RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Slow diesel fill at truck stops

When I pull into a truckstop to get fuel, I have to barely squeeze the nozzle or I'll get fuel blowing back at me. For me, it is a slow process filling with the high speed pumps.
When I go through a regular fuel island, the nozzle and pumps work great.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV

wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Look to see if the hose between the fill and tank is bent. Some owners have had to shorten the hose to eliminate the pinched hose which will allow fuel to flow better than before.

mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #3

Vent plugged maybe. If you have a fill on both sides. open the other one. That should tell you if its the vent
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #4

It's always hard to use the big nozzle at truck stops almost all over the roar semi fill through a 4" opening directly into the tank and the big pumps are set to flow with this no restrictions all most all rv's fill through a 2-2 1/2 inch pipe to the tank with bends and a smaller vent some of the systems are better than others but you can't just dump the fuel in like a semi. Use the small pump when you can.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Hello wmiii,

Some truck stops have larger nozzles on the diesel pumps for large semis for the purpose to flow the fuel faster. Your diesel intake on your RV tank must have smaller intake. This could possibly be the reason why the handle keeps shutting off is the handle is designed to react to the fuel to flow back when the tank is full and the pump shuts off. Make note to find a pump handle nozzle that is smaller and it should flow better. I hope this helps your problem.
Freebird1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #6

Well,
At the risk of sounding a bit sarcastic, DON'T use those pumps! If you find you have no issues with ANY other fueling station, then why put up with it? Obviously there's nothing wrong with your rig, its ability to accept fuel, from any other fuel nozzle, gives you no problems at all, correct? We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, we've owned for almost 8 years.

In that amount of time, and the 45,000 miles we've put on the coach, we've fueled at a truck stop, ONE TIME! There's lots of reasons I won't go back to one but, those nozzles are at the top of the list.

Now, I'll get flack here on that last statement but, that's fine. Everybody's gonna get fuel where they like and or works. I just don't care for truck stops. Our tank will take fuel at a somewhat normal rate, with a normal nozzle. But, when it get's close to full, as in I've still got 15 gallons to go before it's full, it gives me this: Click-stop, click-stop, click-stop, click-stop. It takes longer to put that last 15 gallons in it, than it did to put the first 40-50 in it.

And those nozzles make it worse. So, I myself, don't use truck stops. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
GasBuddy can save you 30-50 cents and the pumps are not high volume...problem solved.
Ivylog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have a small stone we use to keep the nozzle on, works great
Old 04-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If I have a lot of problem with blowback, I open the fuel filler on the opposite side for better venting. Keep an close eye on it, though, cause you can overflow fuel out the other side. Or forget to put the cap back on and drive away. You can guess how I know this...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

I have had this issue from day one no matter which side i fill up on. Unfortunately Iím at a length towing my F-150 that i donít usually have an option but to use the big boy pumps.

The strategy i have adopted is to never top off. If Iím sitting at half a tank Iíll put 40 gallons in. If Iím at a 1/4 tank Iíll put 65 gallons in.

A bit of an inconvenience not being able to get the extra 80 miles of range from the final 10 gallons but itís worth not getting diesel all over my paint from over flow.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Seems like this thread question pops up now and then....my 99 American Coach has no issue with large truck stop nozzles....by time I've got windshield clean and walk around tow car, it's full.....

I think it's all a matter of tank vs filler connection placement & your results may vary.
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #12

Thanks for the feedback.
I guess it is what it is and I'll just have to deal with it.
I only have one fill and do try to look for Flying J's that have the RV Island. I've also used regular gas convenience store stops where we can get in and out with the toad. (It is easy without).
I do like the idea of filling 50 gal at 1/2 tank though.

Thanks again,
Wm
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I do like the idea of filling 50 gal at 1/2 tank though.
It's still slow going, though.

On my last coach the filler tube was only about 2" and almost level, going into the top edge of the fuel tank. The reason for that was the floor of the coach body - the filler opening could not be placed any higher. A smaller fuel tank capacity would have allowed the tube to enter the tank at a lower point and improve the slope of the tube, but the 150 gallon capacity was and remains a selling point. The filler vent, though, was inadequate size and positioned so that the first frothing of the diesel fuel plugged the vent, guaranteeing instant splash-back. However, a secondary location for a larger vent is a design nuisance for coach body builders, so the chassis builders don't provide one.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #14

I've had the same problem, but generally only at the start. I get a blow back of fuel, I wait for that to clear, then it comes out normally.

Because I'm not all that bright at times, I'm going to try to pop just a bit in, let that settle, and then start trying to increase the filling rate. I don't have dual-side fill ups, so maybe it is just a simple plugged vent somewhere (I'll try to check this weekend, if I remember) or maybe there's something with pressure build up that needs to be cleared.

ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel