Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Small Class A Less than 30ft options

We are shopping for a Small Class A Motorhome to be used fairly frequently (hopefully). We are a soon to be retired couple who have owned an RV of any kind. So far I have only found 1 model that pushes all of our buttons. The Thor Axis 25.3. I just know there must me other options out there, I just can't seem to find them. (I think my internet searching skills are somewhat lacking!) I had a opportunity to look at and drive one yesterday and we really liked it. But I want to explore what else is out there. I am hoping someone can suggest some other options.
Here are our requirements:
Class A Motorhome
Between 26 and 30 feet (the shorter the better) Anything bigger, will be more coach that I will be comfortable with driving and too expensive for us.
Configured so that one of us can comfortably occupy the coach while moving down the road.
Have a wrap around dinette with removable table
Prefer to also have sofa seating.
Queen bed with floor access on 3 sides of the bed.
fairly large shower.
One or 2 slide outs, not too picky about this but need to be able to still use the area with the slides "in".
All this with a street price in the mid to low $70K range.

The Thor Axix 25.3 comes as close to this list as I have found. I just think there must be others. I was a little disappointed in the exterior storage space, but other than that it was pretty good.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

Used Baystar Sport.

FWIW IMHO your budget clearly puts you in the used market. I have looked at several Axis and am not impressed. ACE either. These motor homes seem to be price point machines out there for the family that wants a few game days and maybe a couple of weeks with the kids in the summer. I don't think they will stand up to a lot of use. OTOH the Baystar sport and anything close to that Tiffin or one of the mid range vendors make would be a lot better choice for someone who expects to do a lot of use.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
DTS

Country Coach Owners Club
If those were my parameters I'd be looking into a Safari Trek. They can be had gently used for half of your stated budget, and built by one of the higher end MFG's back in the day. The only thing you'll give up is the walk-around bed, as most of those had drop-down beds. But I think you'll find that the build quality and the rest of the amenities make up for it, and for "in-motion" livability of a passenger while going down the highway, I don't think you can beat one of those in that coach length.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Consider a used Winnebago Vista 27N , 29.5 feet gasoline powered Class A with awesome storage, huge fresh , grey , tanks. Huge flatscreen TV. Three slides.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
We are shopping for a Small Class A Motorhome to be used fairly frequently (hopefully). We are a soon to be retired couple who have owned an RV of any kind. So far I have only found 1 model that pushes all of our buttons. The Thor Axis 25.3. I just know there must me other options out there, I just can't seem to find them. (I think my internet searching skills are somewhat lacking!) I had a opportunity to look at and drive one yesterday and we really liked it. But I want to explore what else is out there. I am hoping someone can suggest some other options.
Here are our requirements:
Class A Motorhome
Between 26 and 30 feet (the shorter the better) Anything bigger, will be more coach that I will be comfortable with driving and too expensive for us.
Configured so that one of us can comfortably occupy the coach while moving down the road.
Have a wrap around dinette with removable table
Prefer to also have sofa seating.
Queen bed with floor access on 3 sides of the bed.
fairly large shower.
One or 2 slide outs, not too picky about this but need to be able to still use the area with the slides "in".
All this with a street price in the mid to low $70K range.

The Thor Axix 25.3 comes as close to this list as I have found. I just think there must be others. I was a little disappointed in the exterior storage space, but other than that it was pretty good.
We have just been down this road looking for a class A under 30 ft. We were looking for used to avoid the first year depression. Tried several dealers here local to establish a sales person looking for a used one for us. They showed us there new inventory Forest River F3, Winneabgo N27, Jayco Alenta,Fleetwood Flair and a Newmar Bat Star Sport 2701 and several others that slip my mind at the moment.

We really liked the Jayco and the Newmar but we were looking for used even a 2016 end of year price was more then we wanted to spend.

We found a 2008 Newmar Bay Star 2901 on rv trader "let's just take a look to see what a used one is like" This was the first used one we had looked at under 30ft. Needless to say it really was what we were after.

After thinking it over for a few minutes we bought it. We did find out we liked the couch and bigger slide on a 29ft over the 26-28ft floor plans.

We also feel this 8 year old coach is just as good or better then the new ones. Saved enough to look for a newer toad which is next.

So keep looking short ones are out there and you will know when you see the one that fills your wants what ever brand.
Rudy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #6

Safari Treks were constructed from 1991 to 2008. Similar to the high-end Safari coaches and with many up-scale features. See TREK Tracks: Safari TREK Brochures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
If those were my parameters I'd be looking into a Safari Trek. They can be had gently used for half of your stated budget, and built by one of the higher end MFG's back in the day. The only thing you'll give up is the walk-around bed, as most of those had drop-down beds. But I think you'll find that the build quality and the rest of the amenities make up for it, and for "in-motion" livability of a passenger while going down the highway, I don't think you can beat one of those in that coach length.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Since RVing is all new to you I'd recommend buying a used unit. Here is one that looks very nice - a 2005 now reduced for $30,000. It would be great for your first RV. The inside photos looks like it was well-cared for.

2005 Gulf stream Sun Voyager 30' 8292 SE Priced at $ 39500
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Hmm, SWMBO is not sold on the idea of used. I think she would rather have something new for twice the price even if the used one is twice as good.

Next question is how do I convince her used is better in this case?

Are there any good resources explaining why used can be a better choice?
Old 10-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I really like the Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903. It is really out of my price range. Even the 2015 used ones seem to be out of range. But I perceive it to be a better quality rig.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

We looked at the Axis and others.
The Newmar Baystar Sport is what we finally settled on...2901
You will find both the 27 and 29 will meet your needs... walk about queen, sofa, dinette, good size shower 2 slides. Plenty of room for extended living.
Bit I am biased
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
now to find one. I cant; find a used one anywhere on line, all the ones listed have already been sold.

Am I correct in thinking that the Baystar sport will hold it's value longer than the Axis?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Consider a used Winnebago Vista 27N , 29.5 feet gasoline powered Class A with awesome storage, huge fresh , grey , tanks. Huge flatscreen TV. Three slides.

X2 on the Vista. God quality build. You might also consider the Vista 30, as it also has a sofa, though it has a dining table rather than a wrap around. However, the TV lifts up out of the table for a great TV viewing angle, and out of your way when not watching.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
now to find one. I cant; find a used one anywhere on line, all the ones listed have already been sold.

Am I correct in thinking that the Baystar sport will hold it's value longer than the Axis?
I can't speak for resale value but I do know if we had bought the Axis we would be shopping for another motorhome. In total, we occupy our Baystar about 5 months of the year. The Axis would have been too confining and has much less basement storage for the DW's stuff. I fought hard to keep our choice under 30ft.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #14

The Bay star Sport is the one I would be looking at. If you cannot afford a new one, find a used one that has been well cared for. It is much better to get a used coach of higher quality than a new one of lesser quality.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a