Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Solar voltage???

I have a 2004 Monaco Sig with 1 solar panel and a controller. I just noticed on the display that the solar voltage is about 13 to 14 volts and 1 to 2 amps. When I plug in the coach the voltage jumps to 24 volts and the amps are blank. I don’t remember that happening before. I don’t know if that is right, I put my Fluke meter on the controller and it was right (24 volts). What do you think is happening????

Any ideas will help

Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #2

Dave,

Does the voltage settle at 24V on the button or does it fluctuate at all? The open circuit voltage of a 12V panel is about 21V. But in order for you to read OC voltage on your controller, the panel would have to disconnect from the load, I can't imagine how that would happen when you plug into shore power. Unless, there is a relay that operates when you go to shore power so that you do disconnect the panel.

Has it always operated this way or did it just start?

I've got 6 135W panels on my rig and have never seen that happen when I plug into shore power.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Paul, it stays at 24 volts with 0 amps showing. On a sunny day it, unpluged it will read 13 - 14 volts and 2 - 3 amps. The panal is a 100 w with a Heliotrope RV 45 D controller. I just got back from where it is parked, I unpluged it for 10 minutes the voltage came down to 14.5 volts. I then pluged it back in and the voltage stayed at 14.5 for 15 minutes before I left again. I always jumped to 24 volts within 1 minute. Maybe a selinoid was stuck????

Dave
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #4

I've been doing some reading on your RV 45D controller it will charge your house and starting batteries. By the way, Heliotrope no longer makes it but you can get repair work and parts for it, just an FYI.

It could be a stuck relay and it was looking at both the house and starting batteries. Sounds like you've cleared the problem

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #5

Just called Heliotrope and they say that reading 24 volts when plugged into shore power is 100% normal. What he said is that it is the voltage the RV45D controller indicates for an open circuit because when plugged into shore power the controller shuts off the charge to the batteries and it therefore reads 24 volts. 24 volts is NOT going to the batteries.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, I guess that is the way it is supposed to work. I still have lots to learn about this coach. Thanks Mike....

Dave
Old 12-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #7

We will always be learning on these things.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote