Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #1

smog pump

i have 88 chevy escaper hes a 2 smog pumps on it i want ro remove them wat do i do all that
petesaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesaire View Post
i have 88 chevy escaper hes a 2 smog pumps on it i want ro remove them wat do i do all that
Leave them alone, They don't suckup much power and the next owner will appreciate not needing to dig them up for the smog test.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #3

As Jim said, they're necessary for the smog tests (if you're in an area that has them, or might try to sell the rig into such an area).

My '85 Ford 460 also had two smog pumps and all the related junk. I took them off and stashed them away in the attic. My local auto parts store had steel plugs specifically to plug the holes in the manifolds. I also disabled the exhaust gas recirculation valve and plugged off any dangling vacuum lines.

The changes had a mildly benficial effect on drivability, but gas mileage didn't improve. My next step would have been to find a pre-smog (like 80 or earlier) caburator. I had heard from a friend at Ford that the mid 80's and later engines were deliberately jetted rich to give the afterburners enough unburned fuel to work with. I understood that GM did similar things with their big engines. These were the chewing gum and bailing wire attampts to avoid the cost of going to electronic engine management.

We decided that we hated the floorplan so much after a season and a half that we unloaded it through a consignment dealer, so I never tried the replacement carb. I left all the smog gear in a box in a cargo bay. Never heard from the buyer.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
As Jim said, they're necessary for the smog tests (if you're in an area that has them, or might try to sell the rig into such an area).

My '85 Ford 460 also had two smog pumps and all the related junk. I took them off and stashed them away in the attic. My local auto parts store had steel plugs specifically to plug the holes in the manifolds. I also disabled the exhaust gas recirculation valve and plugged off any dangling vacuum lines.

The changes had a mildly benficial effect on drivability, but gas mileage didn't improve. My next step would have been to find a pre-smog (like 80 or earlier) caburator. I had heard from a friend at Ford that the mid 80's and later engines were deliberately jetted rich to give the afterburners enough unburned fuel to work with. I understood that GM did similar things with their big engines. These were the chewing gum and bailing wire attampts to avoid the cost of going to electronic engine management.

We decided that we hated the floorplan so much after a season and a half that we unloaded it through a consignment dealer, so I never tried the replacement carb. I left all the smog gear in a box in a cargo bay. Never heard from the buyer.
thanks ill plug those holes too .i have 2 smog pumps and one was not working so now the other one broke too so ill have to do the same all the way around good helps thaks pete herer
petesaire is offline   Reply With Quote