Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
This just my humble opinion, but the best advice I could give, is do what the little lady says! If you do it without her blessing, you will pay a terrible price! It's not worth it, trust me. If she wants a pop-up, buy the pop-up, after she's spent a few night's in that thing, you will have her blessing to buy anything you want. Make sure your first trip, is on a good rainy timeline. This is from a man who has learned his lesson. LOL!!
Listen to the voice of reason. "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets." (Dam Yankees)
Depending on what you want to tow, you may do just as well with a smaller motorhome. Why diesel? Are you planning to tow a 6000lb boat?
Our first MH was a 28ft Class C; today you could do an entry level from 25ft to 30ft for much less than a diesel. Or an entry level Class A gas. You still get very low MPG, but that's part of RVing. But most importantly, it should be a communal decision, she has to love the choice.
Best to you both and Happy Trails.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
Get a 45 foot with tag axle and pull a pop-up behind it. Let her stay in the pop-up.
I like that.....

Old 08-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
I'm trying to sell my wife on the condo on wheels concept, never having to find a nice pet-friendly hotel, not having to move from hotel to hotel (unpacking, packing, etc.). I'm in my mid 40s, my wife in her mid-30s, trying to retire in the next 5 years, though we have no illusions of full-timing!

You're lucky you're on the same page on the RV thing... and odd. Usually hubby wants one thing, wife wants something else, and eventually you compromise and do what your wife wants.
That's so true except for us I wanted smaller and she wanted bigger. We traded the three slide 37ft. DP that she loved for a short class A that I wanted. Eight months later we traded again for a bigger class A that she loves(Winnebago Sightseer 33c) and life is good. PS--I love it also, so that helps a lot.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Apparently after 5 pages you have recieved a lot of suggestions and now you are totaslly confused. Well I'm not going to confuse anymore.

The only thing i want to knoe have you ever driven a 45' or 40' RV pulling a toad or even without the toad? Do you know anything about air brakes? Do you intend to go to state, nat'l parks or coe parks as a 40' won't fit. Most campgrounds fit up to 35'.

I would answer my questions before you go further.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Apparently after 5 pages you have recieved a lot of suggestions and now you are totaslly confused. Well I'm not going to confuse anymore.

The only thing i want to knoe have you ever driven a 45' or 40' RV pulling a toad or even without the toad? Do you know anything about air brakes? Do you intend to go to state, nat'l parks or coe parks as a 40' won't fit. Most campgrounds fit up to 35'.

Tom,
Have to disagree with you on a 40' not fitting in national or state parks. I am 42' and have stayed in many state and national parks all over the northeast, midwest, UP Michigan and south. Have not been out west in a few years so I'll let someone else speak to their experiences.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought a used 34 DP and have spent about 28K on engine, interior, and exterior upgrades and add-ons. Wanted diesel and a couch plus recliner and more storage then my C. Why 34, that is about the largest rig that will fit in most National Park CGs and many other out doorsy spots, my rig is a mobile cabin vs. a condo so size does matter. Standard campgrounds are only for over-nighters were I cannot find a better free safe spot. But I have seen some private campgrounds with park like atmosphere. We enjoy hiking, birding, and sitting outside with nearest other camper at least 50 feet or more away. Life style will dictate a lot of what you decide. Good luck and happy travels.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #63

Forest River Owners Club
Look for a 2008 Forest River Berkshire with the MERCEDES engine... I have one - 38' 4 slides plus all other features a DP should have... I consistently get 9.5 - 11.5 MPG pulling a toad... Fantastic unit and you can get a great deal on one... I know because I did.....
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You read my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
Get a 45 foot with tag axle and pull a pop-up behind it. Let her stay in the pop-up.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
We too started with a pop-up, TT, class C, another class C. If you ever went through a thunderstorm with high wind in a pop-up, you would get rid of it as I did. Anyway, I won't comment on fuel mileage as I don't check it and don't care. Between 1/2 and 1/4, I look for a station and fill up. Pick out what you want, the options that suit your needs and budget. Do research and see what best fits your needs. Then enjoy.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
X2. Unless you are camping ALOT, I think the fiver is the way to go. Then you got an extra vehicle (pickup) that you can loan to everybody and wonder where all the dents come from. Sure makes you popular with the neighbors and family members...

