Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
So there is another class A other than gas and Dp? Diesel puller??

I thought I had all This straight and then WHAM. Fleetwood Bounder classics have the option for a Diesel engine up front with air ride on a freight liner chassis!

Where do these things fit in the Pecking order?
__________________

__________________
Got a starter A-Frame but moved to a Super-C
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,135
They peck up nicely $ 4 $. It depends what $ MH your stacking it up to.
__________________

__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
They peck up nicely $ 4 $. It depends what $ MH your stacking it up to.
Between A Gasser and A DP...what are the benefits of spending the money on that engine when it tows the same as far as I can see. Torque is higher so better on uphills but what else?
__________________
Got a starter A-Frame but moved to a Super-C
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: michigan-tip of the mitt
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
Between A Gasser and A DP...what are the benefits of spending the money on that engine when it tows the same as far as I can see. Torque is higher so better on uphills but what else?
The difference is WAY more than engine. Bigger and better in DP. Frame,brakes axles. springs, cooling.
In reality they are totaly different from the floor of the coach down.
__________________
HR 29 fks TT, 1 slide, Chevy Silverado
Next stop?
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Statgeek's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,578
The Front Engine Diesels are commonly called "FREDs." Some people love them, but for me, it takes away one huge advantage of the pusher... having that loud engine 30' or more behind you. I didn't like the noise of our Gas engine, and while a diesel hums at a lower RPM, I suspect it's still pretty loud up front. That said, it may be the case that if you want massive towing capabilities, maybe the FREDs offer more than DPs? I only think that because I've walked through a few "Super-C's" that were FREDs and they were super-equipped for towing.
__________________
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
VestaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post

Between A Gasser and A DP...what are the benefits of spending the money on that engine when it tows the same as far as I can see. Torque is higher so better on uphills but what else?
Make no mistake, any engine in a MH is under extreme use pulling or pushing. None are light weight. Put a 4000 lb toad behind her and that's more weight. For limited use gas jobs are fine, there are a lot of them out there.
For overall comfort however, the diesel better. Air ride, pulling power, longevity in extreme use, mpg, and air brakes. This said buy the one you want. Its your money. Btw, diesels are more costly to maintain.
__________________
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
The difference is WAY more than engine. Bigger and better in DP. Frame,brakes axles. springs, cooling.
In reality they are totaly different from the floor of the coach down.
I know that. I am trying to figure out if a FRED (diesel in front) has benefits over Gas engines..for example the air ride/suspension.
__________________
Got a starter A-Frame but moved to a Super-C
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
......Btw, diesels are more costly to maintain.......

Because of the engine itself, location, or a little of both?
__________________
Got a starter A-Frame but moved to a Super-C
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: michigan-tip of the mitt
Posts: 1,382
I see on another thread ( Where to buy from?) you have made up your mind. Buying Integra just wondering about dealers. I can't help you ther, I only buy used from owners.
__________________
HR 29 fks TT, 1 slide, Chevy Silverado
Next stop?
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
I see on another thread ( Where to buy from?) you have made up your mind. Buying Integra just wondering about dealers. I can't help you ther, I only buy used from owners.
We decided that we love Entegra, but I just don't love any of the floorplans for where we are at in our lives. I love American Coach, and love the Closet bunk conversions but my husband is visual and needs to see things in person...they are few and far between.

We are leaning towards getting a unit under 100K and not full timing since we aren't in love with anything 100%
__________________
Got a starter A-Frame but moved to a Super-C
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: michigan-tip of the mitt
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
We decided that we love Entegra, but I just don't love any of the floorplans for where we are at in our lives. I love American Coach, and love the Closet bunk conversions but my husband is visual and needs to see things in person...they are few and far between.

We are leaning towards getting a unit under 100K and not full timing since we aren't in love with anything 100%
You are on the right track asking questions here. The info you get is really worth what you pay for it. Nothing. Don't take that seriously.
You have lot of time until 2015 and visit as many units as you can. Private party sales are good because you have no heavy handed, I want my commission, salesmen to deal with.
Good hunting.
__________________
HR 29 fks TT, 1 slide, Chevy Silverado
Next stop?
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 10,476
Biggest disadvantage of a FREDs is with the engine in the front you will get a lot of noise from the engine. Being big in size diesels generate more heat and you will have to contend with that under your feet. The market for FREDs is smaller then a DP which will make the eventual sale more difficult. The door on a FRED will usually be mid-coach.
__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy. TST 507 TPMS
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
I know that. I am trying to figure out if a FRED (diesel in front) has benefits over Gas engines..for example the air ride/suspension.
You should not assume that ALL of the FRED chassis include air ride suspensions. The most common FREDs are by FCCC, and Tiffin used a bunch of them under their pre-2010 Allegro and Allegro Bay coaches. Newmar built some of their Grand Star models on them as well. Those were all steel sprung suspensions-just like their gasser competitors from Ford and Workhorse. OBTW, Workhorse also made a "fred" out of it's W series gasser chassis by adding a Maxxforce diesel in place of the 8.1L gas motor. The first of these was the W16D under the Damon Avanti, and later the W20D was used under the TMC Serrano coaches-none of these rode on air, either- except for what was in the tires.

IMO, FREDs with air ride / brakes are fairly rare, with apologies to all the Monaco Vesta and HR Trip owners out there.
Ed
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
VestaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
You should not assume that ALL of the FRED chassis include air ride suspensions. The most common FREDs are by FCCC, and Tiffin used a bunch of them under their pre-2010 Allegro and Allegro Bay coaches. Newmar built some of their Grand Star models on them as well. Those were all steel sprung suspensions-just like their gasser competitors from Ford and Workhorse. OBTW, Workhorse also made a "fred" out of it's W series gasser chassis by adding a Maxxforce diesel in place of the 8.1L gas motor. The first of these was the W16D under the Damon Avanti, and later the W20D was used under the TMC Serrano coaches-none of these rode on air, either- except for what was in the tires.

IMO, FREDs with air ride / brakes are fairly rare, with apologies to all the Monaco Vesta and HR Trip owners out there.
Ed
Apologies accepted. With regard to an earlier post, most Vesta/Trip owners do not find the engine noise or floor heat excessive. In fact I find it to be pleasant. The heat I find, and yes there is heat, comes mostly from the large A class windshield. I think this issue is common to all class A MHs. My old C Class was way better in this regard with its overhead that acted as a big visor.
__________________

__________________
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
class a, diesel, gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.