Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #1

Slides rubbing tile flooring

Maybe I am just picky but we have a 43' 2013 Holiday Rambler with the three slides, road side is a complete wall slide and the other ones are in the kitchen and bedroom area, that are rubbing the flooring and leaving a line like it is digging into the tiles in 2 spots. I brought it back in for the 3 time complaining about it and they tell me that it was sand scratching the flooring but we have never been anywhere where there was sand to track in. I cleaned it and most of it came up. This last time I brought it in it appeared to have a scratch in the tile that I couldn't wipe off. They looked at it and told me that there was nothing they could do to stop this that it was only just rubbing not digging the floor. I called Monaco and they told me that I would have to bring it in to one of their service centers to see if they could do correct it. When I picked it up from the dealer they showed me a bunch of trash that they got out from under the slides and I told them that there was no way we let that dirt and trash get under the slides and that we swept the coach and before completely bring them in we ran a dust mop under the carpet area when they lifted. I have talked to a RV mechanic that I know that use to work on my older coach and he was in disbelief and what they said that nothing could be done. But Monaco did tell me that I could go get an estimate from another dealer if they think it can be adjusted as to not rub the floor when the slides are in. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to correct it?
Harry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #2

We just purchased a used Newmar Kountry Star. The previous owner bought some thin plexiglas type plastic (hard) and cut it into squares. He places these in a position so that as the slide comes in the rollers go up over the plexiglas panel and the rollers then rest on them when the slide is in. There are no marks whatsoever on the carpet or the floor, not even the typical carpet indentation. Not sure if this will solve your problem but it seems to work well.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It sounds as though the slides are out of adjustment slightly. I would definitely NOT take the dealers word for what is causing this. They are just trying to absolve themselves of liability. My coach is 8 years old and I do NOT have any of these problems, and I have been in areas with lots of sand (we now live in Florida). If you can find a way to get to the manufacturer then do so. I can also recommend Alliance coach in Wildwood, Florida for service work. They are a Monaco, HR dealer as well. They do excellent work, including disassembly and reassembly of slides.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One thing to consider. On a previous MH we had a slight gap around the bottom of the slide that we found allowed dust and dirt to blow in around the slide gears. We had the same issue as you with the dirt, or sand as they claim, grinding the floor. My wife is a clean freak but there was no way to stop this. I went as far as taking the couch apart to access part of the slide and trying to seal up the openings. This only worked until the slide operated again and removed all my hours of work in a few seconds. I am not familiar with you unit but it is something to look very closely at. I found mine by the light my SIL was shining around the slide trying to find how cool air was getting in.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Alan Wilson
Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #5

The left front slide on our coach sits low also. The dealer, and also the factory service center said there is no adjustment for ours. We purchased some inexpensive vinyl type table place mats and insert them under the runner as we are retracting the slide. This prevents the runner from rubbing on, and grooving the carpet. We've done this for 7 years and the carpet still looks good.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
you would be amazed at the trash the factory leaves behind in their haste to get the unit out of the assembly line.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
you would be amazed at the trash the factory leaves behind in their haste to get the unit out of the assembly line.

Especially if it is an area they don't think you will be seeing anytime soon. Pieces of wire, water line, carpet, tile or vinyl pieces. All things a shop vacuum would remove in less then two minutes.

Alan Wilson
Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #8

Harry - Unfortunately there is no adjustment to resolve your problem... well there is however relieving the weight on the inside edge of the slide room will cause issues on the guides on the outside edge of the room, quick, fast and in a hurry.

Take a look at what type of rollers are underneath.

Carpeted units use a much harder roller on the bottom of the slide so that it doesn't cause the carpet to roll up as much.

Subsequently a much softer roller is used for slide rooms that have tile floors so that the roller edges won't dig into the tile or "push" debris across the floor as they roll in/out, they simply roll over most little specs of rocks - whereas a hard (carpet) roller would not roll over any little rocks and instead slide them across causing scraping.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #9

The rollers that are used on carpet don't matter if they are steel or balsa wood. It is the inability of the "installer" not knowing how to stretch carpet properly is what makes carpet roll in front of the rollers.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #10

We are on our second new floor, so this is not new to us. I replaced the carpet on the slide that the scratching was happening. I had a piece made about 12 inches wide and as long as that slide. Before we bring slide in we place the carpet near it and it goes over the carpet when it comes in. No more scratches, just roll it up and store. This is a vinyl planking floor, our 2nd, the first one got terrible scratches in it and I was determined not to let this happen again. Try it, it works and doesn't cost all that much.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Slide Slickers are made for this situation or a piece of Plexiglas works as well. We have to put these under our street living room slide and they work well.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #12

this goes to show that you can have solid surface floors and you don't have to have the slide removed or rollers changed.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #13

Had a friend over last night that's a certified RVIA tech and we looked at the slides. He showed me that these long slides are sagging in the center thus rubbing on the tile floor. He came up with the idea of using the carpet runner we use when parked under the slides to prevent the rubbing of the slide on the floor. We are leaving next week for a couple of days and will let you know if this works
Harry
Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #14

Harry- with all the experience I have had with slides- there are no flat/level slides. They either have a bow- upward or downwards. Some may have affront to back pitch, back to front pitch, etc.
No 2 coaches are alike.

Tags
slide