Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Soft Bathroom Floor

I've just completed a IRV2 Forum search (I really like the powered by Google change) and didn't find exactly what I was looking for but did get some good information. Here's our story.

- before we bought, the dealer walked us through several repairs that he had made including replacing the linoleum in the bathroom floor. It looked good and solid and was a fairly nice job. We never gave it any more thought
- fast forward 5 years and we start to develop a soft spot in front of the cabinet for the sink.
- recently, the depression got so bad that the linoleum tore at that point.

This coming weekend, I'd like to tear into the problem but before I do, I'd like a hint or two about what I might be getting into.

1. I'm assuming that there is a problem with the subfloor and that is is OSB or MDF. My concern is that there may not be an easy way replace just a piece of it in the center, considering whatever structural support might be underneath it or that I'll end up with a difficult to solve height difference.
2. While I'm doing this, I'd like to consider another type of flooring. If it were just in the toilet area, I'd consider tile but the linoleum runs the width of the MH and bends to left to get around the sink vanity on the way to the bedroom. I'm a little concerned about the added weight from ceramic tile for that much area.

Experience and ideas are welcome.

Charlie

P.S. I did read the thread about the toilet area tile replacement. I'm thinking that mine might be similar.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Charlie- I'd stay away from ceramic due to the coach flexing. You can cut the vinyl at the cabinets and peel it back to see where your damage is. If you have to replace the floor, you can get a multipurpose tool at Harbor Freight and cut the floor around the edges. Ernie- in Weatherford- doing floors close to 40 years

Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Sorry, can't help you but have the exact same issue so will be watching for replys. My soft spot is about 18" square in front of sink and side of tub/shower combo. Thanks for posting, this must be more common than I thought.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll also want to find out where the leak is.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Charlie- I'd stay away from ceramic due to the coach flexing. You can cut the vinyl at the cabinets and peel it back to see where your damage is. If you have to replace the floor, you can get a multipurpose tool at Harbor Freight and cut the floor around the edges. Ernie- in Weatherford- doing floors close to 40 years
Hey Ernie do you have any more information on this multi-purpose tool.
Dennis in Washington
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	10449  
Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Had this same situation in a mobile home I owned long ago....

Eventually the tub fell right through the floor!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #7

I actually bought a Dremel Multipurpose tool. The HF ones are a knock off to them Fein makes one also, but I got to get some more flooring jobs to pay for one. Go to Dremels website- or HF and you can check them out. I don't know how I got along without them.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my family (Father's side) there is a story about two of my great aunts going into the out-building together (It appears it was a 2-holer, no waiting) one was your basic bean pole and the other... Well she made up for it, (Rahter rotund as they say)

Well.. The floor was a bit soft there too, in fact it gave way dumping them into.. Well yo udo know what' under the floor in those buildings right?

Same thing that's under the floor in your bathroom I suspect.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
In my family (Father's side) there is a story about two of my great aunts going into the out-building together (It appears it was a 2-holer, no waiting) one was your basic bean pole and the other... Well she made up for it, (Rahter rotund as they say)

Well.. The floor was a bit soft there too, in fact it gave way dumping them into.. Well yo udo know what' under the floor in those buildings right?

Same thing that's under the floor in your bathroom I suspect.
I know what is under the floor. The gray and black tanks are suspended from the frame ( I know because the black tank fell off of its mount at one point).

I appreciate your advice on ceramic tile, Ernie. There is a thread on this forum that talks about special materials used with ceramic in RVs. I really don't want to go that way.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Fein or a knock off. This might be my big chance.

If all goes well, I'm going to do a little probing around the cut in the floor tomorrow. I'm not too optimistic about what I'm going to find.

