Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #43

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie n Tara View Post
Hi,
If you haven't already bought the tile, I'd suggest making up a section from Allure or a similar material that forms a sealed joint rather than tile. This will prevent water from passing between the tiles and repeating the problem.
JM2C, Good luck!
Ernie
Hmmm. Unfortunately, I've bought the tile already. The good news is that the original problem (before we bought this RV) was generated from the water pump, in a nearby bedroom closet and that problem has never re-occured. My wife and I normally don't get any water on the bath floor so I'm hoping that the seams don't pose a problem for me. I can also say that the edges of the old floor were very open and if any water had gotten near, it would have run under that linoleum.

Would the adhesive be waterproof? I ask because I could be sure to get a good coat of it where the seams will be.

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

A variety of problems have gotten in the way of my working on this floor. Only in the past couple of days have I made any progress.

Here is my latest picture.

- I ended up using a Dremel to raise the underside of the wall enough to get the new board in place. I had to do the same thing to the underside of part of the vanity.
- the backing from the old linoleum showing in this picture has been removed but it took almost 4 hours to do it. I ended up using a dull scraper blade and having to be careful because scraping could lift parts of the OSB rather than just the backing. It was tedious.

I'm going to give the floor a final sanding today, clean it carefully afterwards and start laying the new tile. I want to layout my trim before I put the tile down so that I can start preparing the trim while I wait for the tile adhesive to dry. I'll try to post pictures when I'm done.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Final Update (I hope)

We just returned from a 600 mile trip to San Antonio after the bath floor was completed. I still have a couple of minor things that I want to do but I'm declaring victory at this point and posting this picture

Lessons learned:
1. This project would not have been possible without the Fein tool The cuts to joint the old and new subfloor sections would have difficult without it.
2. The worst parts problem was finding fasteners to hold the new subfloor piece down. I finally had to go with a less than ideal one from Fastenal and even those would have been outrageously expensive if not for their kindness
3. Don't start these kinds of projects in Texas in the summer. I should have learned that lesson from my shower skylight repair last year. The RV is in a barn, out of the direct sunlight but the bath is in the center, between the two roof A/Cs and even fans didn't help.

Charlie
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #46

Freightliner Owners Club
Charles: Looks great.
Really turned out well for a big project.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update, I'm sure you will enjoy it even more than we did reading about it
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #48

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Thank you for the update, I'm sure you will enjoy it even more than we did reading about it
We do. I had gotten used to stepping past the soft spot in the old floor which was right in the middle of the doorway to the toliet area. I caught myself still doing that a couple of times on the last trip.

You cannot see it in the pictures but there was no trim under the sink area before and the trim in the shower and toilet areas was different, ranging from flat stock to quarter round. I changed all of that, making it consistent and was careful to use stain instead of white trim where it was appropriate. Esthetically, the result is much better. The new tile matches the rest of the MH decor better, too.

I'm very glad that the damage wasn't more extensive. I would have hated to have to put the vanity or the cabinet with the drawers in the bathroom. That would have been really ugly.

Charlie
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
Charles: I noticed that wood trim around the base of the shower. Big improvement. I have carpeted trim in that area, looks out of place.
Now I have another addition to the to-do list...

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote