Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
You don't need to put ANYTHING into the black tank except WATER, WATER, AND THEN MORE WATER!

Another place for odors can be from the overflow tube if your toilet has one. Most often, if it is the toilet, it is the seals or the roof vents. We put a cyclone rotating on both tank vents - really helps. And the w/d is the area where we had to work to find that the discharge pipe wasn't tight in the pipe down to the tank. Sealed and now all is fine.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #16

I has occasional odor while traveling, I installed 2 of these one in each tank vent and the problem is GONE

Products | Drain Master

There is an installation write up on this forum Here

Installing the 360 RV Universal Holding Tank Roof Vent Siphon Cap | iRV2 Forum

These are Now Standard equipment on many of the new Higher end Motorhomes.

Ted.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Leaving tank valves open when stored may allow the seals to leak later. look under the sinks for a black cap on top of a stub of pipe. It contains a vacuum-breaker valve which goes bad and allows air to enter the RV instead of exit only as designed. The purpose of this valve is to prevent water from being sucked out of 'P' traps when draining a sink-full of water.
Why spend money needlessly? All I use is plain water in holding tanks, plenty of it-every time.
Ray,IN
A "vacuum breaker" is a device like these: safety.cat.com/cda/files/572649/7/3126B
"Vacuum breakers" are used in fresh water systems to prevent the contamination of the water supply.

You must mean "air admittance valve" or "mechanical plumbing vent" like these: https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...+vent&tbm=shop
They are used if/when/where real "through the roof" tank vents are difficult to incorporate/plumb into sink and/or tub/shower drain systems...(and, IMO, many times to simply save a buck).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #18

You may want to try Treatzall holding tank treatment
Available from Dupree Products
cape0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #19

I had a similar problem with holding tank odors. I installed a "Cyclone" holding tank roof vent and it worked wonders. The vent cost 19 bucks and it is worth the investment for sure.
IndianaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
You don't need to put ANYTHING into the black tank except WATER, WATER, AND THEN MORE WATER!
This is great advice if you are at a site with full hookups where dumping the tanks every couple days is painless. But if you prefer what the river/lake/out of the way sites have to offer or are dry camping, water conservation is the key to enjoying your time and maximizing your waste tank's capacity.

Assuming there is not some mechanical problem leading to your odour issues as many have commented on...I practice the GEO method (well...sort of...I use Dawn and TSP powder and it works great for me) but for the odd time that my tanks get a little stinky, I have used these with success...

TST Orange Power Drop Ins, 15-pack - Camco 41189 - Sewer Deodorizers & Treatment - Camping World
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #21

I've often wondered how any "gadget" on the end of a tank vent pipe can have any affect on the odor in the tank.

If they are SUCKING the smell out, (as claimed), WHERE is the "makeup air" coming IN?
There are no "air inlets" in either holding tank.
Think about it, NO air in = NO stink out!
(Try sucking the air out of a soda bottle without allowing air in and you will see what I mean).

Vent pipes in waste water "drian systems", (RVs and/or houses), are there to let air in when sinks, tubs, showers, etc. drain.

IMO those gadgets do suck, (but only money out of wallets).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Most of my holding tank experience comes from our houseboat. Black tank, anyway. Which is 100 gallons, and I have to pump it out myself. BECAUSE I have to pump it out myself, I wait until there's at least 50-60 gallons in thing, to get as much done in one chore as possible. As such, I only pump out the tank every 4 to 6 weeks.

I started using the TST orange stuff from Walmart 5 years ago. I put an ounce or so in when we show up on friday or saturday, another ounce or so when we leave. And for what it's worth, our tank vent is on the side of the hull, just about 6" above ground level. If our tank was stinky it would be all to obvious, but even going 6 weeks between pumpouts, nary an odor ever comes out of that vent.

Just adding the TST is all we do. We don't add extra water or anything else. We don't do anything different than we do at home. And one more thing, we don't have the luxury of "gravity" dumping. It all gets sucked up-hill, and since every ounce of rinse water I would add is just another ounce I have to pump back out, I don't do much rinsing. All I do is back flush a couple gallons of lake water down the waste exit and then I'm done.

I don't sell TST, I just know it's worked for us for several years.

Now, as for GRAY tank smells-- bleach. Half fill the tank, add 1 quart or so, fill the tank, let it work for 1/2 hour, get it out.

I've also been dealing with rotten-egg smelling water heaters, in our boat AND the Allegro. Not sure why exactly, but it smells the whole place up! Bleach fixes that problem too. I just make a bleach solution and pump it into the system- NOT THE WATER TANK!- the same way I antifreeze, only I make sure the water heater gets a good dose. Get it in, let it work, get it out. We did the Allegro after we bought it, 3 years ago. Smell hasn't returned. Just did the houseboat 2 weeks ago.

Love the smell of no smell!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
I've often wondered how any "gadget" on the end of a tank vent pipe can have any affect on the odor in the tank.

If they are SUCKING the smell out, (as claimed), WHERE is the "makeup air" coming IN?
(Try sucking the air out of a soda bottle without allowing air in and you will see what I mean).

Vent pipes in waste water "drian systems", (RVs and/or houses), are there to let air in when sinks, tubs, showers, etc. drain.

Mel
'96 Safari
That's the purpose of the vents people are talking about. They allow air into the tanks but not out; if they are working properly. Check the vents and then add the cyclone to the outside vent. It works!
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use this.

Lil' Stanker™ In-Line Deodorizer Fans

It maintains a negative pressure on your black tank 24/7. Mine used to stink when I flushed. The odor would fill the bathroom everytime I flushed. It was like my vent was clogged or too small for the volume going in.

Now with the lil stanker, no odors and I don't use chemicals.

I do rinse my black tank every 3-6 dumps. I use a "No Fuss Flush" to rinse my tank. It has no moving parts to break. I tested it before installing, it produces a good spray pattern.

New No Fuss Flush Rinse Clean Your RV Trailer Holding Tank Effortlessly | eBay
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I use this.

Lil' Stanker™ In-Line Deodorizer Fans

It maintains a negative pressure on your black tank 24/7. Mine used to stink when I flushed. The odor would fill the bathroom everytime I flushed. It was like my vent was clogged or too small for the volume going in.
mgscott4
Correct.
The "Lil' Stanker", (because it is a powered fan), causes clean coach air to be drawn down into the black tank through the toilet while it is being flush (aka: while the flush valve is open to the sewage in the tank).

In a previous post I said: NO air in = NO stink out!
I should have added the following:
HOWEVER, if a "Lil' Stanker", or another type of power vent fan, is used to draw air IN through the toilet while the toilet is being flushed.... that fan will also be blowing stinky air OUT through the roof top sewer vent pipe while the toilet is being flushed.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Treat it with the Happy Camper Extreme treatment first, then use the regular Happy Camper treatment on a regular basis. You problems will be solved! They give you a money-back guarantee! You won't be sorry!

Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
X-2 on happy camper!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #27

These are supposed to be the best on the market right now.

360 Siphon https://360productsnorthamerica.com/site/

I can tell you if you flush while driving and the wind is right you can fill the coach with bad odors. Also I have had grey water smell as bad as the black in really hot weather.

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

Mel
'96 Safari
Hmmmm Mel... no familiar with indoor plumbing? Why do toilets have vent stacks?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, tank