Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
Ex Journeyman Millwright

Softening Rubber on Air Bags to increase life

I looked at 4 different DP's today, ranging from 2007 - 2005 and noticed that 3 out of 4 of them, all the air bags showed cracking of different degrees in the rubber. Knowing that how they are stored, age, road conditions, weather etc, etc, has different degrees of wear and effects the life of these bags. But i couldn't help but wonder, why couldn't you apply the same type of silicon based lubricant material that you use on slide seals to keep those air bags soft and pliable and keep them from drying out and therefore more prone to cracking. It seems to me if you did that, you would greatly lengthen the life of these bags. Am I wrong here?

marjoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #2

Right now mine have never had anything applied, guess I should be glad they've lasted 17 years-so far.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sure makes sense to me. Our "new to us" coach is 10 years old and ours are showing signs of drying out as well.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
From what I saw there is a double ply bag , the outer is just a shell. But I'm not sure they are all made that way
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #5

Interesting. I have a set of Air Lift "sleeves" that have been on 2 different Dodge 1500 trucks since 2001. Well over 250K miles on them and they have zero cracks and have never leaked. I have a set of Air Lifts on a utility trailer that have been on there since about 1999, zero issues. I have a set of Air Lift bags inside the rear coils of my 2006 Jeep Wrangler since 2006 and they look new, no cracks, no leaks. I had a set "in the coils" on my 2009 RAM 1500 that never had issues what so ever. I've heard if you have oil leaks and oil gets on them they can go bad. Of course being close to an exhaust pipe can damage them. Running the vehicle without any air in the bags is a big no no. I know of nothing that can prevent cracks on them as far as chemicals ETC.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:21 AM   #6

Good news is, they are inexpensive to replace.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
What do you consider inexpensive?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
Ex Journeyman Millwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Approx. how much?

And is it something easy enough to do DYI?
marjoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #9

In all reality,
You could apply any and all possible "coatings" or, "preservatives" or, "lubricants" etc. (or anything else you want to call a facade) and time, the elements, road acids, pavement oils, engine oils, and of course plain old AGE, are going to take effect. Rubber is rubber and is not infinite. Tires of course show more accelerated signs of age and use-effects. That's nothing that can be put on those that can stop the degradation process. In fact, it's recommended by some of the tire manufacturers to NOT put any of the elixirs on them.

Sure, it would be nice to PRESERVE them (air bags) to prolong the potential inevitable cost and labor of replacing them by far. But, it is what it is. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330HP CAT, shows minute signs of cracking on them. That coach, has lived its entire life under a drive under cover or a garage, like it is in now. So, again, it's just going to happen.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote