Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had a 5th wheel. Just could not park it in tight camp grounds. Actually broke the F250 rear window parking in a tight spot. Traded on a 2011 Thor Serrano which gets 10-12 mpg at 60 mph towing a CRv. Would never go back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #16

We "compromised" to an Expedition 36M. Among the smallest if the DP's, it gets 8.5 - 11 MPG (dependent on side winds) . We still have a prayer if getting in to many campsites, actually drives very well (even without the tag) and we actually like the floor plan better than almost all the larger units (ok ... We have looked. :-). ). Not sure if this is enough compromise for your wife ... But still quite a bit less than the larger DP's.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Consider renting for a few outings and see what you like. Personally we started out with a pup tent then popup tent trailer back to bigger tent and then made the big jump to a diesel pusher. Wife says no more sleeping in tents.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #18

We have a 40' coach... And average 10.3 mpg (hand caluclated over 5k miles), pulling a Chevy Cruze toad.

2013 Coachmen SportsCoach Cross Country.

Lots of ammenities of the high end coaches without the high price.

Tile floors
Outdoor entertaiment center
Power awning
8kw generator
Full body paint
Dual pane windows
Corian counters
Full width slide out storage tray
King size Sleep number master bed

Lots more. This coach has everything my family needs, gets decent fuel economy and pulls my toad without issue.
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #19

Our 42' dynasty with ISL 400 and towing a honda crv gets just about the same fuel mileage as my F450 diesel truck towing our 35' HR fifth wheel. Speed about 62-65 mph. Dynasty gives a much better ride and much easier to stop at a rest stop and eat or overnight for a few hours. Our 5th wheel is now parked permanently and our dynasty is on the market for other reasons. Our choice would be the 42' with the ISL 400 over most all other options.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #20

Thank you!

Thanks all for your input and advice!

I talked RVs with my wife tonight, and I've talked her out of the pop-up (she wants a real toilet and shower), and she's now open to the Winnebago Via. We're gonna try renting a 22-25' Class C and see how my wife feels about its spaciousness as a "preview" of the Via. I'm hoping she'll decide it's too cramped and open us up to a diesel pusher.

@GLArnold, I looked heavily at the Via, been inside them a few years ago (25T, 25R), but it felt cramped. I feel claustrophobia when RV beds are up against a corner, so the 25Q floorplan is better, but still so small. The 16-17 MPG sounds great, and my wife does sound like it's the only Class A she's not immediately fighting me on. I heard MPG goes down to 14 MPG with a toad.

@Lofton, 10 MPG is awesome for a 42' tag axle DP! What RPM are you referring to, and what speed is that at the top gear? Is that with a toad, and if so, what? Ours will be a 2600 lb Fiat 500. Very promising indeed! I know Corvettes with their 5.7L V8s are capable of 29 MPG with low RPMs and cylinder deactivation.

@Avid_DK, I've looked at the Leisure Travel online, not in person, but since I find the Via cramped, a Class B won't work for me. I'm not a big fan of Super Cs, a lot of wasted length in the nose.

@Clayobx, thanks for the advice. I did what you did on paper; started with a tent, heard about pop-ups from a friend, and once I started researching pop-ups, moved up to researching TTs, then 5ers, then Class A DPs. My wife hasn't made that journey with me yet.

@GA Navigator, hahaha! I'll run your idea by her and see what she says about staying in a pop-up behind my 45 footer!

@Stealth01, my first choice would be an Essex for sure (also considering Entegra Anthem but I like Newmar's Comfort Drive and customizability), but only if I can talk the wife into it. No issues with maneuverability or getting stuck on narrow twisty roads? That's a concern for me along with the Class B License.

@Selah, yes, my wife and I are pretty far apart; I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I'm willing to spend up to $500K; my wife would like to stay under $100K. So I'm trying to find a happy medium! I have discussed the relatively minor impact of fuel economy on our overall decision with her, and she sees that, but she's still looking at the up front cost; she doesn't want to be wasteful.

@Road Dogs, I did look at 5ers quite a bit before getting obsessed about Class A diesel pushers. My wife is also more receptive to a 5er than to a large diesel Class A, but I'm leery of learning how to drive/back up with a trailer (I already back up horribly with a passenger car), plus I like the ability to use the RV while under way.

