Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #71

Bleach will attack gray pb hose and fittings on pre 92 or so models.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Bleach will attack gray pb hose and fittings on pre 92 or so models.
Yes, I believe this was the plumbing covered by the Spencer Class Action lawsuit.

You're living on borrowed time with PB plumbing as I think it can be damaged by just the chlorine gas used by city water systems.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #73

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
How many of these gaskets would be affected by dumping bleach in your toilet? or by dumping bleach down a sink or shower drain? None.

However, the gaskets you failed to mention are the gate valves used to empty the holding tanks:

Gate valve gaskets should be the most likely to be damaged by bleach because they're in constant direct contact with the liquid in the holding tanks.

However, the gaskets used in these valves are probably made of Santoprene which is not affected by bleach.

Finally, the plumbing lines in an RV are PEX or ABS, neither of which are affected by bleach. Holding tanks are polyethylene or ABS, neither of which are affected by bleach.

So feel free to use bleach in your holding tanks. BTW, it's also recommended to use bleach to disinfect your fresh water tanks.
X2
The use of vinegar as a disinfectant in a water system is not a proven science. It can be used for light cleaning in the kitchen or bathroom in place of bleach. The amount of diluted bleach in the drinking water system for sanitizing or holding tank cleaning will not harm any seals, valves, or plumbing fixtures.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #74

Smell from holding tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
How many of these gaskets would be affected by dumping bleach in your toilet? or by dumping bleach down a sink or shower drain? None.

However, the gaskets you failed to mention are the gate valves used to empty the holding tanks:

Gate valve gaskets should be the most likely to be damaged by bleach because they're in constant direct contact with the liquid in the holding tanks.

However, the gaskets used in these valves are probably made of Santoprene which is not affected by bleach.

Finally, the plumbing lines in an RV are PEX or ABS, neither of which are affected by bleach. Holding tanks are polyethylene or ABS, neither of which are affected by bleach.

So feel free to use bleach in your holding tanks. BTW, it's also recommended to use bleach to disinfect your fresh water tanks.
Actually the flange seal (floor seal) on your toilet could be a effected.
Yes of course. I had to replace both gate valves with new ones on my RV this summer. I put new valtera valves on the black and grey water outlets. It was a ____. Not a job I want to do again anytime soon. And believe me, you wouldn't find it any fun either. My sewage system works flawlessly now. But That experience was worse than having a job in sanitation. LOL

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #75

Now you know why the Plumbers get the big bucks... ;-)

Bleach in the water system to disinfect in not a huge load or one that is there long enough to cause a lot of problems. Neither baking soda nor vinegar will disinfect. They will help out at cleaning the old anti freeze out or the disinfection solution. So will plain drinking water and it is a lot cheaper and as effective. Some people just cannot stand the cheap fix. Soap and water go a long way with most plumbing problems. Especially if one can soak things for a while then rinse and repeat.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Now you know why the Plumbers get the big bucks... ;-)

Bleach in the water system to disinfect in not a huge load or one that is there long enough to cause a lot of problems. Neither baking soda nor vinegar will disinfect. They will help out at cleaning the old anti freeze out or the disinfection solution. So will plain drinking water and it is a lot cheaper and as effective. Some people just cannot stand the cheap fix. Soap and water go a long way with most plumbing problems. Especially if one can soak things for a while then rinse and repeat.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #77

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Actually the flange seal (floor seal) on your toilet could be a effected.
Yes of course. I had to replace both gate valves with new ones on my RV this summer. I put new valtera valves on the black and grey water outlets. It was a ____. Not a job I want to do again anytime soon. And believe me, you wouldn't find it any fun either. My sewage system works flawlessly now. But That experience was worse than having a job in sanitation. LOL

Only if you soak it with full strength bleach.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #78

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Why in the world would u sanitize and disinfect your black tank? The first time you use it...well its contaminated! Bactetia is your friend in the black tank. Lots of water and dump when 3/4 full and then flush with fresh water. Always keep the black tank closed. I use very little chemical only to control odor in hot weather.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #79

