Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycow View Post
While nice, The magna shade system is highly overpriced. For those of us who are even a little bit handy this is a great do it yourself project. Sew on your own pockets for the magnets and the tool or stick to put them up into place with. If you don't sew then take your shades to an upholstery shop.

Before taking them to the shop mark where you want the individual pockets to be located. Magnets are available all over the internet and not overpriced.

Look for Neodymium magnets (rare earth magnets) in the 46-50 range of magnetism. I find that a round magnet works best although they are available in scores of shapes. Use a magnet in the 3/4" to 1" diameter about 1/8" thick and not over 1/4" thick.

After having your screens/shades modified do one last setup by dragging out the dreaded ladder and install the screens using your old style snaps or turn locks to hold them. The screen magnets should already be secured in their respective pockets. Go inside and match the interior magnets to those in the screen. Have on hand several rear view mirror glue kits like glass shops use to reinstall the windshield mounted rear view mirror after doing a windshield replacement. These are available at Walmart if you can't find them anywhere else.

Note! I did not install magnets along the bottoms of my shades as the turn locks are all comfortably accessible from the ground.

I needed an extension rod to move the top row magnets into place. I had an old broom handle from an old push broom that I turned to a little smaller diameter for a couple inches on the end in order for it to fit the pouch sewed on the outside at each magnet. All of this was done under a hundred dollars.

I wanted to talk to the Magna shade people at their booth this year at Quartzsite about whether they would modify an existing set of shades for a customer. I got a flat NO WAY. So shelling out 2 times for a set of shades is none of their concern. So for the folks who like to be conservative with their money they offer no help. I also wanted to talk about the magnets they use. That was a NO,NO too. Basically if you are not ready to fork over the big dough they won't talk to you. What they are doing is not complicated. I hope more RVers take on their own project like this.
Roger has no obligation to help you copy his product and I respect him all the more for refusing to do so. He has a great family owned and operated company that has a great product. Everyone should come up with a great idea of their own and make it work as he did.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #30
dms

Ditto on Roger being a great fellow along with his wife and partner Claire.

I live in NC and have been to his shop, having ordered MagneShades for our last two coaches. Pricey?....maybe, but he had a great idea, paid to get a patent, beat the marketing bushes, invested in a $100+K cad cutter, created jobs, makes payroll, and on and on and on. I'd be a little guarded too if I were him.

His customer service is top shelf and makes the customer happy, nomatter what it takes. Attributes I'm willing to pay for in this world of "no service".

Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spoke with Magneshade folks as I purchased a window shade for my essex last summer, used it for a month or two at the most. We then traded to a foretravel, would like to keep shade, but I don't have a heavy enough machine to modify it. I called Magneshade and if I cut off the magnets and send them back they would credit me for about 150 dollars and I would pay the rest for a new shade. They even told me to perhaps offer it for sale in the classified area here. Not quite sure which way to go.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
Spoke with Magneshade folks as I purchased a window shade for my essex last summer, used it for a month or two at the most. We then traded to a foretravel, would like to keep shade, but I don't have a heavy enough machine to modify it. I called Magneshade and if I cut off the magnets and send them back they would credit me for about 150 dollars and I would pay the rest for a new shade. They even told me to perhaps offer it for sale in the classified area here. Not quite sure which way to go.

I think you would be better selling it. Essex is a very popular rig and most people that have them do not want to get on a ladder. Try Craig's list and the local Newmar dealer. I bet you can get 500 on it easy.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Roger has no obligation to help you copy his product and I respect him all the more for refusing to do so. He has a great family owned and operated company that has a great product. Everyone should come up with a great idea of their own and make it work as he did.

So , There is no obligation to help copy his product. I was not asking for the blue prints or the keys to the co. vault. I wanted information in a couple of areas which a GOOD BUSINESS MAN will endeavor to provide help for because a GOOD BUSINESS MAN will understand that if He is not able to sell the whole house to the customer perhaps by being helpful He will be able to at least do the foundation or the plumbing or the electrical or make a sale in some other related area. Just because someone has a great family owned and operated company does not mean they cannot be helpful and definitely does not make them immune from competition. As for patents; Patents in this day and time are marginal because as the old saying goes "( There is more than one way to skin a cat"). Anyhow I have done my research and identified the materials and procedures I want to use [Moderator Edit]
Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 AM   #34

Holy Cow indeed!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #35

I recently purchased a Magneshade for our coach. On our prior coach, I had a Prompt shade. ( RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing ) _ The prompt was much less price wise, went on as easy or easier than the Magneshade and had a better fit.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I recently purchased a Magneshade for our coach. On our prior coach, I had a Prompt shade. ( RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing ) _ The prompt was much less price wise, went on as easy or easier than the Magneshade and had a better fit.

I had a Prompt shed before the Magna. Nothing wrong with the Prompt but in my Moho I could never get it on tight. I always had wrinkles until I got the ladder out and readjusted things. I talked to customer service several times and had them send me new parts. We ended up deciding to sell it as I am not wanting to use the ladder to put it on correctly. It is a good product just not as easy as the Magna in my opinion.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Holy Cow indeed!

Yes Indeed.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycow View Post
Yes Indeed.
Exactly!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #39

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
Have you ever?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I'm like Holycow and wanted to save a few bucks. So I made my own using Textilene 90%, a heavier screen shade fabric than many of the commercially made shades. I first made a paper template, took it to my buddy at the awning shop and told him what I needed, pockets, seam binding, etc. We installed 35# neodymium magnets in the pockets and used 3M foam tape for the inside magnets.

Two used pool cues work great for hanging the shade. And, just a yank to remove it.

MagnaShades offer a great product for the folks that aren't as handy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461906931.727178.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	125560

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #41

Would a MagnaShade be recommended even with internal MCD shades?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #42
dms

Absolutely! Magneshade blocks the heat before it gets inside the coach. The gap between the glass and the MCD shade allows the heat to get inside. When facing the hot sun, the Magneshade will keep the coach 5-10 degrees cooler.

Tags
solar