Man I have to take issue with that. Driving a big bus is where the personal fun comes in. The feel of cruising down the road with that monster under your control, floating on an air ride, that is so much of the thrill of a big one! Riding in a truck all day? Whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #67

I'm a Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Listen to the voice of reason. "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets." (Dam Yankees)
Depending on what you want to tow, you may do just as well with a smaller motorhome. Why diesel? Are you planning to tow a 6000lb boat?
Our first MH was a 28ft Class C; today you could do an entry level from 25ft to 30ft for much less than a diesel. Or an entry level Class A gas. You still get very low MPG, but that's part of RVing. But most importantly, it should be a communal decision, she has to love the choice.
Best to you both and Happy Trails.
Lots of people have said I should do what my wife wants, and I want to do that, I really do... but history shows I've usually pressured my wife into doing what I want. I'm a jerk. The great thing about my wife is she hates everything new (even when she gets what she wanted), but grows to love it about 1-2 years in.

Why diesel? Fuel efficiency and power. And I like solid build quality and high end finishes.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:30 AM   #68

Couples Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc47 View Post
That's so true except for us I wanted smaller and she wanted bigger. We traded the three slide 37ft. DP that she loved for a short class A that I wanted. Eight months later we traded again for a bigger class A that she loves(Winnebago Sightseer 33c) and life is good. PS--I love it also, so that helps a lot.
Yes, there's usually a frugal one in every couple; you must be the frugal one, and I am NOT frugal at all. Either way, I'm glad you found a balance that makes everyone happy!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #69

National Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post

Thanks, Tom. You're right, I'm thoroughly confused about what we should get, mainly because of a bewildering array of options to choose from. Until we rent a Class C, I won't know if I can be happy in a 26-32 footer, or if my wife will even be happy in one.

Thanks for the laser-focused questions and national park tip! To answer: I have only driven a 28' Class C decades ago... never a 45' with toad, and I know nothing about air brakes (yet). I'm green, green, green!

As for deciding on RV size based on national park spaces, one thing I know is that obsessing about something can exaggerate its importance. I recall ditching my iPhone because of AT&T dropped calls... then missing all my iPhone apps for 2 years until my Sprint contract ran out. I have heard of a 26' limit for many national parks, and while we love national parks, I don't know if we should let that make our decision. Seems silly to squeeze into a 150 sq ft "studio" for 30 days a year for 3-4 nights we might be in a 26' space, when we could stretch out in a 400-425 sq ft 1BD 1.5BA "suite"... even if we have to drive a toad into some national parks.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
Thanks, Tom. You're right, I'm thoroughly confused about what we should get, mainly because of a bewildering array of options to choose from. Until we rent a Class C, I won't know if I can be happy in a 26-32 footer, or if my wife will even be happy in one.

Thanks for the laser-focused questions and national park tip! To answer: I have only driven a 28' Class C decades ago... never a 45' with toad, and I know nothing about air brakes (yet). I'm green, green, green!

As for deciding on RV size based on national park spaces, one thing I know is that obsessing about something can exaggerate its importance. I recall ditching my iPhone because of AT&T dropped calls... then missing all my iPhone apps for 2 years until my Sprint contract ran out. I have heard of a 26' limit for many national parks, and while we love national parks, I don't know if we should let that make our decision. Seems silly to squeeze into a 150 sq ft "studio" for 30 days a year for 3-4 nights we might be in a 26' space, when we could stretch out in a 400-425 sq ft 1BD 1.5BA "suite"... even if we have to drive a toad into some national parks.
Can a brother get an amen? We also made the decision to buy a permanent pad in the Vegas area to park it and if we need to go east for family reasons, there's a plane less than an hour away. To us space was one of the most important things. Why go studio when you can go Hyatt or Hilton?

Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel