Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Small crack in windshield

Two days ago my 2015 Baystar received a rock chip which now has grown to appox. 6 inches. Since Mr. Smarty is on the hook for the first $1,000. is there a fix for now that may allow me to go some time before entire replacement. Can go either way but would just as soon put it off if possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

As long as the crack is not in your line of vision, the crack is not a problem unless you have a state inspection coming up. You could get a good repairer to take a look at it and see if he can stabilize it so it doesn't go too much further. A good guy should be able to tell you if he can do anything without a charge.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Double check your policy. Many policies routinely carry a lower deductible for glass. Alternatively, contact customer service and ask about paying for low or zero deductible glass coverage. Most carriers it's only about an additional $20-$30 per year as an add-on.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 PM   #4

In Florida the state will reimburse your insurance company 100% with $0 deductible for windshield repair if it is determined that it impairs the view of the driver or is growing. Twice in the lifetime of the vehicle.

Check your local insurance and laws.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep the chip from spreading - Use caution with regards to quick temperature changes on the windshield.

i.e. Washing the MH when its warm outside and spraying the windshield with cool / cold water. Or cleaning the windshield at a gas stop, don't use cool water.

I've had a chip in mine for a few years, and am very careful with temperature differentials on the windshield.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #6

As said, depends on your state inspection laws if it is allowed or not when you need inspection. Either way, what is critical is to treat the ends of the cracks so it doesn't keep spreading. A good glass guy can use a diamond drill to slightly round the ends of the cracks and fill it with the glass repair UV cure epoxy that will stabilize the ends.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:26 AM   #7

"They" say that a crack that can be covered by a dollar bill can be repaired. If you fall into that category, contact a glass shop. They vacuum inject an epoxy of something that will seal the crack. I have never had it done as in Florida, windshield replacement with $0 deductible is a requirement for insurance policies.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #8
IC2

There really is no good fix for a crack. Stress will extend it regardless of any advertising gimmicks. Chip, yes, they can often be repaired to a point.

Take another look at your policy. It may have full glass coverage which is outside of the usual deductible clause. We have full glass coverage with our ins. company for the TV, car and the 5er through AMICA. If not, you will probably need to 'bite the bullet' before your next state inspection.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #9

To my knowledge, a crack can not be repaired. I just had mine replace due to three cracks that appeared one day without a stone chip. I think it was caused from stress and a temp change. Check you policy as others have said. I have a $500 deductible for collision, but paid an extra $34/year for a zero deduct on glass. The windshield was close to $3000.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
"They" say that a crack that can be covered by a dollar bill can be repaired. If you fall into that category, contact a glass shop. They vacuum inject an epoxy of something that will seal the crack. I have never had it done as in Florida, windshield replacement with $0 deductible is a requirement for insurance policies.
PanJH
I've not had a crack repaired but I do have 5 repaired chips... all at no cost to me... (done correctly they disappear).
Most insurance companies will pay 100% for crack repair if it is a reparable crack.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #11

Call your agent. Even wiith a deductible for replacement, some insurance companies used to pay for a repair attempt with no deductible to try to save the windshield instead of full replacement.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post

x2 on the dollar bill test. A crack WILL spread. The epoxy (really a UV cured adhesive) approach frequently helps stabilize the ends of the crack and halt it from spreading .. And it also might not work. My take is that the "repair" approach is cheap and fast and worth a try. It does not make the crack invisible, but usually stops it from spreading. Replacing the entire windshield is expensive, takes a long time due to ordering and shipping the glass, AND is intrusive on the rv ( done too many times the seal between the glass and the rv can be compromised). Cracks can spread FAST. if you take the repair approach, do it TODAY.

(I had one chip I ignored. Ended up going through a hassle replacing the entire windshield ... Even the factory repair center would have had me waiting a week for parts. Last summer was driving in Texas ... "Ping" ... A new chip from a projectile. Paused my drive the next morning to have it repaired. The repair place came right to the campground😀.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #13

I had a crack start at the bottom and start up the windshield 6" and go across another 6 ", went to the local windshield place and he took a glss cutter from the edge of the crack and scribed a line back down to the bottom, went inside and lightly tapped the glass with the end of the glass cutter and chased the crack back down to the bottom rubber, it is not in the wiper travel so will still pass inspection, was atemp fix 2 years ago, had it inspected and so I most likely will not replace it.Good luck.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfarmer View Post
Two days ago my 2015 Baystar received a rock chip which now has grown to appox. 6 inches. Since Mr. Smarty is on the hook for the first $1,000. is there a fix for now that may allow me to go some time before entire replacement. Can go either way but would just as soon put it off if possible.
Well Sir,
We've lived in two states to date. CA and presently AZ. In both those states and, the counties we lived and live in, there is NO automatic glass coverage for windshields etc. If you want FREE replacement, you pay for it, in the premiums, period. With that being said, we too had/have a crack in the passenger side windshield. It happened about 3.5 years ago as a chip. I waited for a nice day to do the repair myself. But, when that nice day came, I was too late.

The chip had turned into a crack. And, it had traveled to a length of right at 13" in a dog leg type design. Well, I was depressed as, because at the time, we had a $1,000 deductible, I already knew that one side of that windshield was close to $800. But, I thought I'd cruise through the yellow pages to see what I could find in a repair for a crack. Well, guess what, I found the "Crack Doctor". (heck of a name huh?)

Anyway, they came out, and, stop-drilled it to keep it from running any further. Then they proceeded to drill it at various points, to inject the resin as much as possible. That was 3.5 years ago. The crack, is still 13" long and, has not ventured out in any other direction. It sits semi-low, in the passenger side, about 1/3 the way across, from the right lower corner of the that side.

I've been told by many RV glass repair shops/independant chip repair people that if at all possible, keep the original windshield(s) in place, for as long as possible. Well, our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, it's still got both sides of the original windshield. Both sides have had numerous chips repaired and, when both are spotlessly cleaned, it's fairly difficult to see most of the repairs and, even the crack "almost" must be looked for.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote