Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #43

A friend gave us a recipe she has used for years in order to rid the dreaded black tank smell. We have been on a 3 month trip and have used this religiously the entire trip. It works for us, hopefully for you too.

1 cup ammonia
1 cup pinesol
1/4 cup Dawn dish washing detergent
saratoga60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another fan of the 360 RV Siphon vent. They really do eliminate doors in the coach even though they "violate the laws of physics". They are far more economical than adding chemicals or organic whatever to the tank and will have a very short payback period if you are an additive lover. Check the feedback from those that have installed them - I have used them for 6 years and am extremely please. The only time we have the slightest hint of odour is when the toilet is flushed and the fantastic fan located in the ceiling above is running on high.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
The biggest problem we see is caused by the vent fan in the bathroom ceiling. If we go to flush the commode and have the fan on then the fan has a tendency to pull the gases out of the black tank. We either make sure to shut the fan off before flushing or to open the bathroom window a bit so that we do not have a negative pressure above the commode when we flush. We also use Break Away treatment in the tanks. My wife likes that the best of the brands we have tried.

Gemini5362 is on the right track. If you have anything creating negative pressure in your coach (bathroom fan, kitchen vent, fantastic fans in ceiling blowing OUT, etc) when you flush, the smelly air in your holding tank will be sucked into your coach.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga60 View Post
A friend gave us a recipe she has used for years in order to rid the dreaded black tank smell. We have been on a 3 month trip and have used this religiously the entire trip. It works for us, hopefully for you too.

1 cup ammonia
1 cup pinesol
1/4 cup Dawn dish washing detergent
Just want to point out that you should never ever combine ammonia with chlorine bleach. So if anyone is inclined to modify the above recipe, just don't use bleach and ammonia together.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #47

Quote:
The biggest problem we see is caused by the vent fan in the bathroom ceiling. If we go to flush the commode and have the fan on then the fan has a tendency to pull the gases out of the black tank. We either make sure to shut the fan off before flushing or to open the bathroom window a bit so that we do not have a negative pressure above the commode when we flush. .
X2.
I would only add that ANY vent fan on when the toilet is flushed can/will
pull the gases out of the black tank.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Just got back from spending a week in our Allegro, and an email about this thread was waiting for me...

The one thing I don't like about our motorhome is the Sealand china toilet. And if the OP has one of these toilets, the smell he can't get rid of may be the toilet itself--

2 years ago I had to tear ours out to replace the seal, which gave me a good look the thing-- these things come with a sprayer and they NEED it because they're so terrible at "flushing", if you can call it that. But here's the thing- unlike the plastic Thetford we have in our houseboat that just dumps straight into the pipe and actually has enough water following to rinse decently, these Sealands have a sort of dead-space under the ball seal around the actual dump outlet. Think of a bucket with a 4" hole, and dumping stuff into the bucket-- most is going to go out the hole, but some is going to stay behind around the bottom of the bucket-- That's the way these toilets are! If you fill the toilet and dump clean water down about 3 times after the main flush, you're probably okay, but if not, whatever hangs around starts to stink...

Figured that out on our vacation, and as long as we used a ton of water to rinse, no smells...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #49

Quote:
The biggest problem we see is caused by the vent fan in the bathroom ceiling. If we go to flush the commode and have the fan on then the fan has a tendency to pull the gases out of the black tank. We either make sure to shut the fan off before flushing or to open the bathroom window a bit so that we do not have a negative pressure above the commode when we flush. We also use Break Away treatment in the tanks. My wife likes that the best of the brands we have tried.
This is the best answer. I had a smell problem, opened the window when running the fan and smell went away.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Just want to point out that you should never ever combine ammonia with chlorine bleach. So if anyone is inclined to modify the above recipe, just don't use bleach and ammonia together.
When I was a kid I worked as a dishwasher at a truck stop. We used to bleach coffee cups so I got the bright idea of taking an ammonia based cleaner and dumping it into the bleach to scrub with. Shut down the kitchen in the restraunt for a short period of time. Guy working with me had to go home. Luckily for me the manager liked me and did not fire me. I can tell you from experience Ramblin is 100 per cent correct about not mixing the two.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #51

