Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

Small A or C

I've been looking to buy an RV for the last year and think we've finally decided on a Sprinter chassis unit. We're looking to buy used 2008/2009/2010 and have narrowed our search down to two model. Navion/View 24H vs. Via/Reyo 25R.

We wanted a smaller unit because we didn't want to have to pull a toad, but something that will fit our family of 4. Since we don't stay at any one location for more than a day or two we decided a unit at/under 25 feet would work best.

We like the Sprinter chassis but now deciding between the two units I mentioned. On average the Via/Reyo will be $7k-8k more but we don't mind spending a little more to get a better unit.

Wanted to get your opinions on the two units.

Thanks
agc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #2

We tried the no towed route with a 22 ft C. It sort of works. It really does not work as well as having a towed. No matter how one slices it anything big enough to sleep 4 with an inside kitchen and bathroom does not fit in a normal parking spot. That does impose some vary annoying limits.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would suppose that another disadvantage is being fully hooked up and having to unhook just to go anywhere, and then having to hook up again. This is not a problem if you are just using it to travel from place to place. I'd rather have the toad. JMHO
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No toad here

We have a 26Ft Class A Little small for 4 although can be done. We went with this size so we would not need a toad. It works with our style of travel. I can unhook in 15 minutes and we are on our way. If I a only staying over night I level with auto level and plug it in. I don't bother with the rest unless I need to dump Tanks. When I am going to a lake in the state for fishing I will pull the boat. Everything else is done with the MH.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

In 2006, my wife and I bought a 2006 WGO View 23J (Class C) on a Sprinter chassis and, after 8 years, finally traded it for a 2010 WGO Vista 30W (Class A.)

In our opinion, the determining factor is how you use it. From 06 to 15, we were what we called "travelers." We rarely stayed anywhere for more than 1-3 days. For that style of RVing, the View w/o a towed worked fine.

Since retirement in 2012, we've spent more time (1-3 weeks) in each location. For that style, not having a toad is a hassle.

I never drove the Via/Reyo so I can't comment but the View is a wonderful RV... for two people. If I had kids, I would have boarded them at the kennel than fitting everyone into a 24ft motorhome.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do decide to tow, the 09 View has a higher tow rating than the 08 View.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's not just the hookups that become a pain, it's also everything that needs to be packed away so you can go somewhere. A toad is much better, you can stay hooked up, keep your chairs set up under the awning, and leave anything you have set up inside the RV alone and just get into the toad and go. We like to throw something in the slow cooker, take off for a day of exploring, and come back to a delicious meal that's ready to be served. We'd never go RVing without a toad.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
It's not just the hookups that become a pain, it's also everything that needs to be packed away so you can go somewhere. A toad is much better, you can stay hooked up, keep your chairs set up under the awning, and leave anything you have set up inside the RV alone and just get into the toad and go. We like to throw something in the slow cooker, take off for a day of exploring, and come back to a delicious meal that's ready to be served. We'd never go RVing without a toad.
We are a little more OCD then most. We put everything away when we are done using it at the end of the day. That includes the two folding chairs. We travel light and don't have a lot of junk to pull out of their respective places.

When I am fishing she sets up the sewing machine and quilts. If we have plans to go someplace that day we don't have anything to put away, it is already put away. The camper is always clean inside, besides as small as it is having things out gets in the way. If we need anything it is with us as we visit or sight see. Our longest trip is in the summer months when she is out of school. WE found that renting a car 'if needed' was less expensive then a toad for us. I just find with our life style a toad more of a pain then not having one.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #9

We've had a 30' and a 33' over the last 20 years and never towed a vehicle. Sure, there were times we wished we had a car, Yellowstone comes to mind, but you make do. We're going back to Yellowstone this year or next, and will just rent a car. Just not out and about enuff to justify the cost of another car. But that's us, and we're comfortable with our decision. Everyone's different.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #10

Looked real hard at the View and Via thinking I might be able to get away with one of them and two kids and still get good mileage, loved the idea. However after looking at the shows for a couple years and listening to suggestions from people with kids saying get bunks we went with the small Vista 31be bunk model and it's great. I traded my full size truck in for a Jeep toad and that works great too.

The Via or View were more than the Vista and smaller, although they had really nice systems and diesel. In the end I don't think I am into my Vista with Jeep toad for much more than just a Via/View but I have a larger yet still manageable Class A with bunks which is just awesome with the kids, perfect family floorplan. Also more storage, tanks, fuel, carrying capacity and leveling jacks is a big deal too for me.

Just something to think about.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #11

We've been at this RV thing for over 50 years. Had one of most ever kind of RV. Hardcore motorhome folks, though, the last 30 or so years. I'd sure recommend a Class A over a Class C--foot for foot so much more usable space. Not to mention the better visibility (you can see out better) both on and especially off the road. I've driven several of the Sprinter based RVs; I was quite interested in them for a while: MPG, maneuverability, etc. I found them to drive and ride OK, but the MPG was not what I thought it should be and, to me, they are rather significantly under-powered. That wee diesel's passing ability may make you think you're a real risk taker, and I sure suggest a test drive pulling your boat before you write the check. I think their tow rating is based on their ability to stop rather than go. We also of the ilk that find a toad to be indispensable.
After reading what I've just written I find I'm rather negative. Not my intent at all--just trying to be honest and forthright. But we did buy a Class C once and kept it almost 3 months. We've kept our class A's, we're on #4, almost 10 years each. I may be somewhat jaded. Each to his own, may also apply. Maybe were I 50 year's younger? The real key is that you enjoy yourself!