Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Next question is how do I convince her used is better in this case?
We bought ours new but saw lots of low mileage used units.

Take her to look at a couple of low, low mileage MHs. If you find one under 5,000 miles, it will likely look & smell new.

She'll like it as well as a new one & you'll like the price

Good luck & happy camping.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
If those were my parameters I'd be looking into a Safari Trek. They can be had gently used for half of your stated budget, and built by one of the higher end MFG's back in the day. The only thing you'll give up is the walk-around bed, as most of those had drop-down beds. But I think you'll find that the build quality and the rest of the amenities make up for it, and for "in-motion" livability of a passenger while going down the highway, I don't think you can beat one of those in that coach length.
Agree, you should check out a Trek. The living area room of a much larger coach due to not having a separate bedroom. A great RV for many folks. We owned one for many years.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #17

Figured i'd mention this because they can be had for a good price these days.

In 2003, we bought our Itasca Sunova 27C (Winnebago has the Sightseer model) because of it's shorter length. It comes out to around 28 feet. I'd say it's more of a mid-entry model but i've found that quality, fit and finish is very good. Wife drives it and we're able to launch the boat with it just fine.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #18

So if I do convince her to go the used route, and say we decide on a Bay star 2903, how do we find one? Can we ask a local dealer to keep a look out for one? Or do we just need to keep searching the internet every day or 2? The closed metro area is maybe 300 miles away, so internet is my primary source. Like I said, we are very new to this game, and I don't know all the rules yet.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #19

Quote:
So if I do convince her to go the used route, and say we decide on a Bay star 2903, how do we find one? Can we ask a local dealer to keep a look out for one? Or do we just need to keep searching the internet every day or 2? The closed metro area is maybe 300 miles away, so internet is my primary source. Like I said, we are very new to this game, and I don't know all the rules yet.
The only rule is buyer beware...do your homework on the model and features you want. Then do searches until you find one. My wife saw one the same as ours for sale the other day, she doesn't remember where but it was in the US..google it and it should show up.
This time of year make a low ball and let them counter offer....good luck
Old 10-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LarryJB-

We did all our research over the Internet before we bought our "new to us" coach. Then we traveled 950 miles to bring it home. I think this is "typical," and probably will be so for you, too.

A search of two larger RV Web sites show a half- to a dozen 2903s for sale right now.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #21

A few months ago we bought a used 2006 Itasca Sunova 29R (also Winnebago Sightseer) with low miles in excellent condition. This layout has two slides, walk around queen bed, sofa, and dinette, with an overall length of just under 30'. We just returned from a cross country 12 week/8000 mile trip and were thrilled with everything about the RV. The livability and storage were fantastic, and it drove great as well. I believe these were made until about 2009, but I've seen some decent ones out there as friends of ours are looking as well. We looked for a long time and luckily we found one in great shape and priced right.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #22

At this point we have prety\ty much ruled out the Axis just too many issues with the build quality. We are now leaning toward the Winnie Vista 29VE. The Winnies seem to fit our needs as of now. It really has become a moving target. But we do have some time.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a great choice. We have been very happy with the quality of our 26HE. While it has less bells and whistles than the other Winnebago Call A's, it also has less things that can break! :-)
Old 10-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #24

Take a look at a Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903.
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #25

Quote:
I really like the Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903. It is really out of my price range. Even the 2015 used ones seem to be out of range. But I perceive it to be a better quality rig.
+1 on the 2903. In mine right now. Great floorplan.
Also one of the higher carrying capacities for that length of RV.
WhatsHisName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, too, suggest used for a first time buyer. All of the bugs have been worked out, biggest depreciation has already occurred, and the price will allow alot of extra "stuff" and money for gas and camping.

We got our "new to us" 2004 Itasca M30W for a steal. Great condition, low mileage, new batteries, tires, awning, slide toppers...NADA value of just under $40,000, paid only $27,500.

Every brand new RV out there WILL have a long list of warranty items that you will have to return to have fixed, likely several times; just the state of the RV industry unfortunately. Go ahead, do a search to verify that. The quickest way to turn a newbie RV owner away from RVing is to spend the first several trips with things going wrong and the first 3-6 months of ownership going back & forth to the dealer getting things fixed. Used coaches have already had all of those items taken care of.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #27

We are really not in a big hurry to purchase, so I plan on occupying my time researching. SWMBO, has a tendency to make quick decisions about these big purchases, but I have talked her into slowing down a bit. She just get bored and frustrated with all this technical research that I like to do.

I have a perception that I may be able to find a better choice of rigs and also be able to negotiate a better price during the winter, say January or February. Is that accurate? Or just wishful thinking on my part?
Old 10-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
More rigs seem to sell in the Summer (especially June and July) than any other time of the year. But, that doesn't mean it's best to buy in the Winter. It's not a "10" situation.

I've always been a detail-oriented, analytical sort- excessively so. Perhaps that describes you. If so, here's a method I suggest for you: Learn everything you can about the BayStar 2903 you can. View every one up for sale on the Web; become familiar with the layout and components used in different model years; read every BayStar post on iRV2; save pictures of coaches, including the compartments and interiors. By this method, you'll start to "own" a BayStar 2903 in your mind. You'll determine what is fair to pay, what weaknesses need review (and possible addressing) in each coach of that model and year. For instance, I learned that some models of our coach were built with slide seals that tended to rust and fall off. You'll also learn a lot about RV systems and issues in general.

Now, all that said, I suggest one other thing: Every now and then, look at similar coaches from Newmar and other manufacturers. You may discover that a Tiffin or Monaco or Winnebago has a similar floorplan to the 2903, is priced similarly, and would be a suitable alternative should the opportunity present itself. In other words, cast a wider net, but not in the same detail. You may also find some rare coaches that pique your interest!

Keep your wife involved by floating candidate coaches onto her radar screen once in a while. She'll start to "own" one, too, and help focus attention on concerns you may not have considered.

In six months, you will know enough to instantly recognize the coach you want to buy when it shows up on the Internet, in a dealer's lot, or parked in someone's front yard with a "For Sale" sign on it.

This certainly is not a method suitable for everyone, but it worked for me and my wife.

Oh, we found the coach in November and picked it up in December. Our first coach, it was July and August.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a