RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Slipped belts Goodyear Tires

2014 Palazzo 33.2. Purchased 10/18 and negotiated 6 new tires in deal. Iíve put 7500 miles on rig. Weighed (axels not 4 corner) and inflated tires to 100psi each, slightly above chart recommendation. Installed safe t steer. Steering wheel is slightly off center to rt from purchase which does not affect tracking.

On annual service asked dealer to check because of tire vibration. Dealer informed me that both front tires have slipped belts. Back tires have not been checked. Dealer says tire hazard warranty doesnít cover. He is contacting Goodyear but doesnít know if theyíll cover. He suggested rotating to back. I donít think thatís a good idea. From my reading a slipped belt is actually tire separation.

Iím not knowledgeable in this area, but Iíve certainly been rving long enough to experience a few blow outs and the damage they do. I think Iíd be riding on a time bomb. I also think I should not have to purchase new tires after 1 year and 7000 miles.

Looking for suggestions and what recourse I might have. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

If he's correct then I can't imagine Goodyear not covering that under warranty!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

I would advise having both tires with slipped belts to be replaced. Driving on damaged tires is just unnecessary risk. If you decide to keep the remaining tires which I assume are from the same batch, I would inspect the tires during/after each trip. Ask the dealer to show you how to inspect a tire for a slipped belt condition.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #4

That should absolutely be covered under warranty. contact goodyear directly. Most likely will ask for tread depth pic.
I had belt shift (yes this means separation) on 5k mile michelin a/s3+ on my car. covered.
Greg5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

They are now defective tires and should be replaced under warranty. Heck, maybe the dealer even knew they were defective? Do not let the dealer or Goodyear get away with not replacing them for free. BTW that the dealer even suggested putting the defective tires on the back tells me they may be shady...
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

Personally I have had bad luck with Goodyear's and out of round or lateral movement causing vibration. I tried to run them to put some wear on them and it just was not worth it so I would get rid of the two that are a issue if it was me. If you have proof of purchase and they are only a year old they should at least prorate the tires for you.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please keep us informed as to what Goodyear does for you.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Goodyear has a 6 year warranty. They do not broadcast it but it is covered. Don't let anyone double talk you. Contact Goodyear and don't get the runaround. You are covered.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
How did the dealer determine the tires have "slipped belts"? Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Goodyear has a 6 year warranty. They do not broadcast it but it is covered. Don't let anyone double talk you. Contact Goodyear and don't get the runaround. You are covered.

I did a search of the warranty and never found anything that said 6 years.

Could you provide a source?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:22 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I did a search of the warranty and never found anything that said 6 years.

Could you provide a source?
Agreed. I believe the warranty is 5 years prorated. It is on the RV tires, anyway.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:35 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickiv View Post
2014 Palazzo 33.2. Purchased 10/18 and negotiated 6 new tires in deal. Iíve put 7500 miles on rig. Weighed (axels not 4 corner) and inflated tires to 100psi each, slightly above chart recommendation. Installed safe t steer. Steering wheel is slightly off center to rt from purchase which does not affect tracking.

On annual service asked dealer to check because of tire vibration. Dealer informed me that both front tires have slipped belts. Back tires have not been checked. Dealer says tire hazard warranty doesnít cover. He is contacting Goodyear but doesnít know if theyíll cover. He suggested rotating to back. I donít think thatís a good idea. From my reading a slipped belt is actually tire separation.

Iím not knowledgeable in this area, but Iíve certainly been rving long enough to experience a few blow outs and the damage they do. I think Iíd be riding on a time bomb. I also think I should not have to purchase new tires after 1 year and 7000 miles.

Here's an article on slipped belts on TT tires. Same issue. Anyway, for what it's worth... https://www.rvtravel.com/st-tire-belt-separation-autopsy/
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickiv View Post
2014 Palazzo 33.2. Purchased 10/18 and negotiated 6 new tires in deal. I’ve put 7500 miles on rig. Weighed (axels not 4 corner) and inflated tires to 100psi each, slightly above chart recommendation. Installed safe t steer. Steering wheel is slightly off center to rt from purchase which does not affect tracking.

On annual service asked dealer to check because of tire vibration. Dealer informed me that both front tires have slipped belts. Back tires have not been checked. Dealer says tire hazard warranty doesn’t cover. He is contacting Goodyear but doesn’t know if they’ll cover. He suggested rotating to back. I don’t think that’s a good idea. From my reading a slipped belt is actually tire separation.

I’m not knowledgeable in this area, but I’ve certainly been rving long enough to experience a few blow outs and the damage they do. I think I’d be riding on a time bomb. I also think I should not have to purchase new tires after 1 year and 7000 miles.

By dealer, do you mean your RV dealer or a Goodyear store? If it's not too far away I'd take the RV directly to a Goodyear store and get their opinion.
It's unusual for two tires to go bad at roughly the same time. I'd be concerned about the rears also. If all 6 tires were installed at the same time they are probably out of the same batch.
Regardless of whether the tires will be covered under warranty or not I would be getting them off the RV ASAP. Rotating the tires is a poor recommendation. No way is a tire safe in any position on a vehicle if a belt is broken. It is going to fail.
Your assessment that you are sitting on a 'time bomb' is quite accurate. Please don't drive this RV any more than absolutely necessary to get it repaired.
Lynn

Note: There is a forum member on here, "Tireman9". If he doesn't respond to this thread shortly you chould contact him via PM for advice.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:03 AM   #14

You said dealer-- I'm guessing that is an RV dealer. Since you are in LoL, I suggest going to the Goodyear Truck tire dealership on 301 just north of Brandon. It was about 20 years ago when I had problems with tires on a motorhome and went there and they were good and knew what they were doing as they are a truck tire shop, not automotive.
Here's a link to they location https://www.goodyearctsc.com/locatio...62046&miles=15

Tags
tires