Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
While nice, The magna shade system is highly overpriced. For those of us who are even a little bit handy this is a great do it yourself project. Sew on your own pockets for the magnets and the tool or stick to put them up into place with. If you don't sew then take your shades to an upholstery shop.
Before taking them to the shop mark where you want the individual pockets to be located. Magnets are available all over the internet and not overpriced.

Look for Neodymium magnets (rare earth magnets) in the 46-50 range of magnetism. I find that a round magnet works best although they are available in scores of shapes. Use a magnet in the 3/4" to 1" diameter about 1/8" thick and not over 1/4" thick.
After having your screens/shades modified do one last setup by dragging out the dreaded ladder and install the screens using your old style snaps or turn locks to hold them. The screen magnets should already be secured in their respective pockets. Go inside and match the interior magnets to those in the screen. Have on hand several rear view mirror glue kits like glass shops use to reinstall the windshield mounted rear view mirror after doing a windshield replacement. These are available at Walmart if you can't find them anywhere else.

Note! I did not install magnets along the bottoms of my shades as the turn locks are all comfortably accessible from the ground.

I needed an extension rod to move the top row magnets into place. I had an old broom handle from an old push broom that I turned to a little smaller diameter for a couple inches on the end in order for it to fit the pouch sewed on the outside at each magnet. All of this was done under a hundred dollars.

I wanted to talk to the Magna shade people at their booth this year at Quartzsite about whether they would modify an existing set of shades for a customer. I got a flat NO WAY. So shelling out 2 times for a set of shades is none of their concern. So for the folks who like to be conservative with their money they offer no help. I also wanted to talk about the magnets they use. That was a NO,NO too. Basically if you are not ready to fork over the big dough they won't talk to you. What they are doing is not complicated. I hope more RVers take on their own project like this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #16

Magnashade is a very good product and will serve you well. Roger had the idea and he gets compensated for it. That is the American way. Roger and his wife are nice folks. We went to their shop and they installed the magnets and shades for us. Also have the inside flip shades, mirror and wiper blade covers. I think if I keep the coach long enough, I will pay for the shades in wiper blade replacement cost.

BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
Magnashade is a very good product and will serve you well. Roger had the idea and he gets compensated for it. That is the American way. Roger and his wife are nice folks. We went to their shop and they installed the magnets and shades for us. Also have the inside flip shades, mirror and wiper blade covers. I think if I keep the coach long enough, I will pay for the shades in wiper blade replacement cost.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:44 PM   #18
dms

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
You can spend a month in a campground for the cost of magnashades
We could stay in a Ritz Carlton Hotel for the rest of our lives for what our MH cost, too.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Exterior shades are BY FAR the best way to go. I've had custom shades made that snap on. They were very effective but a real pain to install. Having them made in the Rio Grande Valley was not a bad price.

HOWEVER...the potential for falling off of a ladder to save a few bucks in kinda insane.

Last summer I had Magne Shades installed and haven't looked back. Roger Hunkler did the install at the NKK Rally in WV last summer and we found they cut the driver side shade wrong. However, we were going to leave the rally and pass right past the factory the next Monday. He met us, used our coach as a template and for similar coaches.

More power to folks that want to DIY. Personally, I am happy with the product and not having to hassle with building them. That is MY choice and others can shake their head if they don't like the way I spend MY money.

Personally I can't think of a good reason to use any windshield shade system that requires a ladder. I think there are some other systems out there that can be installed without ladders but I'm happy with mine.

Finally, cost is relative to what the options are. I know that my exterior shades have made me a whole lot more comfortable and that has some intrinsic value. On top of that, when I'm paying for electricity these kinds of shades will save you some money. I won't say you will recover your "investment" but if you combine additional comfort with some money savings it sounds like a good deal.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Magnashades are a great idea, but if you are fiscally conservative (translated cheap) like me, there is an alternative. SunPro Mfg in Arizona makes an excellent window shade and they are only around $259 for a full set of their 90% Suntex. This includes windshield, both driver and passenger windows, "booties" for the windshield wipers and a carrying bag. Yes, they fasten with snaps or hook-n-loop fasteners, but they only take few minutes to install on a ladder and you can remove them from the ground. I have owned two sets now and would not be hesitant to buy another set. I also bought extras for most of the side windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SunProShades.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	124551  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #21

We have MagnaShade for the front windshield and the tires. Pricey? Yep, but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycow View Post
While nice, The magna shade system is highly overpriced. For those of us who are even a little bit handy this is a great do it yourself project. Sew on your own pockets for the magnets and the tool or stick to put them up into place with. If you don't sew then take your shades to an upholstery shop.

Could the magnets attached to the screen be glued to the screen vs sewing the pockets in your retrofit? Or is the tension of the mated magnets too great for glue?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Gluing magnets to screen vs. pockets.

I don't know if the gluing would work. There are so many good glues and epoxy products that it might be worth a try. For myself I prefer the sewed on pockets as that seems to be the most fool proof method.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:53 AM   #24

Weird. LOL
Old 04-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #25

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
I saw someone with a light tan set of magneshades last weekend at the campsite. Does anyone have any experience as to whether this lighter color allows in any more heat than the black?

I know their website says the black offers the most protection but to me it seems to go against what I always knew about black attracting heat and light colors repelling it better due to reflection.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycow View Post
I don't know if the gluing would work. There are so many good glues and epoxy products that it might be worth a try. For myself I prefer the sewed on pockets as that seems to be the most fool proof method.
The pockets protect the glass versus the magnet against the glass.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maligator View Post
I saw someone with a light tan set of magneshades last weekend at the campsite. Does anyone have any experience as to whether this lighter color allows in any more heat than the black?

I know their website says the black offers the most protection but to me it seems to go against what I always knew about black attracting heat and light colors repelling it better due to reflection.
The heat blocking property is negligible between light and dark colors.
The big difference is in outward visibility during the day time. Dark colors have the best outward visibility by far. Like sunglasses, you see right through the dark color. Tan will reflect light and create a glare.
From a sunscreen pro.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personal attacks are not permitted here per our Community Rules. Discuss the topic and debate opinions but please do it in a collegial manner.
Thanks.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar