Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Soft Water system alternative question

We have horribly hard water here in AZ. Looking for a solution other than On The Go system because of the "environmental issues" and my wife still won't drink it even though the appliances love it.

Has anyone had experience with "America's #1 Salt Free Water Treatment" from "Easy Water". I am getting the "hard sell" from the salesman and am putting him off until I hear from some actual RV users. Anyone out there?

Thanks in advance....again.... George Bist (360) 670-9328 gcbist@gmail.com
George Bist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What environmental issues does the on the go have? A little bit of salt? The small amount used a few times a year will hurt absolutely nothing. If you follow the instructions and regenerate properly, you will not taste or have any salt in the water whatsoever.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't find very good reviews for the salt-less systems so I bought one of these from Amazon and it works great. I even use it when washing the coach to keep hard water spots down. You use very little salt when you regenerate. Saves on soap and hard water spots on appliances, shower doors, inside water heater, etc.

Watts RV PRO-1000 OR M7002 10000 Grains Portable Water Softener

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

"environmental issues"

How many TONS of salt do states spread on their highways each winter?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Soft Water system alternative question

I use my On-The-Go Double, and 2 large whole-house filters, to make great water, superb showers, clean pipes, etc.
2 boxes of "It Rains It Pours" once in a while protects the environment by not allowing high-alkaline and other sundries in the raw water to contantly pass thru my rig.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

I can't comment on Easy Water, but I tried a system from the UK called the Water IMP that supposedly worked the same way (wire wrapped around the water main with small electronic device connected to it with pulsed frequencies). It had a money back guarantee. When I received it, the guarantee stated you had to try it for at least six months. I tried it for a year. It plain and simply didn't work. The calcium deposited were every bit as hard to remove as with no softener. Unless thdse system somehow add two electrons to the calcium or magnesium ions, I don't see how it could work.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bist View Post
We have horribly hard water here in AZ. Looking for a solution other than On The Go system because of the "environmental issues" and my wife still won't drink it even though the appliances love it.
George, I'm on well water - it's off the scale hard. We use traditional salt. if that's offensive, you can use potassium, although it's the same basic principle.

You own a motorhome, she can't be *that* earth friendly... :-)

In terms of drinking it, do a reverse osmosis system - it removes 90-98% of all the stuff she doesn't like... it's how we get by.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

We also have the on the go system.
On The GoŽ | Portable Water Softeners
Keep the shower glass clean, ice maker and washing machine working the way they should, trouble free.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

The non-salt systems do not work. I have tried them. I have a Watts water softener that uses table salt and it works great. If you are concerned about salt in your drinking water, you can take water out before it goes into the softener and put it in a pitcher for drinking or you can get a portable reverse osmosis system that you use for drinking water only. The reverse osmosis system will remove the salts. You can also go to Costco and buy bottled water for drinking.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #10

soft water alternative

Thanks to all who replied to my question. Not a single RV'r admitted to using the aforementioned unit. I will stick with my On the Go system and investigate a small RO system perhaps. Thanks for your responses. George Bist
George Bist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

I purchased a Whirlpool RO system from Lowes. It has a smaller tank than most so takes up less space. My unit had enough room under the kitchen sink to install, and the piping was such that I now have a RO faucet on my sink for cooking, etc. and have run the RO water to my refrigerator to supply water to the ice maker and water dispenser. Have used this for several years without problems. Of course, filters need changing occasionally.

We have a water softener, but quit using it last year. Just too much trouble to recharge so often when using shower, washer, etc. Use CLR on shower, no lime buildup. Use CLR to clean faucet airators occasionally.

Works for us.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water