Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Would a MagnaShade be recommended even with internal MCD shades?

I have a 40' Moho with 2 13500 A/C's. We were in Florida with 95 degrees and the coach stayed very comfortable. The Magna Shades make a huge difference.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Would a MagnaShade be recommended even with internal MCD shades?
Any external shade, especially on the windshield will make a HUGE difference over internal shades. Internal shades let much more heat through the glass that will be noticed, especially as you get closer to the windshield. Having gone through one summer without external shades I can attest to the big difference they make.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #45

Don't forget the side windows

Don't cheese when you order. Get the cab front side windows too. These made the most difference as in most coaches, these are single pane windows for reasons I shall never comprehend. The heat that comes through them is outrageous and interior solar shades help little. I use the interior solar only to block the sun when I am driving and that helps but is minimally effective for heat when the coach is parked. I don't always put the front on like when facing due north but still put the sides on. as the east or west sun will bake.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
As noted, Magneshade is a great product. I'm kinda cheap and like DIY projects so decided to make my own version. If you are handy, it is not a terribly difficult project. My write up is here:
Windshield Sun Cover - JdFinley.com

These types of shades definitely make a big difference!!

The only negative I've experienced is putting them up when it is windy - it is an exercise in frustration. So, I wait til calm.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #47

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
I am really interested in these Magneshades and don't mind paying for a good product but man, I just did the math and it would be close to $900 to get a set for the front window and two sides. Do they ever run a sale?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
We recommend the DIY method using the Phifertex product. We have made several sunscreens with it for our boat as well. Match the color to your paint scheme, it is screen density not color that cuts the sun and heat. We did not do magnets, we have a loop in the center that goes over the spotlight, and a loop on each end that connects around the Hadley's. The loops are made w 1 inch nylon webbing, the side connectors are webbing connectors. We used screw in post connectors on each bottom corner to hold the corners taught. Looks good in light beige, works good in TX and AZ heat. You can order the material from Sailrite.com, we have used them for many marine projects as well. I expect you can do the job under $200. BTW you DO have to go up the ladder to install but we don't find that an issue at 65+.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #49

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FWIW we bought an economy windshield cover to see if we like it and the issue of not having a ground ladder to install one. There are existing male snaps on our coach so we added the female snaps on the cover vice their nylon webing around the sat dish. Issue 1. Burned the crap out of my knee leaning over the edge to snap the top snaps. The dark paint is HOT. Issue 2. We left the webing on as pull strap (pulling the cover up vice trying to climbthe rear ladder with it). I just laid the strap around the sat dosh to hold it in place until I could get it snapped on. Well, after two months, the webing disentegrated in the sun. Still undecided on going with a quality product as I can replace the economy one every year for 5 years and still come out ahead. We are starting year two of FL sun so we'll see how long it holds up (minus the webing).
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:21 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
As noted, Magneshade is a great product. I'm kinda cheap and like DIY projects so decided to make my own version. If you are handy, it is not a terribly difficult project. My write up is here:
Windshield Sun Cover - JdFinley.com

These types of shades definitely make a big difference!!

The only negative I've experienced is putting them up when it is windy - it is an exercise in frustration. So, I wait til calm.

I read your article and that is an excellent write up and an excellent job on doing your own shades. The only thing I would do different and have done different is go with N46 or 48 neodimium magnets in the size of 1" in diameter and 1/8" thick. The 52s have a little to much attraction and with your sizes there could be a hard landing on the glass and could break the windshield or other glass. I know with mine I place the magnet with my stick on the glass just below the interior magnet and slide it up to meet the interior magnet. works good. They hang in during windy times too. I am happy to see others doing their own shades. $800.00/$900.00 is a little extreme to pay for shades.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycow View Post
I read your article and that is an excellent write up and an excellent job on doing your own shades.
Thanks holycow - appreciate the kind words!
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV Sunshades

We had a nice chat with a couple folks during our last stay in Laughlin. They had a set of sun shades and wheel covers from the http://www.rvsunshadeco.com Can't tell you much else but they were very happy with them.
tominvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
RV Sun shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominvegas View Post
We had a nice chat with a couple folks during our last stay in Laughlin. They had a set of sun shades and wheel covers from the RV Sunshade Company for RV Sunscreens, Wheel Covers, Mirror Covers and Awning Drops. Custom UV protection for your RV, manufacturered and installed onsite. Can't tell you much else but they were very happy with them.

I am familiar with those. They are good quality shades at a very fair and reasonable cost. Not overpriced like some out there are.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #54
SMB

Have older RV with tabs already installed but no curtains, so rather than create additional holes in sides I went on line and bought Coolaroo material bulk. Got 90% shade in 6' X 15' roll for under $30. Took it to my upholstery guy he's stitching in seatbelt material for a boarder and we will fit grommets to match the already available tabs. Total around $230 +/-?. They have colors.

Happy Trails

SMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar