Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #1

I have read posts on this site that say the smell from fresh water tanks can be eliminated by rinsing with a bleach solution or some other premixed solution in the tanks.

I hate to show my ignorance, but how do you get it into the tanks? My fresh water intake comes through a hose and I assume the water pressure from the source is what moves it into the tank. Will the water pump suck it in from a jug of water?

2003 Mountain Aire 3778 W-22
djohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #2

I have read posts on this site that say the smell from fresh water tanks can be eliminated by rinsing with a bleach solution or some other premixed solution in the tanks.

I hate to show my ignorance, but how do you get it into the tanks? My fresh water intake comes through a hose and I assume the water pressure from the source is what moves it into the tank. Will the water pump suck it in from a jug of water?

2003 Mountain Aire 3778 W-22
djohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Pour bleach into hose then attach to water source, turn water on and fill tank.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dick;

I sanitize my water tanks each Spring when I de-winterize my coach. I have done it 3 different ways on 3 different coaches. If your coach is like mine and you have a winterizing valve ahead of your water pump you could open your tank fill valve and use you water pump and draw the solution in that way. If you don't have a winterizing valve you could take a long water hose and empty all the water out of it. Fill the hose with your solution and hook up like you normally would to fill your tank. I have a small electric pump I purchased from a Fleet - Farm Supply store and pump it in that way.

Just be creative. Good luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My coach has a 4th way to add to Don's three ...above the batteries at the rear of the coach there is access to the top of the fresh water tank, and there is a large diameter screw cap on the tank. I have added chlorinating crystals via that cap when I sanitized my system. (I prefer Sodium Dichlor ...aka hot tub chlorinating crystals... to Chlorine bleach due to taste issues and the fact that a small bottle of the dry crystals are easier for a fulltimer to carry around than liquid bleach.)
Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #6

Want to destroy your water pump? add bleach. (clorine) it will dry up the gaskets. ask me how I know.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #7

You could put the bleach into a NEW garden hose sprayer such as normally used for fertilizer or weed killer. Connect a garden hose to each side. You need the type that has hose threads on both sides of the device. You can then turn on the water and allow the water to force the bleach downstream. CAUTION: these sprayers are not designed for high pressure differentials. DO NOT shut off any valve on the downstream side of the device as the pressure inside the container will immediately go up to the inlet side city water pressure and you will be sprayed with the bleach solution and the device either ruptures or the cap is blown off of the container.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Robert...
That's why they say to PREMIX some bleach and water before pumping it in. Straight bleach is pretty caustic, but if you dilute it about 1:4 it won't cause any problems going in.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Robert...
That's why they say to PREMIX some bleach and water before pumping it in. Straight bleach is pretty caustic, but if you dilute it about 1:4 it won't cause any problems going in.
I distroyed two water pumps with bleach before I realized that the bleach was causing my pump problems, I was dumping a quart of bleach in my tank, then filling it with water; turn on the pump to get it through the system, let it set a day or two then try to flush it out of the system, I would flush and flush but the stink from the clorine would stay in the system for months, I just decided that carring a two gallon igloo for cooking and drinking was the way to avoid this problem. baking soda i'm told will get rid of a smelly tank (I've never tried that).
Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
No wonder you damaged the water pump. That's way to much bleach.

Mix 1/4 cup of bleach to 15 gal of water (1.5 cups for the 90-gal tank). Fill water tank. Pump thru all hoses, faucets, via water pump. Let stand for a 3 or 4 hrs, then rinse. Drain and flush with potable water. Then mix 1/2 cup of baking soda to a 1 gal of water and pour mixture into tank, then re-fill, circulate thru all faucets, again via water pump.

The baking soda neutralizes the bleach, which also gets rid of the bleach odor.

I didn't make this up it, the information came in the owner's manual/s of the last three motorhomes I've had. I've been doing it this way at least once a year. I've never had a problem.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not really necessary to fill the tank with a heavy water/chlorine solution. The fumes from a proper water/chlorine mix will take care the rest of the tank if you let it sit. When we disinfect water towers, we don't have to use a million gallons of water/chlorine mix, just about 50,000 gallons of water (5% of the tank capacity) with 50 parts per million (ppm or mg/l) of available chlorine and let it sit for 6 hours, then without draining the tank, fill it (now at about 2 ppm chlorine), hold it for 24 hours and then go ahead and use. But you do want to run that heavily chlorinated water through all of your cold water pipes. You need not disinfect the hot water pipes with the chlorine mix as you can just run hot water through those. Run each faucet until you can smell the chlorine then shut it off and let it sit (this is before you fill the tank after 6 hours). After 24 hours, purge the heavy water/chlorine solution out of your faucets before using.

If the resulting lightly chlorinated water is too much for you, you can now drain the tank and fill it from a source known to be safe. The advantage is that you don't need to dump a tank of highly chlorinated water where it shouldn't go, such as a lake or stream or on your grass.

To use this method for a 75 gallon tank, empty it, then add 4 gallons of water mixed with 1 tablespoon (0.5 ounces or 15 cc) of bleach containing 5% available chlorine, then follow the procedure noted above. Note that one tablespoon per 4 gallons is the same strength as 1/4 cup in 16 gallons.

One last point: if you want to know if your water is safe, your local health department will test it for you, check with them first for sampling technique and bottles.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
The baking soda neutralizes the bleach, which also gets rid of the bleach odor.
Vinegar is good for neutralizing chlorine smell too.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #13

I knew baking soda was good but I didn't know vinegar was good; I just learned something.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #14

Here is what I do. I simply flush the system with fresh city water that is of course chlorinated. It is safe for your system and it works. It is also the easiest procedure. A couple of times I have had the smelly water heater problem and it takes many gallons to get rid of that but fresh city water always did the trick.

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote