Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #29

I have a half brother with a 40ft Eagle and tows a 29ft Sea Dory trawler
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Tiffin Breeze is available at 28 feet and 32 feet.
Allegro Breeze - Overview | Tiffin Motorhomes
Thanks for the link. One thing the 28 ft model lacks is inside storage space. The entire midsection is taken by the shower (drivers side) and the sink/toilet (passenger side). The extra 5 ft of length in the 33 ft buys you a wardrobe and pantry.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Ok, so I went and measured the driveway at our new house(never trust a realtor). The driveway is 35' long and if I put a driveway in on the other side of the house(who needs a lawn anyway?) I can get about a 38' long driveway. So that changes things a little bit. Like I said before, we have a boat. I figure it weighs about 6000 lbs including the trailer. It is about 25' long from the trailer tongue to the transom. So my question is how many of you guys with class A motorhomes tow a boat? If so, how difficult do you find it is to launch/retrieve the boat?, or get around a provincial/state campsite. I know some of them can be tight. I'm thinking of going with a 34-35 foot motorhome.
You just introduced another very, very important variable....what you are going to tow.

First of all, very few of the gas RVs can tow over 5,000 lbs. This also eliminates a lot of the Class C and B's.

Second, Some of the short Class A RV's, including the Allegro Breeze 28 and 32 ft RV's mentioned at the beginning of this thread are limited to towing 4,000 and 4,500 lbs (respectively).

This will narrow down your choices pretty rapidly.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
You just introduced another very, very important variable....what you are going to tow.

First of all, very few of the gas RVs can tow over 5,000 lbs. This also eliminates a lot of the Class C and B's.

Second, Some of the short Class A RV's, including the Allegro Breeze 28 and 32 ft RV's mentioned at the beginning of this thread are limited to towing 4,000 and 4,500 lbs (respectively).

This will narrow down your choices pretty rapidly.
Yes I agree with you. Usually the first number I look at is length, the second number is GCWR and GVWR to get the towing capability. The 28 and 32' Allegro Breeze seems like quite a nice coach, but it won't tow enough for me. It also only has a 215hp engine. That seems really small to me, even to power just the coach!
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I have a half brother with a 40ft Eagle and tows a 29ft Sea Dory trawler
And how does he find it to launch that large of a boat with that large of a MH? Seems that would be difficult, especially at some of the ramps I've been too.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #34

So with the 30' Beav, towing my 5K race car trailer is a breeze. The running gear was sized for a 40' coach with significant tow capacity.

However, I'm not sure I'd launch a boat with the Beav. Like I alluded to earlier, the Cat and grade makes stopping while backing down hill in reverse a challenge, so I let gravity do all the work.

Our local lake is well below normal pool because of an earthquake fault under the dam, so I'll have to take this opportunity to see how paranoid I need to be. There's probably 50 yards between the ramp and the water.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #35

The Thor Pallazo is pretty good. Also rethink your choice of type. There are some pretty nice gas powered class A's out there.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Palazzo is sharp.. I still wonder about towing capacity
Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc44a View Post
The Thor Pallazo is pretty good. Also rethink your choice of type. There are some pretty nice gas powered class A's out there.
Yes I agree with you. There are some nice gas powered MH's out there, but will they handle well enough for the amount I want to tow? Most seem to top out at 3500 pound towing capacity or 5000 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
The Palazzo is sharp.. I still wonder about towing capacity
The Palazzo is quite nice. I like the floorplans. But why on earth is it limited to only 4000lb towing capacity?? And it says it has a 10000lb hitch? HUH? Why do they need to put a 10000lb hitch on something that will only tow 4000lbs? Maybe the numbers are undervalued greatly.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smallest diesel pusher camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Hello. I am contemplating purchasing a Class A diesel pusher motorhome. I have not yet narrowed down the make/model etc. However, I am limited in length. I think the maximum I can go is about 33'. Any longer and I won't be able to fit it on my driveway. I haven't been able to find a DP that short. Does anyone know if anybody makes them that short? This is my first time posting on this forum, but I have been a lurker for a while. This site has a ton of great info. Thanks for the help
Here's the smallest Diesel Pusher I can find:

Click image for larger version

Name:	82-VW-CampMobile.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	22031

See ebay: Item number:300719845957

Hmmm...will that fit in the driveway?
Oh wait, you said Class "A"?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #39

The pulling of the boat, is a key decision in the choice of rig (chassis and engine) you end up with. If needed, drop years to remain within budget range (you have not mentioned a budget for this item).

IMO, look 36-38'. Look for 10K towing capacity chassis. Look for ISM or Big Cat engines. A few rigs to check into would be. Country Coach, Foretravel, Travel Supreme (but most of these in this size came with the ISL, some Alpines had a bigger block, and of course the Beavers like the Patriot, or the Monaco Dynasty also could be found with the ISM in some years...

Sure others too, but those are all good coaches, that come with better then average chassis and side radiator with big blocks available.

Another thing to consider, even though you loose basement storage, is a 38' with tag. It would give you an extra safety margin in handling and towing stability. Foretravel, Country Coach both had 38' Tag units, others may have too...

On any coach, check the full weight capacity very closely, to be sure you are good to go... The last item, is the bigger blocks usually provide a better compression braking assist, many with three stage - that is a nice thing to have while pulling that weight....

Best of luck, have fun, be safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #40

I missed a great deal on a 32' country coach, about a 2001, 32', no slides, and at least a 350HP motor. I understand Fortravel has a few 34s out there as well.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any options for affordable storage offsite? The weight of the rig may crack your driveway and you would want to add extra reinforcement if putting it on the side. Storage is likely around $50-65 per month; up to $140 for pole building storage. Offsite gives you more options.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Met two owners of the new short Tiffens and they say that it is impossible to keep it on the road...all over the road. Something is seriously wrong with that chassis and weight distribution and wheel base combo!
DogsCamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel