Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 03:00 AM   #1

Solar Panel Monitors

After parking my coach under a carport for about 4 days & also having cloudy weather, I noticed that 2 of my 3 solar monitors aren't showing any voltage. The 3rd one seems to be working fine. Would the cloudy weather & under cover parking cause this?? Thanks Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshotrod View Post
After parking my coach under a carport for about 4 days & also having cloudy weather, I noticed that 2 of my 3 solar monitors aren't showing any voltage. The 3rd one seems to be working fine. Would the cloudy weather & under cover parking cause this?? Thanks Bob
DUH
Try moving it out into the SUN and see for yourself.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
DUH
Seems a little harsh. Might have asked if he had tried moving it out in the sun before the DUH comment.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
DUH
People are not all experts. They come here for help not idiotic answers!!!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

Solar issues

Thanks for the feedback. First time dealing with solar. I found it odd that one is working fine. Will roll out into the sun!!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Let us know what you find out
Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Solar pretty much depends on direct sun light for them to work. I see big differences on mine when it is cloudy.

When I first bought my 2002 Windsor in 2008 I was not knowledgeable about solar so I started to do some research. I now know enough to understand the system and maintain it as needed.

I have 3 solar panels, one installed by Monaco and the other 2 installed by the previous owner. I only have 1 controller that shows the output of all the panels combined. To test I disconnected each of the 3 panels and read voltage at full sunlight. The only one working was the OEM installed.

I called the manufacturer of the controller and questioned them about what kind of amps I should be seeing. They asked about the 2 panels that did not work. They were Kyocera >>> he informed me that Kyocera had a large recall on some of their panels and to contact them and see what they said. I did, provided them with the model and SN of the panels, both were under recall and they sent me 2 new panels, pretty good since I was not the initial owner or installer. I installed them and they have worked great for the last +6 years. I had to replace the main junction box as the corrosion was bad so I installed an new enclosure and terminal block.

I have 1-85 watt and 2 125 watt panels for a total of 335 watt. 2 years ago I wanted to check their performance so I took large pieces of card board and covered 2 out of 3, recording the amperage. I then moved the card board and checked the other 2 individually also. I then compared the separate readings to the output when all 3 uncovered, I was getting about 16 amps of charge. The panels charge at about 15 volts so 335/15 = ~22 amp. So I was getting about 16/22=72% efficiency. Since my panels are mounted flat I was satisfied with the output.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Solar Panel Monitors

Be aware of how your three panels are interconnected. If wired in series, if one panel is shaded the output of all are impacted. If wired in parallel each panel will produce power independently.

It sounds like your three are wired in parallel from the description of the experience and that your monitor can report on each panel independently. What brand and model monitor do you have?

Vince
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well excuse me for stating the obvious. SOLAR meaning having to due with the sun.
This is the age of computers and Smart Phones. There are a lot things that can be investigated and or looked up very quickly and easily due to the internet.
Yes this is a place to ask questions and hopefully get answers but we all owe it to ourselves to use what we have been given to get some answers to some questions.

It may have been a Smart ARSE remark, however I did give him a way to check out his system and possibly answer his own question. So come down off your sop boxes and get a grip on life.

Now I'm done venting.
Have a nice day.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Well excuse me for stating the obvious. SOLAR meaning having to due with the sun.
This is the age of computers and Smart Phones. There are a lot things that can be investigated and or looked up very quickly and easily due to the internet.
Yes this is a place to ask questions and hopefully get answers but we all owe it to ourselves to use what we have been given to get some answers to some questions.

It may have been a Smart ARSE remark, however I did give him a way to check out his system and possibly answer his own question. So come down off your sop boxes and get a grip on life.

Now I'm done venting.
Have a nice day.
No soap box, just wanted to point out you can state the obvious with out being a "Smart ARSE", especially to a fairly new member.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel