Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any good automotive "wax" (most modern finishes don't actually have any wax in them anymore) designed for a clear coated paint finish will work fine, but it won't stop further deterioration. You would have to block the heat and sunlight altogether to do that. Anybody for a flat white finish on their coach?

Consider keeping it in covered storage when not in use - keep direct sun off as much as possible. Tough to do if you use your RV much.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
What appears to be fibers are actually cracks in the paint that has been caused by cracking of the gelcoatof the Fiberglas panel under the paint. It is caused by heat from the sun hence more cracking in the darker colors which get hotter. If all of the old paint is removed down to the gelcoat you will see the cracks(checking) in the Fiberglas. An epoxy primer before repainting will help but eventually the new paint will also crack. There is no cheap fix for this problem which is quite common.

2010 Phoenix Cruiser 3100, 2016 Hyundai Veloster, Demco SS dolly
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I would tend to agree with DynaDave. My 05 Journey has this going on.I called Winnebago trying to at least get information on whether they knew what was causing the problem so I could determine how to fix it.They refered me to CDI who paints the motohomes.CDI said it is a fiberglass/gelcoat problem not the paint.Winnebago said it doesn't matter because it is out of warranty. All I wanted was information and all I got was "Not our problem"and a reluctance to even talk to me.My initial thought was to sand down with 600, spray a good hard clear over the top..But both parties avoid comment so...I may still try this in a couple spots and see if it works.
roadkingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
I tried winnibago too and they were really shy about talking about it, like there is a conspiracy or something ? They were no help whatsoever. Anyway I am in process of sanding out the areas that were peeled badly and then I am repainting and re-clear coat and then wax or automotive sealer of some type over whole thing. I am not touching any areas where still shiny but just the fiber thing under paint, I hope those will stop now that coach is stored indoors and moved out of Arizona to cooler pacific NW. will let you know how it turns out.
deepfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by deepfish View Post
I just purchase an 05 Itasca Meridian 39'. It has the silver/sand/burgundy full body paint graphics. It is still very shiny but had been left out in the sun and one side has both some clear coat flaking in 3 areas (all on the dark red/burgundy color) and on the majority of the rest of this side even though still nice and shinny you can see thousands of small fibers about 1/4" long that look to be under the paint but have migrated to the top and causes these tiny outlines of themselves. I would like to hear if someone else has seen this, what it is, if its going to get worse or if a good sealer and keeping it out of the sun at least when stored might keep it as is. I don't really mind the look as like I said still shiny and you have to look close to see them but I do want to keep them in check if they are moving towards the surface.
The defect that you are describing is called Thermal Checking. It is basically poorly manufactured fiberglass walls. There are ways to 'hide' the defect but the only way to eliminate it completely is to remove the walls down to the superstructure, replace and repaint. For my coach that is a 40-50 thousand dollar job, it ain't going to happen.

I use a special wax called Black Velvet for the black and maroon colored areas of the coach. The wax is black in color. If using a normal cream colored wax, when the wax gets into the check marks it is very noticeable. With the Black Velvet wax, they don't stand out so much.

It's only a temporary coverup but it does help.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote