Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
smog a gasser in calif

First time i have ever smogged a 36 ft gasser, what do they do you , cant put it up on the wheels to test, is it just a look and stick a tester in the tail pipe, and in calif does anyone know the cost, thanks steve
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #2

I take it you are new to the state (less than 2 years or so?). Probably no more than a visual inspection and a tailpipe sniff. You can't pass with any codes set (a good reason to buy a cheap reader and clear all codes). Sometimes it helps to change the oil first, but if the engine is in good shape it should pass with flying colors (it only has to pass to the specs it was built to - if it was a 48 state engine, it only has to pass the fed specs, not the cali specs).

Back in 03 a lot of heavy-duty applications were still exempt from testing, but since I don't own one I don't pay attention to it.

After more than 100K mi, my 8.1 puts out less than 10% of allowable emissions.

Cost - around here it's usually $49 or so.

If you've messed with it it could get expensive......
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #3

Here in AZ they made me run my 1999 38' gasser on the dyno wheels, I think they were just too lazy to crawl in and plug in the OBDII plug.
But yes, you can run them on the dyno wheels.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Steve,
The actual type of test, in Calif. is determined somtime, by your home location. Some counties require more technical tests than other. I have a 04 Workhorse, in El Dorado County, here they hook up the computer, put the sniffer in the tailpipe and run the test. Cost as I recall was about $75 bucks. I went to my local mech, rather than a Workhorse service center. Good Luck!

LEMO
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

Here in Lodi I did my old 30' v-10...sniffer and visual $100. (1 month ago)
Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I only take my cars and RV to a CA test only station. Test and repair centers can unjustly cause a failed smog and charge extra for un-needed repairs. I just don't trust smog repair shops.
Test only means they are not allowed to perform any repairs, just smog checks.

The place I use charges $68.00

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Was going to take the RV where I take my other vehicles to but its a small shop in the back but motorhome is too big to get it to his shop. So I'm off hunting for a new place. Thanks for your help
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

We have a Smog-Check-Only store down the street. They have drive through bays that will handle a 45ft RV without a problem. I would bet that there are a few similar places in the Sacramento area. The test involved plugging a terminal into the engine sensor under the dash, a visual inspection, and the tail pipe thing. No dynonometer. Really not my specialty, but the entire process took about 15 minutes and I was out the door (driveway).
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I moved to arkansas after 37 years in CA. , 7 years ago. Now I'm 4 days closer to the east coast.AND NO SMOG CHECKS EVER!!!!
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srzak View Post
Was going to take the RV where I take my other vehicles to but its a small shop in the back but motorhome is too big to get it to his shop. So I'm off hunting for a new place. Thanks for your help
If you can't find a place that takes RVs you might try calling Camping World there in Vacaville. I live north west of you (Sonoma County) and found a place that only does the test. The RV was hooked up along the side of his building to the computer through the driver side window and the tail pipe. It cost about $90.

Good luck finding a place. And Happy Camping!
love to fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #11

Just remember to drive around a while to get the engine and muffler warmed up to operational temp before taking it in for the test.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tip
Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #13

google smogngo in your area, the charge just about 100.00 I have used them before 18 months or so ago. As long as you are stock you should not have any issues.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #14

I don't have a motor home but if you have a dog house they will have to remove for inspection. I have a chevy astro van and they will charge extra if you don't remove it yourself,also make sure you have not disconnected the battey resently. I did on my dually to clean the battery post and when I took it in it passed the sniff part but the computer did not have enough info in it and it failed so I had to put an extra 300 miles on it before it would pass,so it cost me an extra 75.00 for gas to get it to pass. How I love Calif. 333.00 for tag,60.00 for smog,75.00 for gas, only 468.00 to get a little sticker for my license plate and thats for a pickup truck.
jeffreyj is offline   Reply With Quote