Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #15

DR-- Thanks for the heads up with the four-ways. I didn't talk about down hill because I'm very slow going down grades don't care who is behind me. If that sign says it is a 15mph turn guess who is turnung at 12. DW is having a hard time feeling like she is left hanging over the edge as it is from her seat, at no time do I let her feel like we are out of control. I've never had any trouble with over heating to date.-Still limited trips-- If anything the temp doesn't get hot enough to keep the cab warm. maybe 165 deg. for a 200 mile trip very cool in the cab w/42 deg outside temp. Blanket for DW. Thanks again for everyones help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Daffy Duck,
I have the same engine as you, ISC 330 HP and 950 ft lbs of torque. The coach and toad weigh in at 37K lbs. Do the math and determine if you are over the 1 hp per 100 lbs of weight. As you can see I am over that. I also need to climb a very steep hill from a stop and a right turn when leaving the stop. My hill is around a 20% grade. The climb is about 1/2 mile. I manually start in first gear and then manually upshift to second gear. This is all based on RPM. I'm in a resort so I'm not looking to go more than 20 MPH. My coach does this routine fine.

If you have a similar routine and are worse than my coach, consider taking the coach to get checked out.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy Duck View Post
Still limited trips-- If anything the temp doesn't get hot enough to keep the cab warm. maybe 165 deg. for a 200 mile trip very cool in the cab w/42 deg outside temp. Blanket for DW. Thanks again for everyones help.
Turn on the furnace!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Daffy Duck,
I have the same engine as you, ISC 330 HP and 950 ft lbs of torque. The coach and toad weigh in at 37K lbs. Do the math and determine if you are over the 1 hp per 100 lbs of weight. As you can see I am over that. I also need to climb a very steep hill from a stop and a right turn when leaving the stop. My hill is around a 20% grade. The climb is about 1/2 mile. I manually start in first gear and then manually upshift to second gear. This is all based on RPM. I'm in a resort so I'm not looking to go more than 20 MPH. My coach does this routine fine.

If you have a similar routine and are worse than my coach, consider taking the coach to get checked out.
Without the toad we're about 74 lb's per HP, with the toad we're about 85 lb's per HP. Do I slow down on grades? Well, that depends on whether I can get a run at it or not. If I have to let off the throttle due to traffic it's hard to gain my momentum back.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
so anyone have any thoughts on how a 2006 36 ft Damon Astoria w/5.9 ISB 300hp might do
Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
what is DW? I assume something do do with the wife? Dish washer?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173dave View Post
Same thing no?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

You guys are real brave hiding behind those fictious names. Obviously you are not married or your DWs don't come up on this forum. Just wait because they will find out. They always do
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Daffy.....I think you got your answer. Next trip, start taking notice of your rpm as you drive. You should be able to see at what rpm the coach cruises well and seems to have the most power. This will be pretty close to the rpm you want to seek when you're manually shifting either up or down on a grade.

Finally, your Allison transmission will NOT allow you to do anything stupid, like shift down and over rev the engine. Start out in first on your grade and start upshifting to a gear, probably third or fourth, that will give you your best hill climbing power. Once you're near or at the top of the grade, just push the "D" drive button on the shifter and the transmission will shift into the appropriate gear after that. No need to upshift to 6th.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 350 ISC and was having trouble climbing steep grades, I had changed fuel filter not to long ago, changed it again and problem solved. We can stop on grades and start going again with no problem. MH is 32,000 lbs plus cargo and 4 people. I don't think there's much difference between your 330 and my 350. Air filter and Fuel filter see what happens. Just my $.02.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Well, when RVing I do the dishes. Wife says RV is my thing and not hers so I try to do all the work. That's one reason for trading out of the bumper pull trailer. Hook up, setting, etc. was a killer.
Now the Class C has no leveling system so I have to use jacks/blocks or what ever for that. Now I want the Class A with levelers and all the good stuff. I am sure I will be fine and have some fun.

Merry Christmas!! (if that's allowed here)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #26
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 173dave View Post
Dave I think it means Dang Wife.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D M View Post
Dave I think it means Dang Wife.
LOL,,, I just asked my wife what DW means,,,, she said "Dear Wife" ....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
My DW is mad at me right now so I guess the first guess came naturally. After we get out next motor home, 2006 Damon Astoria Pacific, I hope she can stop being mad at me and enjoy the MH. It will be our 4th in about 4 years though. I want it to be my last too.

Merry Christmas to all the DW's that are on here!