Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #15

Seems this subject comes up every couple of weeks. Its been answered numerous times by numerous people. Buy the Cyclone sewer vent at Camping world for $20.00. Take 10 min to install and no more smells, moving or sitting.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ooooops, yep, should have said AAV (Air Admittance Valves) not anti-siphoning valves. My brain was not engaged.
These AAVs allow the additional air needed when draining your grey water systems. Sometimes adding an additional roof vent at every grey water drain location is impractical or very hard to plumb into an RV, so they use an AAV for the additional air needed at remote drain locations. Also, if you hear a "Plop-Plop" sound from the closest one of them when flushing the toilet on a single (Shared) roof vent, they are working. Just hope they seal good or you can get BAD grey tank odor.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
We get that also., I've been told to get a rv vent cap, like this :
Cyclone Sewer Vent - Camco 40595 - Vents - Camping World
rlott2k
I know that some owners swear by vacuum/sucking vent caps, of one type or another......(buying and installing a "magic vent cap" is easier than finding and fixing the odor problem).

However, I question where the make-up air comes from?
IMO, a vent cap can't possibly pull any bad air out of a tank if there is nowhere for fresh air to get into the tank......(have you ever tried sucking the air out of a soda bottle)?

There of a lot of RV gimmicks and gadgets that simply make RV owners feel better.
I admit that those vent caps definitely do suck......$$ out of your wallet!

Mel
'96 Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
The air for the tanks is supplied through the AAV when you use one of the fancy roof top vents. I have the 360 https://360productsnorthamerica.com/site/ I installed on my roof and the oder went away immediately. Before the install I had an oder all the time when underway and intermittently when parked. I replaced all of the AAV units and that helped some what, just not all the tome and still not when driving. I went with the 360 vent because it has no moving parts. No moving parts means nothing to wear out making it almost a life time product. Good luck, I know the feeling and smell you are going through.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
The air for the tanks is supplied through the AAV when you use one of the fancy roof top vents.
. That is exactly right, and I've not seen a soda bottle with a vacuum breaker valve! And yes, both my black tank and grey tank have vacuum breaker valves in the system that allow air flow inward, but not outward. I have the mostly metal Xtreme Vent on my single roof waste tank vent.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
. That is exactly right, and I've not seen a soda bottle with a vacuum breaker valve! And yes, both my black tank and grey tank have vacuum breaker valves in the system that allow air flow inward, but not outward. I have the mostly metal Xtreme Vent on my single roof waste tank vent.
AFChap
I doubt that you've seen a vacuum breaker in a RV sewer drain system either, (since they are not used in RV drain/tank systems).
Vacuum breakers look like this: https://www.google.com/#q=vacuum+breaker,
Some coaches do have vacuum breakers in the fresh water lines and/or the black tank flush water supply.

You must mean mechanical vents, aka: air admittance valves which look like this: Google Image Result for http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/046224/046224005070lg.jpg

My Safari, as built by SMC in 1996, has no a mechanical vents, (all drains are plumbed into the tank vent, which exit the roof).
The only way to let make-up air into my grey or black tanks would be down through the p-traps.

BTW, my coach has no vacuum breaker(s) either.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara 3530
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell