Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #1

Smell from holding tanks

I have tried about everything to stop the smell from the holding tanks until now.
I tried Calgon water softener, liquid laundry soap and a gallon of hot water, dump it down the stool seems to help some,
Any one have any better ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

IMHO, you're very close to a method that's been used by many with great success.

Use our search feature and look for "Geo Method".

We don't use it religiously but occasionally. Our regular process is to not dump the black tank until it is > half full and then add a bit of dishwashing liquid and use the black tank flush to fill the tank about half way with fresh water before dumping again.

Final step is to add more dishwashing liquid and about 10 gallons of water.

The key ingredient for us is water, water, and more water.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj32 View Post
I have tried about everything to stop the smell from the holding tanks until now.
I tried Calgon water softener, liquid laundry soap and a gallon of hot water, dump it down the stool seems to help some,
Any one have any better ideas?
Most/(all?) odor problems are caused by bad seals and traps and/or running fans which create a low pressure in the cabin sucking tank odor into the living space.
A properly sealed plumbing system and properly operated vents/fans will not allow odors into the living space, (no matter how smelly the contents of the tanks).

BTW, I've used 2 oz of liquid Rid-X, (and ONLY Rid-X), in both tanks for over 10 years.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Be sure water is in the drain traps for shower, sinks, and washer/dryer. W/D is commonly overlooked. All can dry out in hot weather with no use and smell like the black tank.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

Hmmm. Check for leaks???
Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Be sure water is in the drain traps for shower, sinks, and washer/dryer. W/D is commonly overlooked. All can dry out in hot weather with no use and smell like the black tank.

I had this problem after letting an RV sit in storage for a while. It was horrible.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

when black tank is about 1/3 to half full, add a cup of dishwasher detergent and a bag of ice cube through toilet. drive it out for half an hour then dump it just like how you normally do. (for best result, before you departure for a camping, add those. when get to camping site, dump it).
Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #8

A lot of RVier's forget to add toilet chemicals after each flush. Many of today's RV toilet chemicals have tank detergent which will eliminate tank odors. Also if the RV is going to sit for a long time without being used. Drain your tanks and leave the drain valves open. The tanks need to be aired out when not being used.

QUOTE=bj32;1679957]I have tried about everything to stop the smell from the holding tanks until now.
Any one have any better ideas?[/QUOTE]
Old 08-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Treat it with the Happy Camper Extreme treatment first, then use the regular Happy Camper treatment on a regular basis. You problems will be solved! They give you a money-back guarantee! You won't be sorry!

Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Leaving tank valves open when stored may allow the seals to leak later. look under the sinks for a black cap on top of a stub of pipe. It contains a vacuum-breaker valve which goes bad and allows air to enter the RV instead of exit only as designed. The purpose of this valve is to prevent water from being sucked out of 'P' traps when draining a sink-full of water.
Why spend money needlessly? All I use is plain water in holding tanks, plenty of it-every time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
what condition are your roof vents in ?
If they look like this... they are worthless
Old 08-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
what condition are your roof vents in ?
If they look like this... they are worthless
Why are those worthless ? They have been put and used by millions of RV's for years !
Old 08-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #13

I did not know of the Vac Breaker Valve. Have to look for that dude. Going to change my one and only roof vent from the type pictured in this post by WeatherTodd to a Cyclone Sewer Vent (Sold at Camping World and other RV Retailers). Sometimes I get odor from the toilet and sometimes I don't. I use lots of water, clean it out once a month with the Calgon Water Softener / Dawn / Gals of hot water, dump when its 50% full, flush with lots of water. Use chem's after dumping. I am hoping the Cyclone Sewer Vent helps eliminate all the odor.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

Where exactly are you getting the smell? I chased down a grey tank odor. Changed the cheater valves, cleaned the tank and still smelled in the bathroom sink and under the kitchen sink. I pulled the drain stopper in the bathroom sink and pulled all kinds of smelly gunk out of the drain. For the kitchen, I used a 1/2 cup of salt and a 1/2 cup of baking soda and followed it with a pot of boiling water. Smell is gone and sink drains fast.

JJ

Tags
smell, tank