Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
So I have never heard of this brand.....

Western Alpine.
I read a lot about coaches, kind of my obsession, but haven't heard of these.
My DW has been scouting for a newer class c for here sister and came across a beautiful 2005 Western Alpine 40' DP.
She sends me the add. I'm like wow, that is nice.
They talk about the chassis, a Peak chassis I believe and it sounds very much like our Monaco Windsor.
Cummins 400 HP ISL.

So what do you all say about this make and model?
Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

I googled a few and love the kitchen on the drivers side, King Bed, everything we were going to order in a Dutchstar.

Maybe there is a stepping stone to Newmar in our future????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good, well made units as I remember.
Going from memory but it seemed like each jack was mounted in a separate well with a door. Also supposed to be very good handling due to the chassis construction. Also on the higher end of price like a Monaco, Beaver or Country Coach at the time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My mechanic said the Alpine are very well made. One drawback he sai was that chassis parts were sometimes hard to find.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

Welcome to the "world of Alpine"--we have an entire forum on IRV2, dedicated to our coaches. Like most coaches, very little about the Peak chassis [with regard to "replaceable" parts] is/was proprietary to the coach builder--not sure what parts would be hard to come by??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for the great responses.
Now I have to ask, after now seeing the "Alpine" forum in the owners forums, is this simple question:

Is it called Western Alpine, Western RV, or Alpine?

I saw a badge on the front of one that said WRV.
Figured that was for Western, but I may have been figuring wrong.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Western Alpine.
I read a lot about coaches, kind of my obsession, but haven't heard of these.
My DW has been scouting for a newer class c for here sister and came across a beautiful 2005 Western Alpine 40' DP.
She sends me the add. I'm like wow, that is nice.
They talk about the chassis, a Peak chassis I believe and it sounds very much like our Monaco Windsor.
Cummins 400 HP ISL.

So what do you all say about this make and model?
Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

I googled a few and love the kitchen on the passenger side, King Bed, everything we were going to order in a Dutchstar.

Maybe there is a stepping stone to Newmar in our future????
We had an 03 Alpenlite 3 slide 5er made by WRV, one of the best 5ers going. We had it for 10 years and never had a problem.
The Alpine coach made by WRV. It is a low profile coach love the mirrored windows. If I remember right one other thing about ever 2 years you need to flush the brake fluid (disc brakes) and they had a steering bracket problem but there is a fix for it, no big deal. I just liked the look of the coach. They need to move this over to the Alpine forum for a better look.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The company was called Western Wilderness and part of their product line included the Alpine Coach diesel pusher. They started out as a great coach and as I dreamed of buying a diesel pusher one day, the Alpine Coach was going to be my first. We toured their plant, where they built coaches like Nascar builds cars. They used a process called "huck" bolting that held their frames together. The "huck" bolts, as explained to me at one time, tightened as time went on.

Once the chassis was built, it was cleaned and painted like no other coach at the time. Rather than run wiring from one end to other, they ran the wiring into boxes at both ends and sent the information via fiber optics.

One of their designers use to take their shortest coaches (34'), and claimed he could break the tires loose in a turn. During that factory visit, we also visited the Country Coach plant and Monaco Plant. Country Coach was built in a similar fashion to the Alpines and the Monaco plant was just nasty/dirty.

We never found a floor plan we liked in the Country Coach line and by the time we were ready to buy in 2005, Alpine Coach was going down hill and about to go out of business. The last Alpine we looked at, during an RV show, had some real build issues. We eventually bought a 2005 Monaco Diplomat that ended up being probably the best coach we've ever owned.

I think if you find an Alpine Coach in good condition, you won't go wrong.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The company was called Western Wilderness and part of their product line included the Alpine Coach diesel pusher. They started out as a great coach and as I dreamed of buying a diesel pusher one day, the Alpine Coach was going to be my first. We toured their plant, where they built coaches like Nascar builds cars. They used a process called "huck" bolting that held their frames together. The "huck" bolts, as explained to me at one time, tightened as time went on.

Once the chassis was built, it was cleaned and painted like no other coach at the time. Rather than run wiring from one end to other, they ran the wiring into boxes at both ends and sent the information via fiber optics.

