Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

SmartCore Vinyl Plank Flooring

Has anyone used SmartCore vinyl plank in an RV? It's made by a company called Natural Flooring and sold at Lowes. I brought a sample home and gave it a thorough beating and it appears to be tough as nails. I've used Allure stick together at home and it has held up extremely well, but this stuff looks better and is ridged like laminate and clicks together. It is like a thin laminate material (5.5 mm thick or just under 1/4") which would be great for under the slides with slide slickers. They claim it is 100% waterproof and dimensionally stable. Even though it appears to be a typical laminate construction, it is all vinyl. My living room slides ride in on the carpet (Fleetwood - PowerGear style) with the flush floor one making full carpet contact for the last foot of inbound travel (reason the slide slickers will be necessary). The reviews at Lowes are almost all good to excellent, but any RV experience would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #2

Smart Core / CoreTec

I did a little more research on this product. Best I can tell it is actual made by US Floors and is likely the first generation of their product called CoreTec. They have two versions of this; CoreTec One and CoreTec Plus. The CoreTec One is very similar to the Lowe's product, but slightly thicker and with a click locking attachment method while the Smart Core is a "drop lock" which I assume is not as robust (and perhaps why US Floors went to the click lock design for their branded product). The CoreTec Plus has a much thicker wear layer (0.020" vs. 0.012") and a cork underlayment backing. And yes, they are both more expensive than the Lowe's ($2.41 vs. $3.49 vs. $3.79 per square foot). So has anymore had experience with CoreTec?

Old 03-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Coretec Plus

Just came across this stuff as well. I've got the rig gutted and am looking for a completely new floor. I had originally looked at Armstrong fiberglass sheet vinyl but this Coretec Plus stuff looks pretty slick and relatively easy to install.

Post back any new info you get and I'll do the same. I'm roughly 3 weeks out from purchasing and laying.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

Yes, I recently finished installing smart core vinyl planks in our entire RV we bought from Lowe's. We replaced the old ugly carpet and have had the planks in there for about a month. We have taken it out on a couple trips and it appears to be holding up well. it looks very nice and the wife really likes it. I guess the real test will be how it holds up over 2 to 3 years. But for now it was easy to install, it is definitely waterproof and it looks great.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #5

Smile

This stuff seems to be the cats amen. We installed it in our rig about 18 months ago and so far it is flawless. We replaced the carpet with allure and the allure with smart core.
BoPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

Can they be scored with a knife and snapped or do you need a saw to cut them?...
Did you glue them down or do a floating?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Score and snap. no glue needed. this stuff is really easy to install. The only problem we had was the slide wanted to scare it so we just take an old piece of carpet and put under the offending places when moving the slide.
BoPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #8

I used a table saw. Table saw is needed for awkard cuts, especially in the bathroom, shower area.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #9

I ended up buying the CoreTec Plus Red River Hickory because of the thicker wear layer. The cork backing also makes the material sound like wood when tapped. The CoreTec transition pieces (T molding, stair nose, quarter round) are a little pricey, and they don't make some of the profiles you need to do the slides so I bought some hickory which is the hardest US hardwood and made the pieces for the slides (angle for the edge of the above floor slide and wide Tee piece specific for the edge of the flush floor slide). I also made the stair nosing out of hickory as the profile of the overhanging portion needed to be minimal so that the stairwell filler can drop into the stairwell. Miniwax Traditional Cherry stain makes for a very good color match to the Coretec. For the quarter round, I bought some at Home Depot to match the cherry cabinets. I haven't installed any flooring let but will post some pictures when I do.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #10

I have heard good things about the Coretex from a floor installer. I take it that it is a floating floor?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
interesting
Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #12

Where did you buy the CoreTec Plus?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #13

It is a floating floor. One thing that sold me on this product is the dimensional stability. Since the couch and dinette will sit on top and be bolted down, I didn't want something that needed to completely float to prevent warping.

I bought it from a local flooring supplier (101 flooring in Ventura, CA). I did find it a little cheaper online (I think it was efloors but can't remember for sure - whoever it was I had to call for a price) at $3.29/sf, but with shipping it was close to the same. Most places on inline were much higher ($4 to $5 range). Another local supplier wanted $5, so you really have to shop around.