@Butte64, money is always an object to some degree; I looked at Palazzos too, again, my concern being not enough MPG advantage for the space lost, but that might be one of the Class As my wife might agree to before a 40-45 footer.

@GreaTOne65, listening to the wife is great advice, of course. I would never do it without her consent; I've made that mistake only once; she made me pay! Ironic hearing "humble" opinions from someone whose handle is "GreaTOne". Luckily, I've already talked her out of the pop-up, so now I'm trying to talk her out of a 25 footer by spending a few days in one; I hope the rental has a tiny shower (she's petite, but likes a roomy shower)!

@Denniscw, thank you! That's exactly my concern about 5ers; maneuvering, especially backing up with one. The Serrano is another one I've looked at, but isn't that discontinued for now?

@MN_Traveler, 34-38 footers seem a good medium size, but at 40 feet (at least with Newmar), we get a tag! Still, if she says 34-38 is good, I'll be happy with that.

@Maladjusted, 10.3 MPG is awesome for a 40' pusher with toad!

@Barlow46, thanks for posting your experience!
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
I'm wondering if a 40' tag axle DP is the sweet spot for power, ride quality, spaciousness?

Any sage advice would be welcome! Please be gentle with me... I'm just learning and trying to narrow down my options. Thanks in advance!

David
What great fun, being able to spend someone else's money As you can see, this is one of our favorite topics!

I too started with a 40' Excursion, but wife pushed us into a 45' Patriot Thunder that she researched and purchased.

I rub elbows with all manners of RV'ers, think that the sweet spot here for value lies in the non-tag, 40' five-year-old diesel pusher realm.

Think about it: for a few more pennies than a squished Class B, you can roll around the living room floor, cook together in the kitchen, shower and shave (you do one, spouse does other) at the same time in a larger coach.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
David,

To satisfy your need for more room Palazzo now has a 36.1 model that is longer.
You could also check out the Winnebago/Itasca ne smaller DPs such as the Forza.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Making an informed decision about what works best for you is going to require some experience. Sounds like you are going to try it on for size, which is what you need to do, so enjoy the search. You can find the room you want at far less than $100k. If you want cherry cabinets, tile floors and recent manufacture you are going to spend more.

FWIW a 40' MH drives different than a car, too. First rule, never pull into a place you can't back out of.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #24

[ENVY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
What great fun, being able to spend someone else's money As you can see, this is one of our favorite topics!

I too started with a 40' Excursion, but wife pushed us into a 45' Patriot Thunder that she researched and purchased.

I rub elbows with all manners of RV'ers, think that the sweet spot here for value lies in the non-tag, 40' five-year-old diesel pusher realm.

Think about it: for a few more pennies than a squished Class B, you can roll around the living room floor, cook together in the kitchen, shower and shave (you do one, spouse does other) at the same time in a larger coach.
I wish MY wife would push for a 45 footer! She won't listen to me, so I'm trying to let YOU GUYS talk her into it: I'm telling her what you folks are saying, to go as big as you can afford, to buy your third RV first, etc.

I agree that a mint condition 40 footer sounds like the bang-for-the-buck sweet spot for a first coach. I really do like the bath and a half floor plans, and my wife really wants a washer and dryer. I just need to tell her washers and dryers are only available in 40' and up! :P

David
Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
Get a 45 foot with tag axle and pull a pop-up behind it. Let her stay in the pop-up.
That's funny !
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #26

Whatever your choice is keep in mind , people brag about Gas Mileage about as much as....
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
David,

To satisfy your need for more room Palazzo now has a 36.1 model that is longer.
You could also check out the Winnebago/Itasca ne smaller DPs such as the Forza.
Yes, I've been looking at the Palazzo too, especially the 1.5 bath 36.1 floor plan. Thanks for the tip on the Winnie! I hadn't checked that out yet.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #28

To the OP, you are doing GREAT to rent. Great investment. Before I bought my first TT 9 years ago we rented a class C. It taught me that first and foremost my family and I enjoyed "camping", but that I personally never wanted a class C. ;-) You will also learn to appreciate what amenities you and your wife learn to consider as needed vs. wanted.

Enjoy your outing!

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel