Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #15
Our Winnebago Aspect class C has cab seats that turn around and become the main seating source. So that has changed I guess over the years but it is a down size from an A. In fact we are now looking for a bit more space. It's great for weekend or short trips but gets a bit close on longer ones. Looking at a 2015 Newmar Ventana 3635. Hope it will be enough space. We'll see.

tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #16
Class C's are out of the question, due to Generator, Slide, and leveling issues. And really are determined to stay under 30 feet, which eliminates the Newmars.

Cuttymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #17
Had a 26' vista. As mentioned, one AC can't keep up. If you need AC you might want to look at the smallest one with two ac's.
2014 Journey 34B
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Cuttymeister View Post
Class C's are out of the question, due to Generator, Slide, and leveling issues. And really are determined to stay under 30 feet, which eliminates the Newmars.
Newmar Baystar Sport - 3 or 4 models in your range depending on whether or not you count the inches. ;-)

FWIW I think they may have one of the best handles on how to do a small RV. YMMV.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #19
Originally Posted by boater1217 View Post
We just bought a Jayco Precept 31UL, looked at the Newmar sport (side by side), liked the fit and finish of the Newmar but liked the layout of the Precept. Might want to take a look at it before pulling the trigger.
Just looked online,they sure look good..nice warranty. for your short time use looks like one to put in the mix. lots of nice features

2011 Creek Side 23RKS
college place,washington,9/11 never forget
2010 F150,tow package,air bags,E rated tires.
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #20
We have downsized from a 40 foot Monaco DP, and are now shopping for a small 27-28 foot Class A unit. Started out looking at FR3, Coachmen Pursuit, Thor ACE 27, and Winnebago/Itasca Vista/Sunstar 27N.

We have pros and cons for all of them, but would appreciate some input on others in this situation.

The Winnebago models have a slight edge with us over the Thor, but $15,000 more in price. Don't intend to live in it, like we did the Monaco, but use it around 3-4 times a year, with one long trip (4-6 weeks) annually.

Would like to pull the trigger on a cash purchase by April 1, and ALL input would be greatly appreciated!!

The Tiffin Breeze was available for several years as a 28' model. It actually measured just under 30'. I think that they only build the 32' version now so this would mean looking used. Winnebago also builds the Via which is built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I think it measures around 28'.

Just a couple of diesel options.
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #21
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This thread is perfect for me. Have a truck and TT that measure 52ft. I have seen the Bay Star at the Pomona show and it looks great. A 30 ft MH towing a Wrangler sounds great. Just me and the dog. Retired so more trips in the future.
Looking to go slightly used. Are there MH's that hold up better over time than others. Some look nice new but look old fast. Will probably go with a gasser, that means Ford. Plan on some trips 1500 from home. I do my own servise and minor repairs. Had TT's for years with good luck. Will be watching this thread.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #22
Although you can't go wrong with the Newmar, and they do have them in the size you want, maybe plus a few inches, If you are limiting your choice between the Winnebago, Coachman or a Thor product I would definitely go with the Winnebago. We spent a lot of time researching and driving everything we could before we bought, and in my opinion the Winnebago was way better built than the Thor/Coachman.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #23
And really are determined to stay under 30 feet, which eliminates the Newmars.
You do know the two Newmar models 2702, 2705 are shorter than the Winnebago.

But your call.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #24
Did NOT know that, thank you!
Cuttymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
We looked at all of the ones mentioned. Finally ordered the Itasca Sunstar 27N, 2016. Our friends were so impressed that they ordered one. We also down sized. Very, very pleased with it.
2016 Itasca 27N
Larry & Jeannie
4 legged friends, Daisy & Sam
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:14 AM   #27
A few things you need to be aware of looking at smaller coaches. If your fairly tall you need to make sure the bed is the long 80" one not the shorter size frequently found in smaller coaches. The smaller coaches tend to be 30 amp which means only one AC unit. I would consider 28-30 feet about the max for a single AC to handle. You get what you pay for things like an inverter, auto transfer generator switching, power management systems, double door refrigerators, fans in the roof vents, etc may or may not be available on a smaller coach so pay attention to how it is equipped. If buying new now make sure you know if it is on a 2015 or 2016 chassis, the 2016 6 speed is quieter and flat out performs the older 5 speed in every way I can measure.
Our first coach was an FR3 30DS relatively problem free, drove well but we outgrew it fairly quickly. If at all possible make sure the coach has the 22.5 inch tires not the 19.5 The FR3 drove OK it was 19.5 anything we have driven with the 22.5 in tires drives better.
Brenda & AL
2016 30th Anniversary Bounder 35K, 6 speed chassis
2013 Chevy Sonic, 2015 KTM 390 Duke
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Vista 27N owner since September. Loves:
- full queen size bed with inner spring mattress
- great bedroom storage
- great basement storage
- HUGE water, grey, black tanks
- Benchmark dinette - be sure to get this option!
- MCD shades
- Lots of of load margin on wheels and tires even at max weight
- Lots of margin to carry cargo before exceeding rated capacity
- A modern Shurflo water pump with bypass that does not "pulse"

Things I had to change after purchase:
- cheap noisy OEM Bathroom fan - replaced with a MaxxAir
- added Cheap Handling Fix, Safe-T-Steer, and Air-tabs to make handling acceptable to me
- Sound bar for TV
- Oxygenics shower head to replace the cheap OEM one
- 5-Star-Tune mod for engine (might not need if you get a 2016 with new 6 speed trans)
- roof top TV antenna

"Live with things" you can't really change:

- Noise in the driver / passenger seats when the engine has to work hard above 3,000 RPM climbing grades
- Cruise control does not work well except on perfectly flat roads
- The passenger seat does not have any adjustments except for forward/back track travel and backrest recline
- The Swintek 2 track slide system on the 3 slides have to be closely monitored. The screws on mine slowly work loose and when I see a screw head that is not down tight I have to tighten down. I have to check them every other month.

Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote

class a, motorhome, motorhomes