RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

Snap on wheel and windshield covers

My new used 40' has snaps around the wheels and on the windshield frame. No doubt these are custom made and I have a shop near me that can make them.

I would like to know from others how well this works.
Pictures would be nice.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:30 AM   #2

I would like to know also. I saw some really nice wheel covers in Desert Hot Springs this winter but failed to inquire. Dang.
All I can find on the internet are the crappy vinyl ones with cotton on the inside. I already own those.

John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Shade Pro makes both window and tire covers

https://www.shadepro.net/product-category/accessories/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #4

Don't have any right now, but looking at Magneshade.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Don't have any right now, but looking at Magneshade.

Full cab magneshades are the way to go.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #6

Magna shade may cost a little more than the competition but are well worth it. So quick and easy to use, no step stool or ladder. I can't imagine trying to attach snaps on the top of the windshield each time. My time to install front and two side Windows is around two or three minutes.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"gpounder".....It all depends on how you'll use the coach. If you're going to be a snowbird or intend to stay at one campsite for long periods of time, the wheel covers and windshield covers are nice.

When our children were younger and we went on two week long boating trips, at one campground, I had a set of snap on black mesh covers that covered the windshield and cockpit and two zippered on, tight fitting, black mirror covers. They made my tan and green Diplomat look very sexy. On those long stays where we were trying to keep the sun out, they were well worth spending the time to install. As we got older, the kids quit going and our camping style changed (2-3) nights at one campsite and then move on) and installing the window shades became a chore, especially when the weather might be damp in morning. You had to make sure they were clean and dry, roll them up, wrangle them into some type of storage bag or tube, and stow them away.

So.....you need to decide on your camping style, as setting them up and taking them down every 2-3 days will get old quickly and you'll soon just not use them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I had a full suite of snap on covers on my '04 American Tradition. My only complaint is that I had to be very careful taking them off because it was easy to tear the snap out of the vinyl covers. Had to make sure I got fingers or a tool under the female snap rather than just pulling on the surrounding material. I carried a snap tool & kit with me because I'd tear out a snap a couple times a year. Easy enough repair, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #9

Since you already have snaps on your motor home I would suggest a good marine canvas/boat cover upholstery shop to fabricate new covers, they can match your existing snap configuration, eliminates drilling more holes in your coach. IMHO
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
My new used 40' has snaps around the wheels and on the windshield frame. No doubt these are custom made and I have a shop near me that can make them.

I would like to know from others how well this works.
Pictures would be nice.
Thanks
Had a mobile dealer install these on our Dutchstar years ago while staying in an RV park in Texas. Worth every penny. They must be rolled for storage and not folded so I made tubes from PVC pipe attached to the sides of the basement slide out trays to store them.
They fit like a glove, no wrinkles like some other ones I've seen.

RV Sunshade Company for RV Sunscreens, Wheel Covers, Mirror Covers and Awning Drops. Custom UV protection for your RV, manufacturered and installed onsite.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"gpounder".....It all depends on how you'll use the coach. If you're going to be a snowbird or intend to stay at one campsite for long periods of time, the wheel covers and windshield covers are nice.

When our children were younger and we went on two week long boating trips, at one campground, I had a set of snap on black mesh covers that covered the windshield and cockpit and two zippered on, tight fitting, black mirror covers. They made my tan and green Diplomat look very sexy. On those long stays where we were trying to keep the sun out, they were well worth spending the time to install. As we got older, the kids quit going and our camping style changed (2-3) nights at one campsite and then move on) and installing the window shades became a chore, especially when the weather might be damp in morning. You had to make sure they were clean and dry, roll them up, wrangle them into some type of storage bag or tube, and stow them away.

So.....you need to decide on your camping style, as setting them up and taking them down every 2-3 days will get old quickly and you'll soon just not use them.
I never thought of using them for camping, just for storage. I have internal shades the work very well for privacy.

I am going to use a local boat cover shop. Making a stencil of my existing snaps is not going to be accurate. I called one of the shop others provided.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This is Mona with the sunshades installed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled Pic of Mona with the sun shades, and wheel covers!.png
Views:	34
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	238795

"They must be rolled for storage and not folded so I made tubes from PVC pipe attached to the sides of the basement slide out trays to store them.
They fit like a glove, no wrinkles like some other ones I've seen."

Thanks, dennis45, for this!
I now know what the PVC pipe hanging in the basement is for!

I also found out if you lay them out in the sun for 10 min's or so, they are much easier to put on!
They make a huge difference in the interior temp! They take about 10/15 min's to put on and take off! Rail!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
This is Mona with the sunshades installed!

Attachment 238795

"They must be rolled for storage and not folded so I made tubes from PVC pipe attached to the sides of the basement slide out trays to store them.
They fit like a glove, no wrinkles like some other ones I've seen."

Thanks, dennis45, for this!
I now know what the PVC pipe hanging in the basement is for!

I also found out if you lay them out in the sun for 10 min's or so, they are much easier to put on!
They make a huge difference in the interior temp! They take about 10/15 min's to put on and take off! Rail!
I used to take mine out and snap the top center on the windshield in place for a few minutes while installing the others. By that time the windshield cover had warmed enough to make it easier to install. Cold it was nearly impossible.
Sure wish we had them for our LTV.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We used them for heat reduction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	239087

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags