Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Smart chargers and solar charging

I'm adding a Magnum Smart Battery Charger to my coach to charge the engine batteries. Since I also use solar charging I am wondering how the smart charger will be affected by the solar unit. Should I expect problems? Are these two systems compatible?

Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Chances are both of them will be monitoring the battery charge state and regulating their output according, with varying degrees of "smart". That's not harmful to either one, but you may find that the Magnum is doing most of the work (except of course when there is no shore or genset power). So the basic answer is that the Magnum will pretty much inore the solar charger, but may reduce its output a bit when the sun is shining and the solar producing good voltage and amps.

When off-grid, the Magnum's charging circuit won't be monitoring battery state and isn't involved.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Does your last sentence mean that the engine batteries won't receive charging when boondocking? That's when I need it most. When boondocking, the solar system keeps the house batteries up just fine, but over a few weeks the engine batteries discharge.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Does your last sentence mean that the engine batteries won't receive charging when boondocking? That's when I need it most. When boondocking, the solar system keeps the house batteries up just fine, but over a few weeks the engine batteries discharge.

If your coach has one of the B.I.R.D. type battery isolator devices then when either one of the battery banks is at about 13.3 VDC then the isolator devise energizes and ties the banks together which effectively provides charge voltage to both.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
Should work well together. We have Magnum inverter/charger and TriStar solar charger. I spoke w/TriStar ~2 yrs ago with same question. TriStar said it will work fine without any user action. In fact turn off your Magnum charger and take advantage of free electricity. I wasn't surprised TriStar would say that. Our experience has been exactly as TriStar said. The solar charges during the daylight, and the Magnum sees that higher charging voltage and thinks the batteries are full so it rests. When the sun goes down the Magnum takes over and usually goes into float charge.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Many Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
Should work well together. We have Magnum inverter/charger and TriStar solar charger. I spoke w/TriStar ~2 yrs ago with same question. TriStar said it will work fine without any user action. In fact turn off your Magnum charger and take advantage of free electricity. I wasn't surprised TriStar would say that. Our experience has been exactly as TriStar said. The solar charges during the daylight, and the Magnum sees that higher charging voltage and thinks the batteries are full so it rests. When the sun goes down the Magnum takes over and usually goes into float charge.

Hey Guys....thanks for your assistance. You've cleared up a somewhat confusing issue for me. Charger arrives Monday. If I have any installation issues I'll be gettin' back to ya'!!!

Tags
charging, solar