One of their designers use to take their shortest coaches (34'), and claimed he could break the tires loose in a turn. During that factory visit, we also visited the Country Coach plant and Monaco Plant. Country Coach was built in a similar fashion to the Alpines and the Monaco plant was just nasty/dirty.

We never found a floor plan we liked in the Country Coach line and by the time we were ready to buy in 2005, Alpine Coach was going down hill and about to go out of business. The last Alpine we looked at, during an RV show, had some real build issues. We eventually bought a 2005 Monaco Diplomat that ended up being probably the best coach we've ever owned.

I think if you find an Alpine Coach in good condition, you won't go wrong.

Ok, a couple of corrections/comments.

1) Alpine coaches were manufactured by Western Recreational Vehicles (WRV) in Yakima, WA, they also manufactured the Alpinelite 5er. They did NOT manufacture the Alpine 5er.

2) the Peak chassis was made by WRV with huck bolts.

3) there is a data bus (Vansco Multiplexer Module), it uses a wired data bus (not fiber optic). With a few exceptions it was used starting in 2004. Prior coaches had a wire harness that was eliminated to save weight and reduce line losses.

4) WRV made Alpine coaches from 1998 - 2008, they shut the doors in April 2008.

5) the Alpine users group on IRV2 is strong, there is tech library that has most of the documentation you could need. I have never had a problem getting something serviced.

6) most of the components used in an Alpine are commercially available (or a replacement) and are used coaches like Country Coach and Monaco.

If you want additional information post on the Alpine forum, you will get lots of help.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
So I have never heard of this brand.....

Again, thank you for all the information!
I believe we are going to take a look at one today just for reference.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Was always on my short list until their dimise. Still a beautiful coach.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I lived in Yakima Wa. during the time that WRV was producing the Alpine Coach. I would see them all the time on test drives and I always thought it would be great to own one. They were/are high end, quality and very beautiful rigs... well worth finding one in good shape and updating.

Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #12

to add to my post, the 34' alpine is second to none... it's the very best 34'r you can buy.. ... I can have any coach I want , and I chose the alpine... mine has the 400hp 1200ft lb tq..it's built on the same chassis as a 40'r 43,000 Gcwr... with the up graded disc brakes it will stop some 50' sooner..it has a 10,000 lb tow cap. and a 33,000 gvwr... coach only weighs 26k....loaded

it has been called the sport car of rv's... 11r tires combinded with neway air ride suspension leaves nothing on the want list..
2 stage engine brake gets you safely down the steep grade , and the 1200tq gets you right back up.. the super insulation keeps the coach in the low 70's in the hot az...havasu summers... and the heated basement keeps it toasty in the winter.... mine is a 2004 and it glides over the ruffest road with no rattles... the cabinetry is solid maple..big double door 3 way fridge. keeps the frozen stuff froze on the hottest days..

to this day there is still not a coach on the road that compares .... you spend way more money to get way less..

I just did an interior remodel and up grade to the newer look..top of the line 34'coach which still hold that title 12 years latter...

only problem is....it's a very rare rare coach..and for a reason....there is not one for sale anywhere in the united states and they go quick when they do pop up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2806.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	140436  
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #13

2008 Western Rv Alpine 40fdqs - Camping World Of Cincinnati - 1208199

Looked at this one since it was made in my hometown - seems like a nice coach.
Yakimaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We looked at a 2005 Alpine Limited 40' yesterday.
What a beautiful coach!
First thing I noticed was for an 05, there paint had no checking. The 3m mask didn't look great but the rest of the coach, the paint was great.
Fit and finish was very well done.
Large windows, dinette on passenger side, wide door, king bed, 2 stage engine brake and beautiful cabinetry checked all the boxes.
For us what we liked the most was it looked to be a very well made coach without the Vegas lights in the ceiling.
I can see why the Alpine group is so strong.
Even though this coach was almost perfect in every way we are passing on it as it is just not the right time for us to upgrade.
We learned a lot about a brand unfamiliar to us, and one we would definitely consider in the future.
Thank you all for your replies!