Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Smart wheel clockspring

Has anyone replaced or repaired the clockspring on their smart wheel? I've chased everything down to the smartwheel, itself. I had no response to headlights, wipers, cruise, or horn. Replaced the module, checked all fuses, finally removed the assembly holding all the controls on the smart wheel and rewired them directly from the module and everything worked. Therefore, I'm assuming it must be in the clockspring workings within the wheel. Pictures and strategy of removal and repair would be nice. Thanks in advance.

David & Kacy Alexander
Corrales, NM
2003 Alpine 40' FDTS
Dave&Kacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We had our clockspring replaced about 4 years ago and it cured numerous gremlins in the Smart Wheel.

Wipers wouldn't work in Hi/Lo, then they would. Cruise intermittent. Etc etc etc

I did not do the work myself but I watched a tech do it and it was relatively quick and appeared to be straightforward.

Good luck!

Mark & Sheila Heilman & The 3 Fur-Ball Princesses - Nikko, Mai-Thai & Andy
'07 MADP 4523, 2012 GMC Terrain SLT 2 wd
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, M&G Engineering Dinghy Braking System

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some have stickers on the new part with re-install directions, if not do this. Before removing park with the wheels straight ahead as driving down the highway, put a mark on it at top center and on the steering wheel,rotate the clock spring to the right and count the revolutions to stop. Rotate back to where you started "center", then count rotations to the left to stop. Clock spring should be equal revolutions side to side. Clock springs are not complicated as some make out to be. They just need to be centered so they can rotate with the steering wheel full right and left. Hope this helps.
2000 MADP 4080,Spartan MM, IFS
Cummins ISC 350
robertgable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
Doc, I too have gremlins in my SmartWheel. I noticed you replaced your controller in 2009. I have a 2007 MA and have yet to replace the controller. I have had to reset it a few times though. I hesitate to replace the controller because it doesn't seem to be the problem.....I wonder if replacing the clockspring will be the fix?
2007 MADP, 4121
LABergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
LABergo - I am on my third controller (none at my expense) and that still didn't fix the problem. Replacing the clock spring did!

Mark & Sheila Heilman & The 3 Fur-Ball Princesses - Nikko, Mai-Thai & Andy
'07 MADP 4523, 2012 GMC Terrain SLT 2 wd
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, M&G Engineering Dinghy Braking System

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to the clock spring that is in my rig, don't know if it is the same as yours, I own a 2002 Monaco Windsor

Go to the Douglas Autotech website, they are the suppliers of the steering columns on most rigs and have the service bulletins.

Go here
Service Parts | Douglas Autotech Corporation

Type in 1900043 and it will bring up the instructions on how to change.

If this isn't the one it is probably close enough.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote