Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
smoked the inverter

Hi all, just had a building built for our 2000 tiffin mh. They wired it for 30 amps and wen I plugged it in, it fried the INTELCI POWER 9100 inverter(model #PD9155). Is there something the elect company done or just a fluke? I hooked the meter up to the new plug and its 240 volts.. Help please before I try to make them pay for something that was not their fault. used the mh 2 weeks ago and no problem.. Thanks..
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They wired something wrong or you told them something wrong. It needs to be a 120 volt 30A circuit and not a 240 volt 30A circuit which is what you obviously got there.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear of your troubles, but if you just asked an electrician to install a 30 amp household outlet, he probably put in a 240v 30 amp service instead of the 30 amp 120v service which is unique to RVs.

IMHO, if you asked to have an RV service installed... they should pay. On the other hand if you asked to just have a 30 amp service installed, you're probably on the hook... poorer but wiser.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

We had our electrician wire a 30 amp outlet for oir rv. The night before the appointment, he called us with a question about the outlet. We took the opportunity to fax him some info. : http://www.myrv.us/electric/
He then wired the outlet, no problems. I did check it myself before plugging in.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

The typical rv inverter takes a 120v input consisting of a 120v hot leg plus a neutral leg. Sounds like you put -120v (for brevity of explanation let's say that leg is equal in voltage but opposite in sign) so the potential voltage is 240v which fried the inverter.
Sorry to hear that.
Now you have to check out all your other gear on that leg, as you have probably put 240v into your fridge, micro wave, tv, etc. Hopefully the initial plug-in tripped the breaker quickly & minimal damage was done.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Common mistake for electricians that are not familiar with 30 amp RV power. They will wire it as a 30 amp, 240 volt plug.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
thanks all. he forgot to tell his helper, and he ran 240 wire and all. he said he would pay for the inverter, $274.00. I'm a industrial pipefitter/welder by trade and i hate to see someone make mastakes like that. I did not want him to pay if there was a miss understanding.. So,, all is well, fridge and microwave/ a c are ok. THANKS AGAIN!!!
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #8

Excellent. You, and the electrical company, were lucky of no futher damage other than inverter. Nice to know the company made the right correction in the end. Good business.
Glad all went well.

Suspect several of US learned from your incident.
b
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

Just had a 50 amp service installed at home and handed the instructions to him bevore he started, we both did a check when done to ensure it was done properly. (think he did not like the idea of me providing instructions, or watching him do the work, it's our house and our MH not his)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

Are you sure everything else is OK? I don't see how all that equipment looking for 120Vac would survive very long on 240Vac. Usually in these cases people tell us of several items ruined, not just the converter.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter