Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Ordering a new motorhome and the factory offers 2-60w solar panels as an option as well as the Vorad System. Any feed back on the performance of either?

Tireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Ordering a new motorhome and the factory offers 2-60w solar panels as an option as well as the Vorad System. Any feed back on the performance of either?

Tireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generally speaking, solar panels are a good thing. We have one on our MH. It is a small panel, don't remember the wattage exactly, and it will keep our batteries fully charged while in storage. I would go for the panels.

I have not heard of the Vorad system so I can't help you there.

Enjoy your new MH.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
I have some pretty extensive experiance testing Vorad systems on big trucks. I can tell you they have proven themselves to improving safety results. they are good systems, however...

For the same reasons they haven't really "Hit" in the commerical world, the won't "Hit" in the RV sector. The are simply too expensive, and most people are not willing to pay for a machine that does what they can and are supposed to do.

One thing I did find interesting with our testing of vorad systems. When we took one of our drivers who had the system installed for more than 90 days, and put him in another unit without the system, the likelyhood of that driver having an accident increased over 100%. Basically the driver became dependant on the system, and complacent in basic driving techniques.

Overall, I think they are good ideas, and they work well, but they are costly. Frankly I am still in the camp that they are really overkill.

My thoughts...

"It's always wrong, everywhere, for anyone, to believe anything beyond insufficient evidence" -- William Kingdon Clifford

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
To; Bill W1234;

Re; Solar panels,

As you can see by my signature, I believe in solar.

To get the most out of solar you must have enough battery storage which often means adding more batteries.

Solar and batteries make you LESS dependent on outside power.

Hope this info helps.

ajbjrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
I just got a 45watt panel from harborfreight for christmas i got it all hooked up..
the dang thing works awsume, now im thinking about getting a 200watt panels, here in arizona they work fine

WaveMaker is offline   Reply With Quote