Charlie
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just did the same thing in a MH a few weeks ago. The seal around the bottom of the toliet had apparently been seeping water for a long time. My brother-in-law suggested the multi-tool and I picked up one from Harbor Freight. I have used it on several projects and not sure how I every managed without one! The MH had two layers of 1/2" OSB. The 2nd layer was not as bad as the top layer so I was able to use the multi-tool to cut out what I needed, then I replaced those areas with plywood. The flooring was already ceramic and the MH came with several extra tiles so what I manage to break I had extras :-) Last week I found a couple of weak areas in the bedroom around the slide opening. I fixed the leaks and ripped up the carpet and again used the multi-tool to cut out the sections that were bad. I did cut back enough so I was on a supported section. Now the bedroom has new carpet and the DW wants to do the same thing in the living room. Never ends :-)

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Charlie,
I strongly suspect that your soft floor and the earlier failure of the holding tank at its moorings are related events. My bet is... you have wet-rot due to a leak.

Like a cancer, the only thing you can do is to cut it clear back to good wood, metal, etc. There are no shortcuts to this if you want a lasting "cure"... as evidenced by the fact that someone simply put new linoleum over the soft spot without addressing either the leak or the damage done.

With the correct tool, the job will be made much simpler. Buy to tool, Chaz, then pursue the rot with a vengeance ...and then address whatever floor leveling problems by "scabbing" onto the remaining solid structural members at the same height.
Scabbing will be totally sufficient because the load bearing factor for a bathroom floor in an RV is not that great, considering this is in a relatively confined space, as opposed to a large span requiring great structural strength to support a heavy load. (And I don't even KNOW you, ol' boy!)

I agree with avoiding ceramic tile, I don't have any cracks in mine... but it is going to be history because I just can't imagine how much it weighs ...and how many gallons of fuel I expend to haul it down the road. A composition floor will look just as nice and weigh a heck-of-a-lot less when I can git-R-done.

Take care ...and congratulations in advance on your NEW TOOL! Woo Hoo!!!
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Today's revelations:

I started to cut a bigger slice through the linoleum and and found out that I didn't have to. It pulled up at the corners near the vanity and I can see most of the damaged area.

1. The damage (based on what I can see and thumping surrounding areas) appears to be a 18" x 24" of OSB in front of the vanity and, unfortunately, extending under the wall between the main bath and the toilet area. There is no sign of weakness around the toilet nor under the vanity itself. I was able to get the bottom shelf loose.

2. The damage does not extend toward the shower either. The OSB is clearly water damaged however.

I guess this means that my first job, before I even think about repairs, is to find the source of the water. I can see where the drain for the sink goes through the floor and, as I said, there is no sign of softness in the area surrounding it. There are no water tracks from the hot and cold water lines that run near it, at least that are visible to me.

We are supposed to be in for some very rough weather this afternoon here in Texas. Assuming that it doesn't turn out to be as bad as predicted, I'm going to remove the linoleum from under the vanity it is a different piece than outside of it) and get some good light in there. I suspect that the next step will be to pull the toilet, the carpeted pipe cover beside and and then to tear up the linoleum in that room.

My biggest fear in all of this is that the vanity and/or the wall between the toilet and the main bath area are going to be in the way of my repair work. I can only hope that I can separate them enough to handle it without tearing them out. It could get ugly.

Charlie
Old 05-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #13

Charlie- can you post some photos, if you get a chance. This may help others.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Charlie- can you post some photos, if you get a chance. This may help others.
We are in the middle to the storms that just came through Weatherford so I cannot get to the barn where the RV is stored to take pictures tonight. I'll take some the first thing tomorrow and post them. I'm not sure that I can get good pictures that will do the situation justice but I'll give it my best shot.

I did some more exploring this evening. I've found that area where I believe the original water leak occurred, under a full height cabinet (drawers and doors) in the bathroom. It isn't clear whether the water actually started with the pipes that are visible there or at the water pump under the wardroom in the bedroom. I'll explore that tomorrow, too. There is no chance for me to replace the flooring under those cabinets without ripping them out, I believe.

What I hope that I can do is to cut away the damaged OSB without hurting anything that is beneath it and work pieces into place. What I'm not sure of is how to tie the OSB together if I have to use pieces or how to tie it to whatever remaining floor structure that is left when the damage is removed.

Charlie