most coaches today have 4 slides and I am concerned about mobility issues when traveling. At least with only two slides, there is still plenty of room inside while going down the road.

What's the experience with those of you who have more than two slides (especially in the living area)?
We have 3 slides and really like our floorplan; 2 large slides at mid-coach open opposite of each other. Feels like an apartment inside with all that large open space in the middle and two can easily prepare meals without getting in each others way. The third smaller slide is in the bedroom. You cannot access bedroom drawers/walk around bed when that slide is in, but it's rarely an inconvenience for us while in 'traveling' mode. We put that slide out when resting at a parking lot overnight but we leave the other 2 in as there's easy access to everything we need. And my oh my...we soak in that sense of spaciousness every time we settle into a campground after both of the large slides are out again. Enough room to go dancing.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love hate relation....Love the extra room...hate the repair and maintenance issues. Had both hydraulic and mechanical and issues with both. When they break, they are not cheap to fix. Additionally, they are prone to leak.

I'd rather have a larger RV and forgo the slides.

Ken
Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
My vote goes to slides. Slides rule, those who don't have them can drule.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #38

Unless it's just the angle of view, it appears that you cannot access the bathroom with the slides in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Sorry, the link I posted to illustrate the difference between slides in and slides out was cut, I suppose because it was a FOR SALE ad. Since I think it's really worth a look to make the point, I'll go the extra step and just post the two pictures....hopefully they will stay.

Slides in (comparable to no slides)

Even with slides in this floor plan is pretty accessible. Though it may not look like it, you CAN get to the bathroom and bedroom in back very easily, and you can obviously watch TV while driving.

But LOOK how much more room you have with slides out!

So, yeah. Slides are pretty cool.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours has one 12' slide (kitchen & living room) and that is awesome. A huge difference from closed to open and it's not even all that deep of a slide. As far as the bedroom having none seems fine to us.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Unless it's just the angle of view, it appears that you cannot access the bathroom with the slides in.
That's why I wrote under the picture:

"Even with slides in this floor plan is pretty accessible. Though it may not look like it, you CAN get to the bathroom and bedroom in back very easily, and you can obviously watch TV while driving."

Must be the angle....
Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #41

I always thought I would prefer the tightness and less prone to leakage of the no slides, especially during thunderstorms and excessive winds that shake the slide awnings to death. And looked at MANY of them.

That being said, we were never able to find one that didn't feel uncomfortable, for us. Wound up with slides, several times.

GL Arnold
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #42

Slides are worth it. I just traded in my no slide Mirada and took a kicking on the value because of no slides. Resale wise.....slides....room ...slides. Hated not having slides. Happy now!

Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote