Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #1

In our stick home we use a vacuum food sealer.
We are trying to decide if we should put this small appliance in the motorhome or sell it now.

Do any of you use this item enough to make it worthwile?

Thanks,

George

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #2

In our stick home we use a vacuum food sealer.
We are trying to decide if we should put this small appliance in the motorhome or sell it now.

Do any of you use this item enough to make it worthwile?

Thanks,

George

Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi George

We have the 8" sealer in our fulltime coach and wouldn't be without it. It allows us to take advantage of bulk at Costco or Sams and then seal in meal size packages and freeze.

Very worthwhile.

Dave O
Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #4

Thanks, Dave. It is a really neat applicance. Makes sense to keep it. And we can freeze smaller portions of a meal that turns out real well and enjoy it days or weeks later instead of having to eat it the next day or two.

George
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
George:

We use one at home. When we are able to spend more time on the road in the coach, I will certainly take it with us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Where are you going to put the packages after you seal them???

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Where are you going to put the packages after you seal them??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, lots of stuff will fit in a 12CF refrig.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
Tom, lots of stuff will fit in a 12CF refrig.
Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Norcold 1200. After I put the beer in not much space remaining for seal a meal stuff.

But, the wife has been talking about getting one of the sealers for whole pork loins and whole fillets. She keeps me well feed. Anyone that knows me can attest to that !

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've used the big model in our home for a few years now. This past x-mas we saw a good after the holiday sale at Kohls for the small 8" mini model with the canister tube attachment for $25.00! We use it a lot on the road, not only for freezing but also for keeping fresh stuff fresh.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #10

I have the jar lid attachments to seal the regular size and widemouth canning jars. I store baking stuff in them. The vac sealers allow you to store more stuff in the freezer and the pantry. Currently using a Black & Decker (I don't like it and I really don't like B&D vac bags). It WILL be replaced with a FoodSaver model (one with the accessory port and can seal fresh baked bread without crushing).
Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #11
paz

We used our vacuum sealer quite extensively when we lived in a stick house, so we brought it along when we went full-time. We have only used it a few times in almost a year. As full-timers, we are always conscious of space and, more importantly, weight. Therefore, we find we can rarely justify buying anything in large sizes and consequently rarely need to vacuum seal. Even though we have a 12 cu. ft. fridge, we can't afford to keep leftovers around long to need vacuum sealing either.

Also, back at our stick house, we kept the sealer out on the counter which made it much more convenient to use. In the motor home, we can't afford the counter space and have to keep the sealer in a drawer. It's such a pain to get out, plug in, find the bags, etc. that we usually don't bother.

FWIW, when we do use the sealer, we use the jar lid attachment more than anything else.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We carry ours, a full size model, but my wife is inclined to use it at the drop of a hat, not just to store leftovers or pre-cooked meals. If we buy a package of four steaks or chops, she will immediately repackage it into two sets of two. So I think that usage will depend a lot on your housekeeping habits.

Currently we are eating out a lot and not using stuff from the freezer, but we know that what is in there will keep well because it is vacuum sealer rather than in supermarket packaging. On the other hand, we haven't had a need to seal anything new in awhile either, so from that perspective the sealer is just wasting space.

If there is a fisherman or hunter in your rig, you will find the sealer handy for saving the catch.

The sealer and a roll of bag material doesn't take much space - it's one of those things that seems to tuck away easily. We don't bring all the sealing jars and such that we have at home, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I have a Norcold 1200. After I put the beer in not much space remaining for seal a meal stuff.

But, the wife has been talking about getting one of the sealers for whole pork loins and whole fillets. She keeps me well feed. Anyone that knows me can attest to that !

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man has to keep his priorities in order. Tom, obviously you have followed this rule.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote