Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #1

So confused

For about the past year I have been wanting to change out our factory day/night shades for automatically controlled ones. But now with all the complaints I don't know what to do? Thoughts....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I believe in keeping things simple. There are so many things on a MH that can break, I don't need to have something else that can fail.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
For about the past year I have been wanting to change out our factory day/night shades for automatically controlled ones. But now with all the complaints I don't know what to do? Thoughts....
I do not know what they cost, but if it is what you want, go for it.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
Z06

We have MCD throughout. Electric for windshield and dr window and manual for the rest. In over 4 years we have not had any problems. Much better than the pleated shades we had in our 5th wheel.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #5

We have 7 MCD manual day/night shades three of which barely work. I wish I had stayed with pleated shades.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We changed our our pleated day/night shades for manual pull down MCD shades. No remotes to lose and no motors to go bad. Very simple to open or close.

You can measure and send the measurements to the factory or you can go to the factory in McKinney, TX and camp in their lot with free 50 AMP electric hookups and they will measure, build and install them for you. They will also furnish you with a package showing local places of interest and places to eat. We chose to take advantage of the free electric hookup and stayed on their lot from Sunday to Friday. There is plenty of room to walk your dogs if you take them with you.

Home RV Window Shades | MCD Innovations

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #7

I have had to occasionally replace the cords in our pleated day/night shades. Cheap and easy. I do not want to upgrade them. YMMV.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:23 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

We have MCD throughout. Electric(just a button, no remote) for the front and manual for everything else. Love them. We had curtains in the front and they were our first thing to get rid of.

You can make an appt with MCD and they will measure, make the shades and install.

Periodically they need adjustment but it is easy to do.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:49 AM   #9

Manufacturers are using the MCD type shades for good reason. Go look and see what new products still come new with the old pleated shades. Powered or manual is a cost factor, the MCD type shades themselves are obviously the same in function. Do you think they would be coming in $500,000 coaches if they were the source of much complaints ??
Old 03-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I have had to occasionally replace the cords in our pleated day/night shades. Cheap and easy. I do not want to upgrade them. YMMV.
I am glad to hear this. I have a couple shades that need cords, but hadn't looked yet to see how easy or difficult this may be. Now I know it can be done.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #11

We have the MCD Day and Night shades. Currently, the passenger Day shade will not go up and the dinette day shade will not operate by itself, but will work if we operate all at the same time. This tells me we have a problem with the remote controller and one motor controller. Electric is neat, but manual always works.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

THere are other options besides MCD. Auto Motion Shades (AMS), Irvine Shade, and United Shade all offer manual and electric blinds. We are leaning towards the Irvine Shade as they feature a soft rise feature. They all price out within a few dollars of each other.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #13

Wife ordered replacement blinds from Irvine Blinds (she was really pleased with the service advice she got at the time), about 4 years ago. In our case was a little fiddly to fit in place due to the location of valences I didn't want to take off and didn't have to.

Considered just restringing but where some of the strings on the old ones had gotten tight they had started to tear in places around the string. For less than a couple hundred bucks really pleased, they all match and still working fine after 4+ years since replacement. Just now and then we've done a bit of adjustment on tension.

Just our 2 cents FWIW.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDad View Post
Manufacturers are using the MCD type shades for good reason. Go look and see what new products still come new with the old pleated shades. Powered or manual is a cost factor, the MCD type shades themselves are obviously the same in function. Do you think they would be coming in $500,000 coaches if they were the source of much complaints ??

I do, I have read numerous threads on this very issue and thats why I have doubt's about spending the money on them.

I will at least be doing the front shade of the coach soon! The pull curtains stink!

Tags
fuse