Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Heck, not sure why you guys have so much angst about it...

I found it easier to use the painted little ramps by the front doors to climb up on the sidewalk by the swing sets to let the kids play there !
and extending slides close to the front of the building gives them shade to play in !!!

course this is my latest yelling at the local paper:

"WHERE is my SUNDAY paper?!"

"Sir", said the newspaper employee, "today is Saturday. The Sunday paper is not delivered until tomorrow, on SUNDAY".
There was quite a long pause, followed by a ray of recognition as I muttered, ....
"Well, shucks (but spelled differently), that explains why no one was at church either.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #30

The WM here in town is being abused on a daily basis and I think it's only time before the parking lot will be taken away. The WM here is kinda of on the outskirts of town so I think RVs that use it think it's out of town so it won't matter, BUT It does......I live here.............!

I don't use WM/truckstop lots on a trip because if I can't afford a overnight RV park I should just stay home........I usually stop around 4 or 5pm anyway..........

Mike
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Without trying to hijack the thread too far...

For some I think the use of W/M, Flying J and my personal favorite Cracker Barrel facilities is when they are hammer down trying to get somewhere. Not always but it seems that way to me.

Now, there is also the group like myself. I don't have a lot of experience (OK...NONE) with finding CGs on the fly. I'm still a bit paranoid that I won't find one to meet my rig's size and Sandee's satisfaction. (I keep telling her it is an adventure and that has worked so far. LOL

Perhaps after we finally get unchained from the JOB and get confident in our abilities to find good CGs (knowing we will bump into not-so-good ones) that will change. Still, for overnight parking my wife LOVES Cracker Barrel.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #32

Carolina Campers
It is amazing how weird some of these threads get sometimes...... People that would never stay at a WM, will put down those that do, people that do stay at WM will make people that don't feel like they are missing out on one of the greatest adventures in RVing.... LOL

Oh well, they banned religion and politics on this sight, I guess the WM parking lot "fight" will just have to take top billing in their place...
Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #33

You know, usually the campground are no where near the interstates, at least when I'm stopping for the night. When I'm on a death-march somewhere, ain't nobody got time to drive 10 miles off the interstate looking for a campground when Wally World is right there.
2006 Jeep Commander
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Oh well, they banned religion and politics . . .
Walmart is both!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Heck, not sure why you guys have so much angst about it...

I found it easier to use the painted little ramps by the front doors to climb up on the sidewalk by the swing sets to let the kids play there !
and extending slides close to the front of the building gives them shade to play in !!!

course this is my latest yelling at the local paper:

"WHERE is my SUNDAY paper?!"

"Sir", said the newspaper employee, "today is Saturday. The Sunday paper is not delivered until tomorrow, on SUNDAY".
There was quite a long pause, followed by a ray of recognition as I muttered, ....
"Well, shucks (but spelled differently), that explains why no one was at church either.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, the WM that posted height restrictors back east, that's harsh. So trucks and RV's that want to go to WalMart just to buy stuff can't get in either?

Such an act of desperation on WM's behalf can only mean they experienced some incredibly uncontrollable behavior.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #37

We've had some quiet nights in Home Depot lots as well. Stayed in a rest area only once, same with truck stop, WAY too much noise. We'll put the slides out and jacks down.
We tend to do 500+ miles a day when traveling cross country, if time permits us to slow our pace, we find camping spots and stretch the toes, let the kids swim........
Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Wow, the WM that posted height restrictors back east, that's harsh. So trucks and RV's that want to go to WalMart just to buy stuff can't get in either?

Such an act of desperation on WM's behalf can only mean they experienced some incredibly uncontrollable behavior.
It could be to be in compliance with local ordinances. If that is the case I would think it is better PR to enforce the ordinance that way then to tow people. It is easy to blame government...done all the time.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #39

We have never stayed at Wal Mart but I am in the same boat as some of the posters on here. I cannot access my bedroom without putting out the front slide. I was considering staying overnight on our upcoming trip to Disney World but my wife was not comfortable with that idea. After going back and forth on the idea, I decided to give in and give up the fight. I found a nice state park along the way for $20 a night and now she is happy.
If you cant beat them, join them!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
We are never hammer down, but we are always heading to our favorite destinations to stay several months. I don't want to hunt for a CG enroute, go thru the checkin process, park, setup, deal with dogs and discover 10 screaming kids.

Pilots are right at the exit and we like pulling in and extending the slide, done. Always plenty of room for dogs, there is aways a store for supplies and a restaurant if needed. In the morning top off the tank on the way out, with a discount. Much less hassle and has worked perfect for us for 8 years.

I doubt anyone out there is RVing in a manner that does not suit them. Turning your nose up at someone doing it differently than you is rediculous.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I keep reading about how it supposedly is "rude" or "inconsiderate" to extend slides when parked in a rest area or a Walmart lot. ..........

We cannot use the bedroom in our coach unless we extend the bedroom slides.

I need enlightened...
I have the same issue. However I have 3 slides and need only extend one or two to use the RV for sleeping. The "Main" one I do not like to extend.

The issue is two fold. First.. You do not want to look too much like you are "There to stay" as opposed to "Overnighting" Now, I knwo (As do you) that slides are easily extended and retracted and do not indicate "parked for the week" type parking, but grills, patio mats, awnings, lawn chairs and tables .. That's another matter.

I also try to choose a parking spot so that the extended slide will NOT block a 2nd spot. (Or additional spot) This is very true in rest areas where extending a slide may well cause you to take up two truck slots.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

We have encountered a couple of those overhead barriers. However I just enter with the trucks in back, do our shopping, and exit the same way. The overhead bars only had height numbers, but no mention of overnighting restrictions.
Closed Thread