Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #1

Slow running kitchen sink drain

Not fully clogged so Draino or Liquid Plumber would probably not have enough contact time. We have a double sink so the below sink plumbing has a horizontal plastic pipe connecting the two drains. It is about a foot long. Hard to snake a zip it or other type snake through. Also, not sure exactly where the blockage is. DW thinks it may be calcification from hard water. What do you all use for this? Thanks.

sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my Providence the cross over is so flat that grease and residue build up and slow it down. I clean mine with baking soda and vinegar. Then give it a good wash out with boiling water. Usually a couple of times a season.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

We haven't ever had slow drainage but i know that if i did, the first thing i'd do is pull the "p" trap. In most cases, this is very easy to do. Even if the clog isn't at the trap, you'll get an indication if there is some kind of build up. If everything looks good at this point, then the clog is lower and you can go ahead and run a zip or run a snake on down while you got it apart.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
We haven't ever had slow drainage but i know that if i did, the first thing i'd do is pull the "p" trap. In most cases, this is very easy to do. Even if the clog isn't at the trap, you'll get an indication if there is some kind of build up. If everything looks good at this point, then the clog is lower and you can go ahead and run a zip or run a snake on down while you got it apart.

X2

Remove the horizontal run from both sinks and the 'P' Trap

Take outside and CLEAN it out

Re-install........hand tighten and just 'snug' up fittings
Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
On my Providence the cross over is so flat that grease and residue build up and slow it down. I clean mine with baking soda and vinegar. Then give it a good wash out with boiling water. Usually a couple of times a season.
We have never put a dirty or greasy anything in our sink. My wife wouldn't hear of it. She rinses everything off well outside in a plastic dishpan before it goes into the sink.
Lynn
Old 05-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Not fully clogged so Draino or Liquid Plumber would probably not have enough contact time. We have a double sink so the below sink plumbing has a horizontal plastic pipe connecting the two drains. It is about a foot long. Hard to snake a zip it or other type snake through. Also, not sure exactly where the blockage is. DW thinks it may be calcification from hard water. What do you all use for this? Thanks.
I should would not use Draino or equiv. in the pipes. Bad for the waste valve O rings and everything else.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X3 on old biscuit. I've had this problem. In my sink it's the crossover drain that clogs with grease and fat from dish washing. Main drain still runs ok but the small scut sink gets very slow. Only real solution is disassembly and cleaning. Messy but necessary about once annually.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Thanks Stuhly. Before I take anything apart I want to try your way. How much baking soda and vinegar do you put in? Do you put them in one or both drains? Thanks.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Both and be very liberal with it. Then a big pan of boiling water for rinse. Seems like the problem is the cross over lays too flat. I don't have enough room to change that.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #10

Remove the siphon valve....

....not sure that is exactly what you call it......but there is a cap passed your pee trap that goes makes a T where the water goes down three is a cap on top....take that cap off it just unscrews and see if your water flows any faster.....the cap is suppose to keep smells from coming up through the sink drain...the bathroom sink has one as well.....sometimes the suction is enough to slow draining.

WDK