Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Again, nothing will get the smell of it out of the AC system unless you want to pay - alot - to have the engine and all those systems treated. Then and only maybe you get it out completely. It's easy to get it out of everything but the AC system. Nothing like driving down the road and haven't smelled smoke in weeks and then you turn on the air and BAM hit with the smell again.

Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #16

Even if you were able to get the smell out completely - which would be VERY difficult - it isn't just the smell that cigarette smoke leaves behind. It yellows and stains things as well.

If this were me, I'd be searching for a different unit. Lingering cigarette smoke odors and stains are so awful inside of a home or RV.

JadedDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I think it could be done, but you would have to really work at it. Every square inch would have to be scrubbed, especially the ceiling. Shampoo carpets and use the vinegar as suggested. If you wrap seat cushions and furniture in newspaper for a few days it will draw out the smell. The dash A/C could be cleaned by spraying cleaner and deodorizer into the dash vents, ducting and around the cooling/heater cores.

If the coach has the yellow stains caused by cigarettes, those are difficult to remove and I would probably pass on the coach.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I would keep looking. I don't believe you'll ever totally eliminate the smell. That's probably a good reason for the good price.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm mulling over my thoughts---outloud

Additional factor may be----you could get a MH "clean" enough that I would go in and say "I don't smell anythig"---

-my wife would come after me and say----I SMELL SMOKE!---her nose knows best.

It is a buyers market---I'll bet there is a non-smoked in coach out there with your name on it-----or whatever the price is it is not low enough yet for the headache.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smoke smell

In the 70's I had a domestic and industrial cleaning service. My worst customers where those who smoked. If you ever tried to clean windows or walls in a house that had smokers, and had seen the nicotine run down the windows and walls while you were cleaning them, you would not go back to that customer again.
Gross. Sorry to you smokers, but it is what it is.
Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
If you don't smoke stay away. There are coaches for sale that the previous owner took care of my old one for instance. Just shop till you drop they are out there.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
smoked in coach

Well thanks for all your replys. I feelthe way most of you feel.But it also has a propane gen. so i am having a hard time with that as well. I can get a $46000 coach for around $28000 d/w and I are going full time in 2015 and want a coach to try to get a idea of what we are looking at. We hope to get a good resale when we look for a newer caach around a 2012 when we go full time.What do think that you might do? Again thanks for your input.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
If you have the time, energy and the rest of the coach is in good condition then I would go for it. As I said in my earlier post, I clean our 42' coach from front to back, replaced a couple of items of furniture and it has ZERO smell of smoke. I am very sensitive to smoke and I do not smell anything. Others have entered the coach and also have they say there is no smell of the smoke. BUT it is a LOT of work!
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Everyone has given good advise, but if you feel it is the coach for you, you can get it out of the dash ac/htr by replacing all the flex ducting and cleaning the coil and all internal surfaces...that is if you can get to them. Same goes with the roof units and ceiling ducts (if it has them) a duct cleaning service may help. The ozone generators do work, but clean everything, best to remove and replace any carpet and pad. Like others have said, you may want to take a pass. Lots of available units that are clean of odors. Over time the smoke and residue can penetrate into the insulation and that can only take years to go away if it ever does.

♫ Happy Trails... to You ♪....., Until We Meet Again ♪..... ♫
justaroamer is offline   Reply With Quote