The ZEP Septi-Tabs 0.23 oz. Septic System Treatment helps you break down paper, grease, proteins and starches. Each tab has 100 billion bacteria and treats septic tanks up to 1,500 gallons.
  • Helps you break down paper, grease, proteins and starches
  • Prevents septic waste backup
  • For monthly use; this 4-tab package is a 4-month supply
  • Each tab has 100 billion bacteria and treats septic tanks up to 1,500 gallons
  • Drop tab in, watch it fizz and flush it down the toilet
  • MFG Model # : ZUSEPT4
  • MFG Part # : ZUSEPT4
ZEP 0.23 oz. Septi-Tabs Septic System Treatment-ZUSEPT4 at The Home Depot
motor Home D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor Home D View Post
The ZEP Septi-Tabs 0.23 oz. Septic System Treatment helps you break down paper, grease, proteins and starches. Each tab has 100 billion bacteria and treats septic tanks up to 1,500 gallons.
  • Helps you break down paper, grease, proteins and starches
  • Prevents septic waste backup
  • For monthly use; this 4-tab package is a 4-month supply
  • Each tab has 100 billion bacteria and treats septic tanks up to 1,500 gallons
  • Drop tab in, watch it fizz and flush it down the toilet
  • MFG Model # : ZUSEPT4
  • MFG Part # : ZUSEPT4
ZEP 0.23 oz. Septi-Tabs Septic System Treatment-ZUSEPT4 at The Home Depot

The question I have about these sort of treatments is that RVs do not have septic tanks, per-se, they are holding tanks.

These are once-a-month tabs, for instance. I have never allowed my black tank to ferment for a month. I dump far more frequently than that. So I question the ability of the bacteria to have any significant positive impact because there simply isn't enough time for them to do their work. Am I off base?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have read posts in the past that stated pine-sol eats valve seals.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
Have read posts in the past that stated pine-sol eats valve seals.
I've heard about bleach doing this but I used Pinesol for several years with no problems.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #55

Smile This Product Helps restore your Tank Volume to like new

I'm a Union Plumber, and have worked around All types of Plumbing systems, You are right, Holding tanks are not Septic Tanks, Your RV Water closet is a low water consumption Toilet, which means, Solids form on the bottom of the tank, on the tank walls, Filling tank with water, Flushing Black tank with black tank flush, does not remove all the residue, I have found that ZEP Septi Tabs, when placed in your Black tank, The commercial strength formula contains a blend of enzyme-producing bacteria that replenish the bacteria destroyed by harsh chemicals. The formula breaks down fats, oils, greases and household wastes. And when used for a week, Cleans, removes odors from tank, Tank has more volume, no need to dump tank as often, 40 Gallon tank is 40 gallons of waste instead of ten Pounds of sludge, and 5 Gallons of liquid.
It is alright if you like to use overpriced RV Chemicals, which don’t work well, just a waste of money. ZEP Septi Tabs Also assist the RV park drain lines, that your RV Connects to, Helps remove build-up in the pipes that are not installed ¼” inch per foot to drain properly, and is beneficial to the septic system. It is a Septic system and cesspool cleaner Strong Powder formula breaks down greases, oils and organic materials lodged in your septic system, Protects pipes against corrosion.
Have a nice Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
The question I have about these sort of treatments is that RVs do not have septic tanks, per-se, they are holding tanks.

These are once-a-month tabs, for instance. I have never allowed my black tank to ferment for a month. I dump far more frequently than that. So I question the ability of the bacteria to have any significant positive impact because there simply isn't enough time for them to do their work. Am I off base?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #56

Smile I'm a Union Plumber, and have worked around All types of Plumbing systems,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj32 View Post
I have tried about everything to stop the smell from the holding tanks until now.
I tried Calgon water softener, liquid laundry soap and a gallon of hot water, dump it down the stool seems to help some,
Any one have any better ideas?
I'm a Union Plumber, and have worked around All types of Plumbing systems, You are right, Holding tanks are not Septic Tanks, Your RV Water closet is a low water consumption Toilet, which means, Solids form on the bottom of the tank, on the tank walls, Filling tank with water, Flushing Black tank with black tank flush, does not remove all the residue, I have found that ZEP Septi Tabs, when placed in your Black tank, The commercial strength formula contains a blend of enzyme-producing bacteria that replenish the bacteria destroyed by harsh chemicals. The formula breaks down fats, oils, greases and household wastes. And when used for a week, Cleans, removes odors from tank, Tank has more volume, no need to dump tank as often, 40 Gallon tank is 40 gallons of waste instead of ten Pounds of sludge, and 5 Gallons of liquid.
It is alright if you like to use overpriced RV Chemicals, which don’t work well, just a waste of money. ZEP Septi Tabs Also assist the RV park drain lines, that your RV Connects to, Helps remove build-up in the pipes that are not installed ¼” inch per foot to drain properly, and is beneficial to the septic system. It is a Septic system and cesspool cleaner Strong Powder formula breaks down greases, oils and organic materials lodged in your septic system, Protects pipes against corrosion.
Have a nice Day!

Tags
smell, tank