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Why in the world would u sanitize and disinfect your black tank? The first time you use it...well its contaminated! Bactetia is your friend in the black tank. Lots of water and dump when 3/4 full and then flush with fresh water. Always keep the black tank closed. I use very little chemical only to control odor in hot weather.
This is why. The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance
I haven't used RV chemicals for years. Never any odor from tanks and my level probes alway read correct. We also use the same toilet paper we use in the S&B never had a blockage. The key as already posted is plenty of water when you flush. I also use the tank flusher every time I dump and run it till drain runs clear.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #80

Quote:
Why in the world would u sanitize and disinfect your black tank? The first time you use it...well its contaminated! Bactetia is your friend in the black tank. Lots of water and dump when 3/4 full and then flush with fresh water.
The OP was asking about odor control, and bleach fits the bill -- it's cheap and readily available.

"Lots and lots of water" is not always an option. Think boon dockers or someone w/o a sewer hookup.

Quote:
I use very little chemical only to control odor in hot weather.
Same here. It's just that my (and others) odor controller of choice is bleach.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #81

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
This is why. The Geo Method / Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance
I haven't used RV chemicals for years. Never any odor from tanks and my level probes alway read correct. We also use the same toilet paper we use in the S&B never had a blockage. The key as already posted is plenty of water when you flush. I also use the tank flusher every time I dump and run it till drain runs clear.
I have used every method I could find to clean my black tanks and get the sensors working correctly. I camped at 4000 feet when i went to yosemite. The highway going up has one mountain that is a few miles of literally back and forth switchbacks just continuous curves. When i started down from the campground I put some water and 50 pounds of ice. NO fix lasted longer than a few days as far as the sensors went. I got tired of that and replaced them with SeeLevel II sensors. They have for the last two years and although we are not full timers we spend months at a time in our RV.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #82

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
If I can make a suggestion. If you are going to be taking it to dump station anytime in the soon future like I said. Stop by Walmart and get a bottle of the Camco toilet treatment I suggested in my earlier post. The orange bottle. Fill both holding tanks to 3/4 fill with water if obtainable. since you are dry camping this might require you to empty your fresh water for a night. Pour about 5 ounces of toilet treatment down both tanks and let the RV sit for 24 hours. Then take the RV to a dump station and flush about 120 gallons of water through both tanks. I mean really flush those tanks out. Then make sure you give the system a through flush every time your done using the RV. And as with all RViers, DON'T forget your toilet chemicals. It is an absolute necessity in the RV world to keep your Motorhome's sewer system working right. Flushing your system out really good will have it's rewards in the long run. the problem is it's a bummer because it means making a trip to the dump station about once a week. Don't know if this is of any help but it's the only sure fired suggestion I can offer that will eliminate your odor problem. Good Luck

Since we live in our RV permanently not possible as we are stationery also again as I said we CAN'T GET THAT HERE.!!!! And I DON'T USE CHEMICALS!!! please read before replying instead of ignoring what I said...
I don't have odors....
Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #83

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bottom line...black tanks do and will have odors as well as gray water tanks. If your smelling it to often in your rv you have a different problem. Blocked vent, crack at the top part of the tank, bad AAV or anti siphon valve, running exhaust fans while flushing or with a bad AAV will also bring odors in.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #84

Smell from holding tanks

Seriously. Instead of messing with homemade remedies that might work or don't work I use toilet chemicals in both tanks. It's the only thing I have found that completely keeps waste odors at bay. Even when I had a broken toilet blade seal. I have also been amazed at how clean my system is Everytime I drain tanks and hit the road. And I've never had a problem with my sensors either. Toilet chemicals are actually live bacteria that eat up the sewage in your tanks and contain sensor lubricants, so it's not really a chemical at all. It breaks all the waste down to a liquid state. Since it's septic safe, it sure won't harm RV tanks. Just my opinion but some choose the hard fix and some choose to keep it simple. I do have to agree with cheif02 on one thing. Climb the latter to your roof and check your sewer vents regularly. They should be clean and clear of obstructions at all times. I have never had an odor issue in many years of RVing. I'll stick with my toilet chemicals for just $5 bucks there's no telling how much grief it has saved me. Scientists invented this stuff so you'd think it would work for the purpose intended. So if I were pledged with holding tanks odors , this is what I would do. Good Luck 
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411417296.368544.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  77.7 KB

Tags
smell, tank