Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

slobber tubes

when or what year did slobber tubes stop being an issue? What was the issue, my understanding is that it made the radiators dirty and hurt the cooling? What is the fix if I buy an rv with a slobber tube? appreciate it

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think slober tubes ended about the time DEF had to be added to the mix. The green solution was to send the slober back to the crankcase for a closed system and no slober into the air. If you have a slober tube you can fabricate a catch canister and mount it on the end of the tube. Just remember the tube MUST be able to breath so don't mount it with tube at the bottom of the canister.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

You can also just extend the slobber tube further toward the rear of the motorhome so that the fumes do not get pulled up into the radiator. Use same size or larger hose, and be sure it always runs downhill. That's the way mine is done.

Fred
Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #4

This "slobber tube" is a crankcase ventilation system that exhausts any pressure in the crankcase to the open air. Newer systems are called a positive crankcase ventilation system, meaning they route this pressure to the engine intake system and burn this "blowby". This should not be an issue on a low mileage MH, so if you see oil in the fins of a rear radiator, I would investigate further and find the cause of the blowby.
The cheap and workable solution to slobber tube blowby creating an oily mess on the rear radiator sandwich is to connect something like an empty water bottle to the bottom of the slobber tube/crankcase ventilation tube, but leave room for vapors to get out of the water bottle but still trapping oil that gets blown out.
I have seen a few guys connect a plastic tube to the slobber tube and run it to one side of the MH instead of fooling with the water bottle.
Of course if you buy a MH with a side radiator this is not an issue. Mine has a slobber tube and a side radiatior, so if it begins to have oil in the blowby, my wife's car will show oil the front.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #5

We had a 2005 Diesel Bounder with a Cat C-7 that had slobber problems. Cat made a unit that took the slobber output and ran it through a small filter and returned the oil to the crankcase. I installed it and it ran fine for 70,000 miles. Our 2008 Allegro Bus had a Cummins and the positive crankcase vent, and it worked well too.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Cat made a unit that took the slobber output and ran it through a small filter and returned the oil to the crankcase.
Cummins also offers the same thing. ISC Open Crankcase Ventilation Kit CV50116
Old 02-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

The issue was that some chassis/engine manufacturers left the end of the slobber tube in front of the rear radiator surface. The easy fix was to either extend the slobber tube with an extension hose redirecting the oily mist away from the radiator; or add some type of oil catching enclosure. As long as you were made aware of the issue before gumming up the radiator surface, the DIY fix was 1 hour & less than $25 materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
when or what year did slobber tubes stop being an issue? What was the issue, my understanding is that it made the radiators dirty and hurt the cooling? What is the fix if I buy an rv with a slobber tube? appreciate it
Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

^^^That's the take away here.^^^

It's not that big a deal, especially if you do your own maintenance. Just be aware of the potential for the issue. If you happen to run across one that's not been done, make sure you have a good look at the front (engine) side of the CAC/radiator. If the normally thin fins look a little thicker than they should, plan on spending an afternoon cleaning up a gooey mess.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #9

I think the slobber tubes went away with engines conforming to 2007 emissions requirements.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #10

Well gang,
Unless I missed it in reading all the responses, while blow-by is a part of the engine operation, there's a primary cause of EXCESSIVE blow-by oil mist on the CAT engines. And that cause is, INCORRECT amount of oil installed when either initially installing the oil in the first place or, replacing it when the oil is changed.

You see, we'll take a CAT C-7 for example. On about 99.999999% of the CAT C-7, 300/330/350 HP engines, the oil pan is designed and setup for a grand total of 19 quarts of oil, PERIOD!! There are many write-ups on this issue. CAT, and or Freightliner improperly setup or, just didn't setup the correct markings on the dip stick for these engines. And, it was left to the owners to change the oil, install 19 quarts and, mark the dip stick as such.

When the correct amount of oil is installed, you will have almost ZERO OIL MIST exiting from that slobber tube. And, it also helps to extend it. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #11

Yes, there's the potential for the wrong dip stick to have been installed when new. Properly marking yours at an oil change a good plan.

But, without minimizing the potential for an over filled oil pan, to believe a 3126 with 19qts. in the pan isn't going to have some mist coming out of the slobber tube, especially while making full power, would be a mistake. It's not like there's a river of oil coming out of it, but with no extension in place, there's PLENTY enough to coat a CAC/rad over a period of time.

Correct dip stick length still a good point though. If you end up with a Cat, checking the markings at oil change time would be a good plan.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Yes, there's the potential for the wrong dip stick to have been installed when new. Properly marking yours at an oil change a good plan.

But, without minimizing the potential for an over filled oil pan, to believe a 3126 with 19qts. in the pan isn't going to have some mist coming out of the slobber tube, especially while making full power, would be a mistake. It's not like there's a river of oil coming out of it, but with no extension in place, there's PLENTY enough to coat a CAC/rad over a period of time.

Correct dip stick length still a good point though. If you end up with a Cat, checking the markings at oil change time would be a good plan.
I agree 100%. If the vent is open there will be blowby through valve stems and normal engine operation with parts bathed in oil. Placement of the vent (slobber) tube and airflow through the rear radiator picks up this oil laden air and runs it through the radiator CAC stack depositing the oil on the fins. Radiator cleaning is a constant requirement unless the slobber tube is extended and the oil/air separator is installed.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote