Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 05:30 AM   #1

Small Propane Leak at Tank Gauge Threads

I have been chasing a small propane leak for a very long time and finally found it yesterday. It is the threads where the propane level sending unit screws into the side of the tank. Since I couldn't find anyone local who would fill the tank, I am doubting I can find someone to service it.

1. Is the plastic gauge easily removed from the sender such that a socket can be used?

2. Can I try to tighten with propane in the tank or does the tank need to be emptied (not sure who will do this service locally)?

3. I assume there is an orientation requirement to the sending unit since it uses a float, will turning it screw this up such that the entire sending unit must be removed to correctly fix this?

4. Is there anything I can apply externally to seal this up?

vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 06:16 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
vettenuts-

I had a small leak near the regulator on my motorhome's tank. I called my local propane supplier, and he came out to find the leak and fix it, as at the time I could not move the coach to his property. That would have been less expensive than the field service, I expect.

It's my understanding that any commercial propane outfit (the ones that install and service propane systems, rather than just sell propane) can service your unit.

Mark

Old 10-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tank will have to be empty and you should have a pro replace it.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried calling Suburban Propane, they have a couple of places in RI.

Suburban Propane - Location Finder
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

I've done a few of these. I would really recommend you leave the job to somebody very familiar with what needs to be done. Not just due to the mechanical difficulty (not THAT bad), but to make things even more "special", one spark anywhere during the majority of the work on this job would be catastrophic. Step one will be to disconnect all coach batteries with the coach positioned in an open area (on a windy day!).

The tank does not need to be empty, but you will loose the propane in the tank that's above the level of the hole left in the tank with the gauge removed. If it's usable as is, suggest you wait until there is 1/4 tank or less.

The gauge has a float attached to it inside the tank, so it must be installed in a manner that allows that float to move up and down freely as the propane level changes (otherwise it won't work worth a darn). This means that to tighten only, you would need to get an entire turn on that gauge - not very likely.

The gauges are reasonably inexpensive. It's usually the tech's judgement call on whether he will replace or just reinstall, depending on the gauge's condition once removed.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Have you tried calling Suburban Propane, they have a couple of places in RI.

Suburban Propane - Location Finder

They refused to touch it.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
They refused to touch it.
That's puzzling, tank is no different then their tanks with the gauge on top. Probably as soon as they hear RV it scares them. This doesn't help you, in Williams, AZ there is an independent dealer, Superior Propane that claims to work on RV's. I would be tempted to repair it myself, as ahicks suggested. However, I would burn the liquid off as low as you can until stove won't light. Then go to a place with no one around and open the vent to bleed the remaining pressure. As mentioned by ahicks try to have a breeze blowing away from MH. Clean the tank threads with a brass brush. Install gauge using some good pipe SEALANT, not Teflon tape. Either reuse or buy a new gauge. When filling the tank the first time only put a small amount in it to test for leaks.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #8

Well, I think I lucked out. I called several propane facilities and RV dealers. Unbelievable some of the outright stupid responses I got. I then called a garage in Cantebury, CT who I had work on my exhaust last year and did a great job. They also do work on the house portion of the coach. I spoke to the dad (father and son team) and he knew exactly the problem, how to fix it and provided me with a lot of other information that led me to believe he can easily take care of this issue for me.

Dropped the coach off today. He has a large propane heater (looks like a jet engine) that he will use to burn off the propane. Then he will fix the leak, pressure test, purge and fill my propane tank. One interesting thing he told me was that it isn't always the seal between the threads that leaks, he told me that sometimes the fitting itself will develop pin holes due to dis-similar metals and the fitting will leak. If that's the case, it will take an extra day to get the part.

Will report back how things come out but right now, assuming all goes well, this is a major load off my shoulders
Old 11-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

Propane tank is fixed and filled. Total cost $307 for the parts, labor of the repair and a full tank of propane.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good deal! I don't know why most propane places are scared to even go near an RV it makes no sense to me.

As soon as I mention that I live in a motorhome full time they basically write me off as a customer. I had to beg and threaten one here to promise to order and deliver me a 120 gallon ASME tank (which still hasn't arrived yet...) for a total cost to me of about $580 dollars making $200 a month payments. This is after I paid over $1000 to prebuy propane for the farm and lease a 120 gallon propane tank and 100 gallons of propane.

I later found out that they have in theory 120 gallon tanks but they are for sale outright only and that my lease was entirely imaginary and that I would get a tank if someone decided out of the goodness of their heart to give up an old one. I only got to make payments on a tank because the farm has done business with them for 10 years and even then just to get several angry people out of the office so he could have lunch...

Tried with another propane company in town and got the same treatment.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #11

I still cannot believe some of the responses I got when initially calling around. The place that did the work told me nobody will touch the propane system anymore, even the RV dealers.

This is the second great repair experience I have had there so I now have a go to repair facility. In the spring I am going to have them install the Banks system.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He should have given you a discount for heating his garage if it was cold out ..

I was going to give you some advice, but since you have taken it already, All I can say is Good Job.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #13

Tell us where you had the work done. Name, address, and telephone number.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kept Man View Post
Tell us where you had the work done. Name, address, and telephone number.
Here is the place that did the work:

R & R General Repair, Inc.
16 Old Plainfield Rd.
Canterbury, CT 06331

It is a father/son team, both named Roger.

Tags
leak, propane, tank